Had an accident with my C63....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML350, Mercedes C63 AMG
Had an accident with my C63....

Bad luck for me and my wife yesterday….

We had to go to the hospital for a checkup for my wife, she is 6 months pregnant and will be leaving for a holiday for 4 weeks today. We had to be there at noon for an echo and had an appointment with a docter 20 minutes later, after waiting for more then 1,5 hours we finnaly had the appointment that didn’t even last 5 minutes…. Well everything was fine so we went home again.

When I was almost home I stopped at a red traffic light for turning left. As soon as the light went green I accelerated(slowly because it rained) and turned left, all of a sudden my wife yelled WATCH OUT, I slammed the brakes but was already too late, a car coming from the opposite direction drove through a red light and slammed/scraped into the front of my car.
After checking if she was fine I jumped out of the car and told the other driver (in a ‘not so nice’ manner) how I felt about the situation.
He first thought that he had green light but after explaining to him that the cars next to him were standing still (3 lanes were the other 2 lanes were standing still) he understood that he must have crossed the red light and apologized.

Within no time a police commandant and a police in civilian were at the scene and after a few minutes, 3 police cars, 2 fire trucks, 1 ambulance, police motor, tow truck and 2 other road assist vehicles were at the scene.

At first my wife said she was okay but I wanted to get here checked by the ambulance staff, after first examination everything was fine but because she leaves today for a holiday we went back to the hospital for extra checks, she had to stay for several hours and had extra echo’s and blood examination, everything was fine and she could go home after 6 hours.

One thing that I absolutely don’t understand is that no one and I mean no one! stopped for us. The guy went almost 70KM/u and slammed into us, causing a lot of debris and oil to spill over the road. People just run over the debris like nothing happened. A man of roughly 60 years old was in the car behind me, he also had to brake but as soon as the other car slammed into me he just steered around us and took off! At least 20-30 cars witnessed the whole thing and all didn’t care….
Looking back at the accident we were very lucky, if it was dry and I accelerated a bit faster he would for sure hit us right in the side were my wife was sitting, also my 3 year old daughter was not in the car because she was at pre-school.

The car itself didn’t look too bad at first but after more examination it does look bad. Between the passengers door and the front fender there is a gap of around 2CM and on the driver’s side the front fender is blocking the driver’s door, so the whole front must be twisted. Also the support beam in the front was completely ripped off; oil coolers were also torn of. The car has been towed away to a nearby Mercedes dealer and tomorrow a damage expert will have a look at the car.

Last edited by TonCoronel; 06-05-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Sorry to hear that. Glad to here your wife and her passenger are all right
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
that sux!!!!!

sorry you had to endure this because of some other ninny not paying enough attention....
people ( in most of my dealings........suck bad)

good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 AM

C63
Glad to hear everyone was fine after that hit.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
I feel for you but, as others have said, it could have been much worse. Cars can be easily replaced, not so with loved ones. Get it fixed or replaced and drive with a smile.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM

2009 C63 AMG
First, I am glad your daughter was not on board and your wife (new baby) is ok.

Second, I'm sad to see your car in that state. I hope the engine is ok.

Third, I hope you get to sue the crap out of that other driver.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Glad to hear everyone is okay. There is a post in the past few days on the E63 side on another accident.

Yes, the way people not even stopping to check on others is really disheartening. You can see similar on various accident videos on liveleak.com. Unfortunately, it's like that all over the world. However, it's nice that at some places, people do come out to check on others.

By the way, where are you located? I'm not familar with yellow plates.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
wow... glad to hear you and your wife is ok. Definitely keep a close eye on her over the next couple of days.

As for the accident, did the officer explicity pen down that the other driver was at 100% fault?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Wow that was a nasty whack. Hope you're both OK. Hope the other guy has good insurance. Pray your insurance company will total it out. Have it taken to the most expensive shop you can find for the adjuster to look at and meet him there when he goes over the car. If it's not totaled, make sure you pursue a diminishment in value claim against the other insurance company as I'm sure it will show frame damage on a Carfax when you go to sell it.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Good to hear that you and your family is safe. I see that you are located in the Netherlands, I am in Germany and I must say that I have seen exactly the same thing over and over again in Germany with others not stopping and wanting to help or assist.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Sorry to see that happen to such a beautiful car, the pictures made me cringe.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TonCoronel
The car itself didn’t look too bad at first but after more examination it does look bad. Between the passengers door and the front fender there is a gap of around 2CM and on the driver’s side the front fender is blocking the driver’s door, so the whole front must be twisted. Also the support beam in the front was completely ripped off; oil coolers were also torn of. The car has been towed away to a nearby Mercedes dealer and tomorrow a damage expert will have a look at the car.

Glad everyone is ok. Based on what you described, are you RHD? Did he admit fault to the police? I have seen people change their story and it is a toss-up if there are not witnesses around. Hope everything works in your favor.

Last edited by Sincity; 06-06-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Wow, sorry to hear. Glad you and your wife are ok.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
From the looks of it your car is 100000% totaled....sorry about the incident...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM

2012 C63 Black Series
I'm happy to hear that everyone was safe, especially the bun in the oven.
you are right, the people who usually stop are the ones who didn't witness the accident and just want to look. The people that could actually help report the accident usually speed off.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Glad to see all occupants are safe... car looks like it will be totaled due to frame damage as you described.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Ouch! Glad you and the rest of the family are ok. Not sure about insurance laws where you're at, but that'd most likely be considered a total loss in the US. Did the police get any statements from witnesses? Did the other guy admit fault?

