C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

CLA45 vs C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 P31
CLA45 vs C63

After reading many reviews and watching videos of the new CLA45 (and A45), I really wanted to drive the car to see what the fuss is all about. I got a chance to drive a CLA45 at a local dealership last weekend. It was the only car they had, and my sales person was nice enough to let me take it out for a drive.

Here are my (mostly subjective) observations based on that test drive:

1. I didn't make any measurements, but the CLA45 just didn't feel as fast as my 2011 P31. From the low to mid-range torque, to the upper end urgency, the C63 P31 feels a lot quicker.

2. The dual clutch transmission is amazing. Night and day compared to my auto box and the 2012+ MCT. It has a lot less latency as expected, but another thing that makes it really enjoyable is the raspy sound the car makes on upshifts. Very sporty shifting experience. Makes you feel like you are driving a rally/race car!

3. While I didn't get a chance to test the handling of the car due to traffic, the car definitely felt lighter and more nimble than our C63s (again, as expected). This has a negative side to it as it made the car feel a bit "hollow" and tinny compared to the "solid" and heavy feel I get when I drive my C63.

4. The cabin already was squeaking and rattling, and the car didn't even have 100 miles on it yet!

5. The interior has a few nice touches, but overall, it feels like the entry level car that it is. The cabin is a lot more cramped than my C63, and the rear seats are pretty unusable even for short passengers due to the sloping roofline.

6. It looks a lot better in person! I am not a huge fan of the CLA, but the AMG treatment really transforms the car. I loved the multi-spoke wheels.

My overall opinion is a bit mixed. While I admire MB for trying something different from the time tested "hammer" recipe with this four banger 30+mpg AMG, it just didn't feel special enough to earn that AMG badge. The heart and soul of our C63s is the engine and the performance that differentiates it from everything else in it's category (at least when it first came out), but I couldn't find that in the CLA45. It felt like a somewhat ordinary car wrapped in an AMG skin. And at $58k (as tested), it is not far from the price of a discounted C63.

This is just my initial opinion based on a test drive, so take it with a grain of salt. I didn't get a chance to push the car hard on a track or twisty roads, so I may not have found the special ingredient that would make this car grow on me. This test drive just reminded me that we drive a car with a truly special engine, and that sometimes, you need to ignore the hype and cherish what you already have.

Last edited by vmx128; 12-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Well I'm not surprised. What did you expect from a lowerend AMG.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I don't think his views on the CLA45 were that overly negative. The C63 is a helluva car. At least he took the time to do a writeup for those of us that haven't had the chance to drive a CLA45.

Thanks for the quick report, OP.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
Good write up. I love Mercedes & AMG. Even the CLA45 for what it is. It wasn't built to compete with the C63. I think MB did a hell of a job. Maybe you're right with a drive in the twisties or on a track, you might've found that "special" thing. Every car has it's advantages. I've yet to test drive it. They have a tune available now that brings the torque & hp up dramatically.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11312196...-by-mcchip-dkr
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
And the C63 isn't?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
I had a chance to drive both the CLA45 and C63 507 back to back too, and this is a great writeup. I'd add to that that the sound of the 4 cylinders didn't really turn me on... Compared to my 6 cylinders it sounded much more like a tuned civic, and compared to the C63.. Well you know

However the grip was phenomenal, and I'm pretty sure this is faster to 60 than a C63 most of the time. I mean yes, on a perfect smooth hot day you'd get 4.2 in the C63 and 4.4 in the CLA45, but most of the time it would kick its ***.

In the end the price is too expensive to my taste, not only it's too close to a discounted C63, but the interest rates are also much higher.. In the end the monthly payments were very, very close.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 PM

12' ML350 4M & 10' E350 4M
C63 no questions asked!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
And the C63 isn't?
Oh no not the big bad CL -__- some of us could have gotten any other AMG model but didn't want to toss around a land yacht. The c63 is changed significantly from the regular C unlike other AMG's and is relatively light compared to the rest. I just put the rest of the $ into the car and motor
Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
And the C63 isn't?
Based on the class-hierarchy the C63 would rank lowest. In terms of popularity and reputation, the C63 is ranked pretty high. Out of all the AMGs the C63 has the most variants (C63 BS, Edition 507, Solar Beam Edition, F1 Safety, etc.). It is also a known fact that the C63 out sells any other AMGs.

