C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How to change plate lights 09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change plate lights 09

How do remove the factory bulbs ? And which bulbs are needed to look really Bright !!!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
You have to take apart the entire trunk lining and some of the trim. It's not that hard but it can be a challenge if you don't know what you're doing. I got LEDs from ijdmtoy. They also have instructions on their website. I didn't use them because you can figure it out with half a brain.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Here are the lights I purchased:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-C-...e-led-a-s3.htm

Here are the instructions:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-W2...-DIY-a/198.htm

If you do it yourself, here are some tips from when I did it...

--Start with the car/lights off
--You'll need a medium-sized star screw driver/wrench
--You'll need to remove your license plate
--It's much easier to remove the trunk trim where the handle release is AFTER you take apart the inner lining and reach inside. There are several plastic bits that you need to squeeze to release. They snap back into place when you reinstall it. Some gentle bumping may be needed to "click" them into place. There are also some anchors (mine were yellow) that you also need to release. Pliers work well here. Be careful not to scratch your trunk with the edges of the trim. It should pull slightly down and out, away from the trunk. There are also 2 more star screws INSIDE of the trunk where you would have released the other clips. I had to use a wrench attached to a star key to remove it. Otherwise, the trim will not come off.
--I would recommend some electrical tape to make sure they stay in place. The stock bulb and housing screw and lock in like the other smaller trunk light (disconnecting that might make it easier to access the behind-the-trunk space too). These LEDs just plug in and hang until you reassemble everything.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank u, I thought so but wen i tried hoped it was easy never is !!!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Nope.

I would be too long to do a tutorial, but it is fairly straightforward. The tricky part is removing that trim piece from the inside. You really have to pull the lining out of the way and sort of lean backwards into it (like a glamorous pseudo-limbo pose).

Just remember the 2 star screws you need to remove inside of the trunk behind the trunk release latch, otherwise, the trim won't come off. And the (mine are yellow) anchors that you need pliers for to also remove the trim. Once you get in there behind the lining, you'll see what I mean.