Whoever said to sue him... I think that's unnecessary. Insurance will cover all the bills. A law suit is just frivolous.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Mercedes ML350, Mercedes C63 AMG
Thanks all for the kind words, im glad were all okay.

I am not looking to sue anyone, the guy who hit us was vey cooperative and later that evening came by to fill in all the papers for the insuirance companys, he admitted in the papers to have run the red light and both parties signed the form, so that should be covered. In the Netherlands eveyone has to have an insurance when owning a car and that insurance allways covers the damage of the other party when its this persons fault.

Already went to the dealer today and there first estimation is that the repairs will be around 15 to 20k depending on what they might find. Tomorrow an expert from the insurance company will also make a first estimate and then the repair proces will start. A second hand 2008 c63 will do anything between 55 and 65k euros thats around 80k in dollars so both the dealer and I dont think its totalled.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
It's comforting to know at least the person at fault was honest. Here in the northeast US (esp the greater NYC and NJ area), I'm fairly certain the person at fault would change the story. As a result of that lots of people are having dashcams nowadays to protect themselves, ie all those dashcams in Russia. I am also considering getting a GoPro because of the risk.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm sorry to hear about that. I tried to write earlier but the forum was acting up. I'm just glad your family is alright.

About people not stopping, that really pisses me off. I see people like that all the time. I'm the type of guy who calls 911 just to make sure it's called in. In my psychology class in hs, we learned about Kitty Genovese. The short of it was she was murdered right outside of her apartment and no witnesses did anything, because they were sacred or they just assumed someone else already called. I believe a judge recently held a whole panel of witnesses accountable for negligence.

I witnessed an accident on my way to drop my gf some food at the hospital where she works and two cars collided in the intersection in front of me. I immediately blocked off the lane with my car, checked if the two women were okay, called 911, and directed traffic until mall security showed up. I stayed long enough to give the police my statement.

Another time, a fight broke out in a sushi joint and other than the server and bus boy who were already stuck in the middle, I was the only one who helped separate them.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but come on. Where has public decency gone? It seems like the word 'honor' doesn't really exist anymore.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
I'm sorry to hear about that. I tried to write earlier but the forum was acting up. I'm just glad your family is alright.

About people not stopping, that really pisses me off. I see people like that all the time. I'm the type of guy who calls 911 just to make sure it's called in. In my psychology class in hs, we learned about Kitty Genovese. The short of it was she was murdered right outside of her apartment and no witnesses did anything, because they were sacred or they just assumed someone else already called. I believe a judge recently held a whole panel of witnesses accountable for negligence.

I witnessed an accident on my way to drop my gf some food at the hospital where she works and two cars collided in the intersection in front of me. I immediately blocked off the lane with my car, checked if the two women were okay, called 911, and directed traffic until mall security showed up. I stayed long enough to give the police my statement.

Another time, a fight broke out in a sushi joint and other than the server and bus boy who were already stuck in the middle, I was the only one who helped separate them.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but come on. Where has public decency gone? It seems like the word 'honor' doesn't really exist anymore.
Coming from the victim side at one point, I completely agree. I was involved in an accident a little over a year ago, and basically the back end of my car had caught fire. It was a small one but I had frantically tried to put it out. I called for help. People just stared and drove off on their merry way. It was only one other car who had also pulled over (a kind man and his wife) who ran over with water bottles for me to use to put out the fire. Really though, it's just human nature sometimes to avoid doing something that seems out of the way for them. Sad but true. Although in cases like mine, it shows that there are indeed exceptions to that statement.

To the OP, I'm glad you're on your way to getting your car fixed up and that the other party was cooperative. I'm sure you were mad at the inaction of all of the spectators around you, but I suppose downplay humanity (if that's the right thing to call it) from that since I'm sure even if those people didn't help you, others would have. Anyways, keep us posted on your family/car's road to recovery and I hope the next few weeks go by without incident.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Glad everyone is okay. Car will get fixed.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
sorry for your car but glad everything is working out fine! its just a car!

as for everyone talking about helping others incase of an accident, just beware if you do decide to help. make sure you are in a safe place, otherwise you may be the victim of more accidents! Around here, there was someone who got in a really bad accident. two very nice couples passing by decided to stop and help, but unforunately another car drove by unexpectedly and crashed into the car of the people who were helping and serverly injured them. Just be careful if you want to help someone
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM

2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Originally Posted by TonCoronel
Already went to the dealer today and there first estimation is that the repairs will be around 15 to 20k depending on what they might find. Tomorrow an expert from the insurance company will also make a first estimate and then the repair proces will start. A second hand 2008 c63 will do anything between 55 and 65k euros thats around 80k in dollars so both the dealer and I dont think its totalled.
Im glad that you and your family are ok. I can imagine the worry with the wife expecting.

I experienced a lighter collision last month and mine was in the 15 to 20k area. I can gaurantee yours will be more.

Last edited by blackc230benzo; 06-05-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 PM

2009 c63
Glad to hear everything's fine. Those MB sure know how to take a hit... Happen to me b4 with my b7 Audi s4 .... Was waiting at a light and got hit by a drunk driver .... God damn German saved my life.... Couldn't say much for the DD that took off after

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had an accident with my C63....