As Ezec63 said, the C63 compared to the other C-classes is night and day. With the higher end AMGs (ie. CLS vs CLS AMG), I don't get that same feeling. It seems to me a matter of giving it a bigger engine and slapping an AMG badge on it.

In regards to the CLA45, it makes sense to be "lower end" because if the CLA45 is better, or as good as the C63, then you would cannibalize C63 sales; much like what BMW is going to run into with their M3/M4 which is a horrible decision. But that's a different discussion.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 AM

AMG
Ok, i own a highly modified C63.

I was able to borrow a CLA45 for a weekend. I'm not being bias, but in my opinion it's sh*t.

Yes it handles good and yes.... Umm that's all I guess. Even the handling isn't that good if you compare it to something like a Mitsubishi EVO.

Mercedes were pissing in people's pockets when they said the 0-100km/h time was the same as the C63 in my opinion.

It's an entry level AMG so you get entry level quality, but wait.. All the new AMG's are going to be coming out with the stick on IPAD etc. For so long AMG has been on top and i'm heart broken to say that other car manufacturers will take over after AMG's new line of cars (C63 5.5tt etc)

The CLA AMG and the A45 AMG in my opinion have made a great, intimidating name like AMG look like peanuts. No longer will the AMG intimidate nor have a rumble that echoes through the streets like lightning and thunder tearing up a city.

Get used to the sh*thouse sound of a twin turbo. Yes the CLA45 sounds like crap, but the 5.5tt and/or the 4.0tt will be in the same boat in my opinion.

Would i ever own a CLA45 - NO. I'd prefer to buy something with more cylinders that sounds good.

I got to have it for a weekend and i couldn't wait to give it back and get into my car again.

I've owned a lot of cars with big HP and I stand by what i'm going to say now... Nothing, I mean nothing compares to a highly modified 6.2l AMG Engine. The torque, the power the response and not to mention the sound.. It has it all. Throw a blower on it and that's marriage material right there.

Last edited by RawBenz; 12-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:20 AM

C63s AMG W205
Unmoded c63 drives only average considering its price brandnew, some guys call it a nice engine, beautiful sound n building quality, yea maybe, but for 1/2 of its money someone easily mod up a nice jap sports car n out beat a stock c63.
For me AMG is the exciting raw blood running in a stream. Its like buying a brand of fashion clothes, why u chose hugo boss over armani?

I listened and drove an A45 AMG, i did feel the same blood running in this little wee machine, it is a proper AMG for anyone who would disagree.
It might a typical american/aussie thing to disrespect anything that has not got more cylinders or burnt a rediculous amount of gas for a short trip down the road, but what i felt in the little AMG is the same AMG feel. What is wrong with less cylinders better fuel efficiency but producing more horsepower and same exciting sound?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by YICS NZ
Unmoded c63 drives only average considering its price brandnew, some guys call it a nice engine, beautiful sound n building quality, yea maybe, but for 1/2 of its money someone easily mod up a nice jap sports car n out beat a stock c63.
For me AMG is the exciting raw blood running in a stream. Its like buying a brand of fashion clothes, why u chose hugo boss over armani?

I listened and drove an A45 AMG, i did feel the same blood running in this little wee machine, it is a proper AMG for anyone who would disagree.
It might a typical american/aussie thing to disrespect anything that has not got more cylinders or burnt a rediculous amount of gas for a short trip down the road, but what i felt in the little AMG is the same AMG feel. What is wrong with less cylinders better fuel efficiency but producing more horsepower and same exciting sound?

An Aventador costs 1 million Australian Dollars here.

An RX3 rotary shell will cost about $10 000 AU. Spend some $$$ on a nice engine, gearbox package and you'll eat an Aventador. Probably run 8 seconds on the 1/4 mile too.. But is it the same? No. So i understand what you're saying about a C63 being "average" stock, but you can't compare a Jap car to a C63 AMG.

I would drive a 2 cylinder if it sounded and went like an AMG 6.2l. Cylinders don't phase me.

I feel like a toss driving a wannabe AMG (CLA45 and A45) that's my point. These are just my opinions.

In my opinion the reason someone here in Australia would buy a CLA45 or A45 is the same reason someone would buy a Boxster. They just want the wan*k factor of saying "i own an AMG" without having to blow the budget.

