where do you get your oil changed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
where do you get your oil changed?

dealer, indie shop, or diy?

Also, if not at the dealer, how do you properly document the service in case of future warranty claims?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I just got mine changed at the dealer
First time ever
30 years of German hipo cars
I did it to keep the service records intact
I'll be doing 1 a year so I'll bite that bullet
I did 6k miles in 10 months
The service counter was at 20 days so a bit early but I wanted the tranny done

Just keep a log book with date, mileage and the reciepts
Note the work done (oil, plugs, filters, etc)
I even log wax jobs and tires
I always do and it may increase the value to a savvy buyer

Last edited by Ingenieur; 06-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
dealer so far, but going to use liqui molly next time and will have to go to inde...
Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Mine is going in on Monday for the 2,000 mile diff oil change and I'm having them do an engine oil/filter change too. Even though I just bought the car as new, it's a 2013 with a late 2012 build date. I don't want to leave that oil in the engine for another year.

Even though this change has nothing to do with warranty, I think it would be false economy to try to save $100 by having it changed elsewhere. I know I'm getting the right oil and filter. The only alternative is doing it myself. An oil sucker would be a good investment, but I haven't bothered.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
whoover, have to jump in on your trust in dealerships, the only way you will know what oil they are putting in your car is if you are watching the guy pump it out of the drum as they usually buy bulk. 5w-30, 5w-40 or 0w-40. Read what is on the label, even then you are trusting the guy who actually again filled the barrel from the tanker. Always check your oil level before driving off, who knows if the "tech" actually put in 9.5, 8.5 or 5.5, drained the cooler or not. This task I let the dealer do once then I took all responsibility from there, the guy did not know about the cooler, LOL and had to ask how much oil to put in. Remember the guy on site here who had his oil cap not reinstalled!!! Yes are far as trust goes it is my car, I trust few if any.

1 small point not every Benz is an AMG so the oil change guy may be not too familiar with your model. Really just how many has he changed oil on "properly".

Last edited by Critter; 06-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
I advised them of the cooler
My invoice says 0W40B 9 units
I checked the level, a bit high, maybe a mm or two on the upper plastic
Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Critter
whoover, have to jump in on your trust in dealerships, the only way you will know what oil they are putting in your car is if you are watching the guy pump it out of the drum as they usually buy bulk. 5w-30, 5w-40 or 0w-40. Read what is on the label, even then you are trusting the guy who actually again filled the barrel from the tanker. Always check your oil level before driving off, who knows if the "tech" actually put in 9.5, 8.8 or 5.5, drained the cooler or not. This task I let the dealer do once then I took all responsibility from there. Remember the guy on site here who had his oil cap not reinstalled!!! Yes are far as trust goes it is my car, I trust few if any.
Yeah, anybody can screw up. There are no guarantees in this world. But I do trust my dealer. And yes, they're happy to let you see the drums. But my trust is mainly the result of past experience. I've had them service all 8 of the MBs I've owned, 5 of them AMG, with close to 100,000 miles average on them. I've been stuck exactly once, when a bad fuel sender had me run out of gas. I've never had to bring a car back for something that wasn't fixed right.

My trust in this dealer was earned.

We also have a lot of MB dealers in the area (there are two in San Jose). I think the competition tends to keep them honest. They know that if they screw with you, MB owners are savvy enough to figure it out and pick another dealer.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Just sayin, enjoy your car.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
So if you don't use the dealer for service, just keep meticulous logs/ receipts? then you should still be ok with warranty claims?

Trying to avoid the case where they deny a claim since they don't have the dealer service records up to date.. Or they say the independent shop did the service wrong.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
dealer, indie shop, or diy?

Also, if not at the dealer, how do you properly document the service in case of future warranty claims?

Thanks!

In my garage. I just enter all the pertinent data in my maintenance book.

