C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 P30
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)

Hey MB World.
I know there is already a great DIY from Dogtag114 for replacing seen here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...g-housing.html

Do at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damages or injury.

I decided to replace my fog light bulbs and figured I would take a few pics along the way. I am by no means an expert at making DIY threads but I wanted to share how easy it is to do this job. Not only will it save you time and money but it will improve your skills and get you familiar with the car. My method might not be the most simple or easy but it works.

What you need:

-H7 bulbs. (I used Eurolite)
-Jack
-Jack stands (2)
-8mm ratchet
-flat head screwdriver
-pliers or some tool to remove plastic rivets.
-flashlight
-safety glasses
-Nitrile Gloves would be good when handling the bulbs.

Some tools:
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00307_zpsb1018a3b.jpg
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00306_zps0996814c.jpg

First step. Make sure your car is off, e-brake on, in park. Put some wheel chocks on the back wheels.
Then you can jack up the car. You might need to drive up on some 2/4s to be able to fit the jack underneath.

Here is the jacking point: Located in the center of the car under engine.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00319_zps16f3c72b.jpg

Jack it up. then line up your 2 jack stands on either side and slowly lower. Double check to make sure they are secure.
Jack stand:
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00315_zps3630e898.jpg

Now you can get under the car and start removing the plastic engine tray. Start unscrewing the 8mm bolts holding the tray and remove.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00320_zpsce12e770.jpg
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00317_zps432ef8c8.jpg

8mm bolts removed:
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00318_zps1f0d21fe.jpg

Splash shield removed: Green wire in the distance is the passenger fog light.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00313_zps79f0169b.jpg

Now you can get over to where the fog light assembly is.

This is the driver side. You will need to use your screw driver and work out the little plastic rivet from the red circled area. you need to remove the center part of the rivet first, and pull that out, then the outer one will come out. After that pull that panel back to give yourself some room.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-d0f2a69e-10cb-43bf-875c-028e06f0785c_zps144b5b8e.jpg

Ok so now we can get over to the fog light and remove it.
First thing. Unclip this. You can seen the fog light decently in this picture. I took off that blue clip, and then uncliped from the fog light. You might need to use your flat head to undo the clips but be careful not to break anything. Take your time with these clips.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-44c70557-f68c-4e4e-a1cd-60cd2b1e10f4_zps8cae2e01.jpg

After that you grab the fog light and rotate it to remove. Clockwise for the driver side and counter clockwise for the passenger side.

Here is the passenger side now. You can clearly see all the clips associated. on this side all you need to do is unhook the main black one and you can rotate your bulb out with the wire.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00316_zps941ad3e3.jpg

Pic of the burnt bulb. Be careful not to get any finger prints on your new bulbs the oil from your hands will cause the bulb to rupture when its on.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00305_zps29b020d4.jpg

Installing the bulb back into the housing can be tricky. You need to line it up and push in, then rotate it. Practice doing this a couple of times without your new bulb in. Once you think you got it plop in your new H7 bulb into your socket and install. Be careful again to not touch the bulb or get it dirty in any way. If you have nitrile gloves use those.

After you install your bulbs and clip back up the connections. You need to check if everything works. Grab your key and turn your car onto the on position (dont fire it up tho)
Then you need to put your light switch all the way to the right, and then pull it out. This will engage the fog lights.
Before:
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00303_zps2642e54b.jpg

After:
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00302_zpsaf50822c.jpg

Make sure both fogs work. And then your done! Put back on your plastic covers and lower down the car.

Again if you want to replace the entire fog light assembly check out Dogtag114 DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...g-housing.html

Here is the after pic: Not sure how I feel. It actually looks pretty much identical to stock lol.
DIY - Replacing Fog Light Bulbs (with pics)-dsc00321_zps40f80888.jpg

Thanks again.

Last edited by AMG Boost; 04-02-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Good job on the DIY. For those of you contemplating a fog light bulb change, remove the under tray as these instructions indicate. To go through the wheel wells like I did will take twice as long and tear up your hands in the process.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Sweet! Thanks for the post! I've been wanting to change my fogs to a different color (yellow) recently and couldn't really find a proper DIY. This is very helpful!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
nice, thanks for taking the time. I was gonna go through the wheel well, but maybe not, as this undertray method seems easier. I have one burned out bulb, but I may just replace both so I don't have to do this again in a few months after the other one burns out.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 AM

2010 C63 P30
No problem guys! The only real part I dont show well is undoing the clips from the fog light. But just take your time on it and try not to force anything. It is fairly easy and straightforward to do.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 AM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Thank you - mine has just started giving a warning re the right front foglight being out. Being in Australia I will never use the fog lights but the message is annoying.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 PM

C63
sorry to bump this old thread but like this DIY, i also removed the blue clips but after, realized i probably didn't have to. i was searching around and saw this thread and that the OP removed the blue pieces too, lol.

is that really necessary? thanks guize.