Last edited by RawBenz; 12-24-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:13 AM

C63s AMG W205
Well a45 amg offers great fun but still luxury than competitors in its own class, whereas a cheap jap will b fun but rides like a lawn mower.

The new boxter is great fun to drive, will i buy it? Nooo
Will i buy an a45 amg? Yes for my mum. Its a MB, practical, good looking, junior degree of luxury, modertely fast. I mite take it out sometjmes for a fun ride tho.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:15 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by YICS NZ
Well a45 amg offers great fun but still luxury than competitors in its own class, whereas a cheap jap will b fun but rides like a lawn mower.

The new boxter is great fun to drive, will i buy it? Nooo
Will i buy an a45 amg? Yes for my mum. Its a MB, practical, good looking, junior degree of luxury, modertely fast. I mite take it out sometjmes for a fun ride tho.
+1 Exactly.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
I owned C63 AMG for 5 years and bought A45 AMG Edition 1. Before buying A45 I felt would it be down grade to A class but now I feel totally different. Personally I love the up shift with crack sound, DCT is so nice, handling in corner is great!! You have AWD so its safe. Personally Im glad that I changed to A45 AMG.

Both car is very fast car for sure. If you go to track A45 can be faster. One of magazine tested A45 run at 1 min 6 sec and C63 ran 1 min 7 sec. But at 0-400m I think C63 will be faster, I think both car is great. But one of tuned A45 ran 0-400 in 11 sec so not bad at all for 2.0L car. Both car are fast in different area I think.

Its just my personal feeling. A45 or CLA 45 is great and fast car for sure.
Attached Thumbnails CLA45 vs C63-2013-10-07-11-58-03.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 AM

C63 GT3RS F800R
Originally Posted by HIRO63
I owned C63 AMG for 5 years and bought A45 AMG Edition 1. Before buying A45 I felt would it be down grade to A class but now I feel totally different. Personally I love the up shift with crack sound, DCT is so nice, handling in corner is great!! You have AWD so its safe. Personally Im glad that I changed to A45 AMG. Both car is very fast car for sure. If you go to track A45 can be faster. One of magazine tested A45 run at 1 min 6 sec and C63 ran 1 min 7 sec. But at 0-400m I think C63 will be faster, I think both car is great. But one of tuned A45 ran 0-400 in 11 sec so not bad at all for 2.0L car. Both car are fast in different area I think. Its just my personal feeling. A45 or CLA 45 is great and fast car for sure.
+1 to this gentleman these cars are not really comparable one awd one rwd, one turbo charged one naturally aspirated. The person who is buying one of these cars, should think of what his/her primary use for the car would be. C and CLA are both very nice and both very capable. CLA is smaller C is more spacious.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by RawBenz
No longer will the AMG intimidate nor have a rumble that echoes through the streets like lightning and thunder tearing up a city.
I respectfully disagree.

I would say that prior to the face-lifted C63, AMGs had a reputation for great straight-line speed and wetting the bed as soon as the road turned twisty.

Now, BMW M has gone soft and turned somewhat into a ///Mainstream ///Marketing machine. Meanwhile, AMG pumped out the SLS AMG Black Series (which Chris Harris and about every other respected journalist adores).

If anything, AMG is gaining a reputation for building more complete, well-rounded cars that are still edgier and more in-your-face than their M counterparts.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by zibby43
If anything, AMG is gaining a reputation for building more complete, well-rounded cars that are still edgier and more in-your-face than their M counterparts.
Yes of course
Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Yes of course
Do you have a problem?

Or did you fail to comprehend the meaning of what I said?

My point was that AMG is starting to build more well-rounded cars, in general. Look at the "new" E63 and E63-S for example.

My point was NOT that AMG has always built and will continue build better cars (generally) than BMW M.

You could have just respectfully asked for clarification or disagreed with an explanation, but that's not your style, judging from your posts in other threads.

Last edited by zibby43; 12-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:24 PM

AMG
Keep it respectable guys. No need to target one another, just a simple discussion here.

It's good to hear people's opinions even if it's not what you like. It's good to gather info on what other's think.

Some like the new line of AMG's some don't.

Zibby43, your comments are noted but I honestly think the new E63 may be quick but it's too green! The sound in no way compares to what a 6.2l. The sheer brutality of that sound is second to none.

BMW M has always been good around the track. But they sound sh*t and it's too controlled. I want to step into a car and have to be alert and i want to fight a car that is trying to kill me. That's part of MY thrill.