Regards,

Joe
Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I tend to be suspect of dealer work, too, but I'm not the best mechanic myself as well. I wish there were a reliable ratings system on line. Unfortunately, with most ratings it's only the unhappy who rank and so they're generally skewed, and not uniformly. And every tech could screw up too, I guess. It's a gamble, but at least if the dealer bunks something up I'm pretty sure I could make them (and they'd be willing to) make it right. But I've thought about doing my own oil too, and have in simpler vehicles, but I believe it ain't all that easy in the C63 (need a vac, etc., correct?).
Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
If you think taking your car to an Indy is safer you are wrong unless you know the level of skill the guy personally and supply the parts. I see indies screw up all the time. We had two new cars come in with engine issues because the Indies are using after-market filters to change the oil and these are Mercedes shops. They still do whatever it is to save a dollar and are not under contract not to use aftermarket parts like a dealer is. It's up to them to stay up on their training, but they don't have access to it like dealer techs that are obligated to so they don't realize that the new turbo engines take a different filter although very similar to the old style turbo filters. The after-market will be happy to supply the old ones for as long as possible. Do you think MB will be helpful if you have engine problems after putting in the incorrect and after-market fill in the case of engine failure? The thing also with servicing your car at the dealer is "good will" we had a customers trans fail right after the warranty period. Customer was upset we did all her services and even paid for the trans service and her car shouldn't be have a huge failure if she was servicing it like she should. We paid for half and MBUSA paid half and the customer got a free trans. Every place has problems the difference is also that dealers do thousands of oil changes a month, and you could be the lucky first time customer at a indy especially with a new model. I have had so many calls from indies asking for help and explaining things they screwed up a lot of times their customers will not even find out because they fix the issues, or they leave the things half broken and half *** fix them. If you are really worried about it and plan keeping the car a while out of warranty get to know your tech meet him. You would be surprised how much they take pride in their work and if you meet them they can even help lower your bills and fix smaller issues free and make sure everything is perfect. That is what I do. I used the same tech for over 5 years on my C55 and it runs like a best with no big issues.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
If you think taking your car to an Indy is safer you are wrong unless you know the level of skill the guy personally and supply the parts. I see indies screw up all the time. We had two new cars come in with engine issues because the Indies are using after-market filters to change the oil and these are Mercedes shops. They still do whatever it is to save a dollar and are not under contract not to use aftermarket parts like a dealer is. It's up to them to stay up on their training, but they don't have access to it like dealer techs that are obligated to so they don't realize that the new turbo engines take a different filter although very similar to the old style turbo filters. The after-market will be happy to supply the old ones for as long as possible. Do you think MB will be helpful if you have engine problems after putting in the incorrect and after-market fill in the case of engine failure? The thing also with servicing your car at the dealer is "good will" we had a customers trans fail right after the warranty period. Customer was upset we did all her services and even paid for the trans service and her car shouldn't be have a huge failure if she was servicing it like she should. We paid for half and MBUSA paid half and the customer got a free trans. Every place has problems the difference is also that dealers do thousands of oil changes a month, and you could be the lucky first time customer at a indy especially with a new model. I have had so many calls from indies asking for help and explaining things they screwed up a lot of times their customers will not even find out because they fix the issues, or they leave the things half broken and half *** fix them. If you are really worried about it and plan keeping the car a while out of warranty get to know your tech meet him. You would be surprised how much they take pride in their work and if you meet them they can even help lower your bills and fix smaller issues free and make sure everything is perfect. That is what I do. I used the same tech for over 5 years on my C55 and it runs like a best with no big issues.
+1. Well said
Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
JIFFY LUBE.

Bring your own oil/filter watch them change it and they show u the level before you leave for $30!

Cant be beat.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
In my experience the dealer techs are good and do good work
They wouldn't last long with issues and call backs
It's the service advisors that seem shifty at times

My reasons for doing my own work:
Cost
I derive personal satisfaction
Plus I can spend a bit motre time cleaning stuff as I do it
Not because I don't really trust the dealer techs
Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by jcfay
I tend to be suspect of dealer work, too, but I'm not the best mechanic myself as well. I wish there were a reliable ratings system on line. Unfortunately, with most ratings it's only the unhappy who rank and so they're generally skewed, and not uniformly. And every tech could screw up too, I guess. It's a gamble, but at least if the dealer bunks something up I'm pretty sure I could make them (and they'd be willing to) make it right. But I've thought about doing my own oil too, and have in simpler vehicles, but I believe it ain't all that easy in the C63 (need a vac, etc., correct?).

The best way is to jack up the car and drain both the engine oil pan, and the oil cooler.

Alternately, you can purchase a Mityvac and go from the top. This gets about 8 qts. out. I use this method most of the time. The fittings it comes with are crap, so I bought push-lock fittings/plugs to keep oil from spilling out of the tube ends.

Regards,

Joe
Old 06-08-2014, 01:42 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
DIY in my garage for personal satisfaction but dealer cost not much higher using the exact Formula M oil.

