Gloss Black Grill options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like The Stig
Gloss Black Grill options?

Hey guys,

Im doing my trim in gloss black vinyl next week and want to match my front grill, what are my options to paint my grill in a gloss black finish or should i just do matte trim and matte grill with plasti dip?? Any pictures of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

I also found this stuff dont know if it works any experience with it?

http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2011/1...dip-enhancers/
Old 12-15-2011, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I've done plasti dip on my emblems but stuck with 3M wrap on the grill and side window chrome trim. Since you're already doing your trim in wrap you might as well have them do the grill. If they tell you they can't get to the outer chrome bezel on the grill, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to take the grill off (really easy) so they can wrap it properly. The plasti dip is just not durable to hold up to on the front. It's great for the emblems because it's easy to just spray on without much masking and just peel off the area you don't need. My matte grill is on my sig.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 12-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Like The Stig
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
I've done plasti dip on my emblems but stuck with 3M wrap on the grill and side window chrome trim. Since you're already doing you trim in wrap you might as well have them do the grill. If they tell you they can't get to the outer chrome bezel on the grill, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to take the grill off (really easy) so they can wrap it properly. The plasti dip is just not durable to hold up to on the front. It's great for the emblems because it's easy to just spray on without much masking and just peel off the area you don't need. My matte grill is on my sig.
Will do man, thanks for the info
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM

2005 S55 AMG
Hey, I'm not sure if this is a late comment, but I know people who have plastidipped their grilles, and they came out quite well. Plastidip is very durable, and touch-ups are easy. Also, if you want gloss black, plastidip sells a glossifier that you just spray over the regular plastidip. One coat starts off with a satin finish, and more coats become glossy. And it peels off with the regular plastidip. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 PM

C63, CLS550, CLK BS, Sprinter Passenger Van, Odyssey
Originally Posted by pcasso87
Hey guys,

Im doing my trim in gloss black vinyl next week and want to match my front grill, what are my options to paint my grill in a gloss black finish or should i just do matte trim and matte grill with plasti dip?? Any pictures of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

I also found this stuff dont know if it works any experience with it?

http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2011/1...dip-enhancers/
I used it accidently when I bought the wrong paint. It makes things look cheap. Don't recommended it.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM

2005 S55 AMG
the plastidip looks cheap? I am gonna try it soon, and I'll add the glossifier. If it doesn't look good, I'll peel it off.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by PersianBoi
the plastidip looks cheap? I am gonna try it soon, and I'll add the glossifier. If it doesn't look good, I'll peel it off.
I just applied plastidip to my grill and rear chrome trim....I'm pretty satisfied with the result. it looks perfect until you get really close then you can see its not the smoothest finish....but from where most people will see it it looks awesome!

Wrap/ paint will look better from up close obviously
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
this looks like a old post. do u have photos of ur finished work?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Like The Stig
Originally Posted by farhadahmad
this looks like a old post. do u have photos of ur finished work?
I ended up going with a matte finish since the gloss black made to many lines. The matte blends up nicely. My car is in service right now but as soon as i get it back ill post some pics.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM

2005 S55 AMG
Farhad, are you Iranian?