C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How to a mod and keep warranty coverage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Steel Gray C63
How to a mod and keep warranty coverage?

So I've got an 09 that is a CPO car with lots of warranty left. Risking the warranty for slight power gains does not excite me.

So far I have...
Lighter Wheels & Tires (ordered)

Next I'm thinking:
Lighter rotors
K&n filter
Lighter exhaust (worth it?)
Carbon fiber hood
Somehow getting a factory p31 tuned ecu

Suggestions? This is a DD so light batteries, seat removal and things like that may not be practical for every day use.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
An aftermarket tune nets you about 80hp. So it's not exactly "slight"

Originally Posted by AMGeez
So I've got an 09 that is a CPO car with lots of warranty left. Risking the warranty for slight power gains does not excite me.

So far I have...
Lighter Wheels & Tires (ordered) Not going to void your warranty.

Next I'm thinking:
Lighter rotors
Not going to void your warranty because you're not going to warranty claim rotors that you have replaced.
K&n filter
They might not honor your warranty claim for a replacement Mass air flow sensor if your K&N's are over oiled. Most dealership know about the K&N filters mucking up the MAF's.

Probably not worth it.
Carbon fiber hood
Not going to void your warranty.
This is not going to happen. I've tried to go this route and it didn't work.
Suggestions? This is a DD so light batteries, seat removal and things like that may not be practical for every day use.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
You take a chance with a tune. If you have a good relationship with your MB adviser, talk to him/her and see what their policy is. I understand it is not bullet proof but if they say from the start that they will not tolerate any kind of changes, then I would not take the risk.
If on the other hand, they are willing to look the other way and still help you the best way they can and warranty the car, then you may want to take the chance.
X63 that a tune is not a slight increase in power. It really wakes up the devil inside
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by AMGeez

So far I have...
Lighter Wheels & Tires (ordered)

Next I'm thinking:
Lighter rotors
K&n filter
Carbon fiber hood

Good ideas to save weight.

Which tires did you order?

I think lighter exhaust is very worth it. Any weight savings you can find would be great. How much weight are you going to be able to drop with the lighter exhaust?

How are you planning on getting a factory p31 tuned ecu?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Its all about picking your service adviser. Here are some of my tips after modding the heck out of 2 AMG's and still getting warranty coverage.

1) Pick your service adviser wisely. Don't let the person who schedules appointments (Usually the first person you speak to on the phone when calling to get your car in) pick for you.

2) check the local dealers website. In some cases they have video or info on each service team or team leader. A picture and a bit about them always helps when making a judgement call, if that all you are willing to do.

3) Find a local performance shop that deals with Mercedes. If they are local to the dealer chances are they know someone in service who they can refer you to.

4) Ask a friend or someone on the forum who might be able to recommend someone to you if they live in the same area as you.

5) Once you find a service adviser you feel comfortable with, build a relationship with them. Talk sports if they like sports, talk cars, or anything they might be interested in.

6) maintain that relationship. After a your first service for something basic or unrelated to any mods. For example if your power seat craps out. I have given my service adviser a $25 gift card to a local restaurant so he can have lunch for free.

7) Return to stock if you can. Although the tactics may be different for superchared and NA cars. As in taking overdriven crank pulleys off or just flashing the car back to stock.

8) Never have your car towed directly to the dealer. I like to have my car taking to the performance shop of my choosing to have them make a quick diagnosis of the problem. A good shop will be able to tell you what the issue is. Even if it cost you $100 to $200 to do it, its worth it. That way the dealer knows where to look for the issue rather then have them poke around at everything before they find it. In turn the cost of couple hundred bucks could help keep all of your warranty in tacked.

9) if you can fix it for low out of pocket cost, just do it. if its just something cheap or stupid that went wrong there is no need to have your car under the eyes of the dealer.

10) deny everything. Play dumb. they are on a need to know basis. If they can't see the mod like they can see intakes, headers and what not. Them they really never need to know about it IMO.

11) If they deny a claim ask to speak to the regional manager. Some dealers like to keep things or resolve things in house rather then reaching out to a higher level.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Ultimately, for a manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, they need to make a case that your modification likely contributed to the problem.
i.e. they can't deny a claim for an electrical problem because you put an aftermarket exhaust on the car.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
But you'd rather spend 10k on rims wheels rotors hood blah blah to save 200lbs? lol

Get 2 ECUs, flash one, keep your stock one and be done with it. Buy the ECU at a different dealer then where you get your service done. I dont think their systems are connected... Even if they say something, its for down the road when your warranty is up or you changed your mind. Did this myself and they know I have the secondary ECU but have never said anything about it and I just had major warranty work done.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
If you really don't want to touch the ecu like others are suggesting you're pretty much left with CF trunk and CF roof. The roof will eliminate the moon roof though.