Sponsored by:

c63 standard saloon vs 507 coupe - quick comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
c63 standard saloon vs 507 coupe - quick comparison

I have a fairly new standard saloon (1700 miles) as a loaner car from the dealership at the moment - it is standard with 19" wheels. Mine is in for a centre console and parcel shelf de-creak - the Saloon has no creaks by the way.

Interiors - I didn't realize how different the interiors where between the two - different seats - Coupe has electric head rests and different lumbar support, panoramic sunroof roof in Coupe looks high class, different door trims (completely different)- I prefer the door trims in the Coupe but I also have the alcantara inserts and I think that looks a bit more 'special'. Coupe wins on interior IMO but I didn't know they were different until today.

Performance - the 507 (and I suspect the exact same from a PP car) feels faster - there appears to be more power/frenzy from around 4.5-6.5k - I can floor the standard car in three gears and it feels quick but not quite as quick as the 507.

Noise - there is a difference - the difference is that my 507, if I drive in manual mode, say in 2nd or 3rd and then come off the throttle it pops and bangs much more (in a good way) - I have tested loads and the standard car is not doing it. Again, 507 and PP car probably identical in this respect. I am also sure my 507 has a louder bark when changing from 2nd to 3rd...but otherwise the same.

Handling - okay - what is interesting is the standard car doesn't have a LSD - my 507 does. I have spent a couple of hours in the Saloon and I cannot tell a difference LSD vs non LSD on some of my favorite roads (obviously not a race track), EXCEPT the Saloon spins it rear wheels up all the time in 1st gear as it hits the power band - my 507, although it will spin the wheels it doesn't do it on every major throttle. I think that is the LSD - both cars have the same tyres.

Overall, the standard (saloon) is a joy to drive - handles really nice and of course it has the same engine that we love - also looks really nice in Silver - much more understated than my white coupe with go faster stripes, black wheels and big red calipers.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Have been wondering about the difference myself. So more pops and crackles. Does the standard c63 have an exhaust 'fart' on change up at max revs? I don't experience this much as you will be going very fast at max revs in any gear, but I love it!

What about the exhaust note in general. How do they compare?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 AM

C63
Other than the extra pops/burbles - the exhaust note seems the same - it still barks/farts when changing gear. One thing I did notice about the sedan is that you can drive with the rear windows open (they dont open on Coupe) and enjoy more exhaust noise ...
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Try putting the rear seats down and see how the exhaust sounds. I had to put mine down one day and fell in love with the extra noise so the seats are always down. I'd be willing to bet the extra noise on the coupe is due to some kind of sound deadening difference between the coupe and saloon. I'm not an expert on the 507. Does it have a different exhaust?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM

C63
I think exhausts are the same - the extra noise is on the overrun - I expect that is a result of the 507s different internals or engine map to a standard c63. I expect the P31 (or performance pack car in the UK) is identical in sound to the 507.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
My 2012 crackles and pops like nothing. I do have a tune though so perhaps it's made that more pronounced. I don't really remember how it sounded pre-tune.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
My standard sedan farts all the time during the downshifts. I have a tune but she did that before the tune as well.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
I have a tune and resonator delete on my 2010. I've got angry cold starts, lane clearing acceleration notes, and burbles & gurbles when approaching a stop. The 507 seems nice but I like my run-of-the-mill C63 with a few tweaks. Even a cross town trip to the dojo elicits testosterone challenges from Civics to Raptors to Taurus SHO to . . . "can't we all just get along". Anyway, back to my original point - my friend David was right. $90 for a resonator delete is a superb mod.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
I have a tune and resonator delete on my 2010. I've got angry cold starts, lane clearing acceleration notes, and burbles & gurbles when approaching a stop. The 507 seems nice but I like my run-of-the-mill C63 with a few tweaks. Even a cross town trip to the dojo elicits testosterone challenges from Civics to Raptors to Taurus SHO to . . . "can't we all just get along". Anyway, back to my original point - my friend David was right. $90 for a resonator delete is a superb mod.
And you consider this to be an advantage or somehow positive?