Even the 458 Italia for example.... a 13 year old can drive that and look like a race car driver! It's too toned down. Gone are the Raw days of cars.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
And the C63 isn't?
Well it is in a way. But in terms of the engine the C63 shares with the higherend E,Cls,S. It has the most performance bargain. Since its the lightest class.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Gone are the Raw days of cars.
go put a 65 amg in dyno mode I hear you though. I wish they'd go back to throttle cables or atleast change the throttle smoothing so its not so bland and lifeless.

I think the op's comments were all accurate to an extent. It doesnt matter the power output of the car - peak numbers are nothing. AMG's are built upon torque. They dont tell you how much, they make statements like 715tq from 1500rpm to 5500rpm. no peaks, just a range of nothing but usable power. Losing displacement loses that broad effortless torque. Sure once the turbo gets spooled up things are fine but it just doesnt pack that instant punch. Theres the delay of the gear box downshifting then the turbo lag. Sure the lag isnt bad by any means but it's always there even in a c250 or cla 250. I feel like the cla45 is a great car and has it's place. The price however is a little out of base. 47,500$ is a poor starting point with almost no options standard. It really needs to start at 38k$ and top out right at 50k$ optioned out. I like to think of the cla45 as an alternative to the sti or evo with a european touch and more mature. Not everyone wants a jap rice rocket and those are the only 2 cars really in that market segment. Yes its crappier than a c-class it costs quite a bit less and it shows. To understand it you really have to go look at the competitors for the cla250, and how little of a car you get now adays for sub/30k$. I can definately vouch for the exhaust sounds lame. But then again were back to small displacement and less cylinders.

Im interested to see where the resale values of these go. Id consider a cla45 2-3yrs old if it was in the 20k's and decently equipped.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Zibby43, your comments are noted but I honestly think the new E63 may be quick but it's too green! The sound in no way compares to what a 6.2l. The sheer brutality of that sound is second to none.

BMW M has always been good around the track. But they sound sh*t and it's too controlled. I want to step into a car and have to be alert and i want to fight a car that is trying to kill me. That's part of MY thrill.

Even the 458 Italia for example.... a 13 year old can drive that and look like a race car driver! It's too toned down. Gone are the Raw days of cars.
I was trying to keep it respectable. My intent was to start a thoughtful conversation with you (which I have, fortunately) until "King Hit-and-Run" stopped by.

And that was my point, that the AMG cars are more "raw" than BMW M cars in a few departments (namely sound and sheer hooliganism). - Guilty - seemed to disagree but his post had no explanation as to why.

And while I agree with you that the biturbo V8 in the E63 doesn't sound as vicious as the M156, it still sounds excellent for a turbocharged car. It sounds way more throaty and aggressive than the turbocharged engine in the M5/M6. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by zibby43

And that was my point, that the AMG cars are more "raw" than BMW M cars in a few departments (namely sound and sheer hooliganism). - Guilty - seemed to disagree but his post had no explanation as to why.
The reason why I disagree is because I dislike the new direction MB is taking. There is nothing "raw" about a turbocharged, all-wheel drive car, full of nannies to help you keep it straight.

You would also have to agree that all the new MBs look quite feminine with their round bumpers and "bee" headlights. (S-Class apart)

I will gladly buy a RWD BMW with a quieter exhaust note than a new MB that looks like it belongs to Barbie and Ken. After all, you can easily replace an exhaust ;-)

Until recently, I had a CL63. It was the best car I have ever had. True it was big. Some people called it a boat, but for me it was just awesome. All the crazy things I did with it... It still handles better than 90% out of the cars out there and with ESP Off it was just a blast.

That's just me though... each is entitled to his own opinion. I don't think I will be owning a new MB anytime soon. Brand loyalty has its limits. Time to expand my options and look at what other brands have to offer

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:22 AM

2010 E63, 2012 C63C
Frankly I looked hard at a new CLA-45 when I decided to by an additional AMG. What killed it for me was where the engine was manufactured. My wife said your going to buy a poor man's AMG? That was when I stopped looking at them. Good on MB for making an AMG for folks that can't afford the full Monty. I bought my C63C because where the engine was built and I did not want that voice in the back of my mind saying "a boxer is almost as good as a 911". IMHO.

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA45 vs C63