Done at Dealer has some good advantage such as documented proof and I believe shows up in car fax in some states
Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
My dealer's service department is excellent. For simple service work and warranty work, I'd use the dealer. For aesthetic modifications or simple things like wheel/tire swaps and oil changes, I have the utmost faith in a local independent shop.

This shop specializes in Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz cars. As a matter of fact, when the local BMW dealer's techs can't crack a problem, BMW corporate has the cars sent to this independent shop. The last time I was at the shop, they had 2 Ferraris, a Lamborghini, a 911 Turbo, and an IndyCar in there.

They have the most sophisticated equipment I've ever seen. I mean the lifts alone are nicer than anything I've seen at any dealership. To top it off, their prices are the best around. Put simply, it is a shop run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

If you're fortunate enough to have a great local independent shop, I'd recommend you give them a try (perhaps allow them to do a simple mount and balance at first). If they do a good job at a more competitive price, you've got a solid alternative.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Well guys, next time you are at the dealership, ask the "tech" who is changing your oil or trans service to show you his mechanics license. These tasks are usually given to the guys that wish to be in the trade and in essence are training on your car. To the tech who responded stating the dealership and MB went half on the trans so "she got a free trans" was it a flush that was performed, what do you think the possibilities are the trans failed because of the service-flush, or would it have failed without the "service".
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
I can't imagine MB USA sending cars to a non- dealer
They want to keep control of the situation
Makes no sense
What most mfgs do is send corp techs in to assist
Regional first and if that doesn't do it guys from HQ/corp.
No indy knows more about the car than the mfg
Nor do they have access to the documenation or the engineers at MB in Germany
Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
We had a Honda CRV. Took it to Honda for an oil change. Master mechanic didn't secure the oil filter properly. All the oil drained out over the course of a few days until check engine lights went nuts and the thing started to shutter. It was never right again. We bought it new and this was within the first year.

People make mistakes, no matter how exclusive the brand or how many certificates are on the wall. I would make sure it was the right oil. Wait for it to be done. Once it was done, give everything a once over (thoroughly) including the oil level and check the invoice for number of quarts used....as a possible indicator that they also changed out the oil in the cooler. I would drive it a short distance, park it, then place some white paper underneath to let it set over night. Then I'd check for an oil leak in the morning, also rechecking that the oil filter is secure.

This is me. I love my car and hope to have it for a long time. I think there is a greater risk of human error cutting its life short over the components naturally failing.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Well guys, next time you are at the dealership, ask the "tech" who is changing your oil or trans service to show you his mechanics license. These tasks are usually given to the guys that wish to be in the trade and in essence are training on your car. To the tech who responded stating the dealership and MB went half on the trans so "she got a free trans" was it a flush that was performed, what do you think the possibilities are the trans failed because of the service-flush, or would it have failed without the "service".
Cars are worked on the order they are received unless customers are sent home in a loaner and master techs do oil changes just like anyone else. No one gets special treatment and not expected to do easy work. The more complicated jobs are however given to the techs with more experience with the job. I don't think anyone could tell you why the trans failed, but the point was that it was taken care of for free to the customer. Which would have not happened at an indie shop. Transmission fail all the time with or without servicing them as well.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
We had a Honda CRV. Took it to Honda for an oil change. Master mechanic didn't secure the oil filter properly. All the oil drained out over the course of a few days until check engine lights went nuts and the thing started to shutter. It was never right again. We bought it new and this was within the first year.

People make mistakes, no matter how exclusive the brand or how many certificates are on the wall. I would make sure it was the right oil. Wait for it to be done. Once it was done, give everything a once over (thoroughly) including the oil level and check the invoice for number of quarts used....as a possible indicator that they also changed out the oil in the cooler. I would drive it a short distance, park it, then place some white paper underneath to let it set over night. Then I'd check for an oil leak in the morning, also rechecking that the oil filter is secure.

This is me. I love my car and hope to have it for a long time. I think there is a greater risk of human error cutting its life short over the components naturally failing.
How did u not notice oil all over the floor?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by Valvestud
In my garage. I just enter all the pertinent data in my maintenance book.

Regards,

Joe
Ditto. I suck the oil out of the dip stick and change the filter up on top, don't even have to get under the car. Easiest oil change I've ever done! But I also change my tranny fluid myself, it's somewhat a hassle.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Well guys, next time you are at the dealership, ask the "tech" who is changing your oil or trans service to show you his mechanics license.
The guy that changes the oil on my car doesn't have a mechanic's license, but he does have a Professional Mechanical Engineering license.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: where do you get your oil changed?