C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

507 on H&Rs - Fronts rubbing with stock tires for some reason

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'14 C63 "Edition 507"; '02 Widebody WS6 Trans Am ~ 1,200hp (kills everything)
507 on H&Rs - Fronts rubbing with stock tires for some reason

I searched the below threads to confirm I shouldn't have an issue, however an issue still exists.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...r-fitment.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...questions.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...r-fitment.html

Here's the setup - Stock size tires (Michelin PSS), H&R lowering springs, 12mm spacers all the way around, trimmed/smoothed inner-fender lips.

The fronts rub what sounds like the fender liner (not the lip - tire sidewalls are unscathed) while driving through reasonable dips at reasonable speeds. I will say that my camber up front is a bit aggressive (but has been aligned), but I would think that would help prevent rubbing more than anything else. Keep in mind this is on 507 19"s.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
12mm spacers gives you +33 offset in front if I'm not wrong.
Are these 9x19 up front or 8x19?
What tire size 235 or 245?
Could be a bit too aggressive?
I am +40 on 8.5x19, 245/35 PSS and with H&R springs I was not rubbing.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
You have to figure out where it is rubbing first via witness marks (use tape)...then you can adjust. If inner you may need less camber, if outer you may need more camber or less spacer, if top, you may be too low.

You cannot adjust unless you know where exactly and under what conditions you get rub...
Old 07-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
fwiw - I am running H&R springs on my 507 sedan w/ 12mm front, 10mm rear spacers on stock 19s with no rubbing.

However, I do have Conti's (~30% left) instead of PSS. Looking at tire rack, the tread width for Conti is 9.5" and PSS is 10".

Also, in my research it seemed 12mm spacers would rub in the rear with OEM 19's. Are you not rubbing in the rear? Do you have the 17mm spring pad installed?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Zero rubbing from the rear, lowered with 12mm spacers.

Update: I swapped the 12mm spacers (up front) for 10mm spacers and it still rubs but just less.

Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
Originally Posted by austinauflick

Update: I swapped the 12mm spacers (up front) for 10mm spacers and it still rubs but just less.

Any ideas?

You never told us exactly where it is rubbing...but due to your spacer swap I would guess you need more camber in front.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5

Any ideas?
Remove the spacer all together, see if it still rubs.

Then start playing with spacer sizes.

The springs and shocks won't all settle at the same height so while one person might not have an issue another might... And these are all based off of fractions of an inch.

Does it rub all the time? Or rarely and just under extreme conditions?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Good point Parker:
So this is literally at the upper most portion of the fender liner.

Rubbing

After driving it around more, I still feel the same, the 10mm spacer up front definitely helps, but doesn't stop it entirely. Perhaps I should get an 8mm and see what happens. Taking it out entirely would look ridiculous - couldn't even imagine how bad it'd look lol.

Camber - Can one adjust camber on these cars? The alignment guy said the camber isn't adjustable is why I ask. I did mention adjusting the camber too because it does look like it has quite a bit of positive camber and I feel that would position the outer most edge of the tire to sit slightly higher than the rest of the tire causing it to hit maybe. Thoughts on this?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
remember the Michelin tires are stiff so they do not give so much which can cause rubbing.

Now decreasing the spacer slightly will help but I do not think it will stop it entirely.

sounds weird though.

and you said alignment was been corrected ?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Good point Parker:
So this is literally at the upper most portion of the fender liner.

Rubbing

After driving it around more, I still feel the same, the 10mm spacer up front definitely helps, but doesn't stop it entirely. Perhaps I should get an 8mm and see what happens. Taking it out entirely would look ridiculous - couldn't even imagine how bad it'd look lol.

Camber - Can one adjust camber on these cars? The alignment guy said the camber isn't adjustable is why I ask. I did mention adjusting the camber too because it does look like it has quite a bit of positive camber and I feel that would position the outer most edge of the tire to sit slightly higher than the rest of the tire causing it to hit maybe. Thoughts on this?
Are you running 235/35/19 Michelin PSS? You say stock size in the first post but did not confirm the actual tire size. The camber is not adjustable on the front with stock suspension. There are camber bolts you can buy that will allow a small adjustment on the front. They are a small plus or minus adjustment from what you have now. It does not look like camber adjustment will fix your rubbing issue. Is your rubbing problem only on the right front? Being lowered your front camber will already be more negative (not positive) from stock. It looks to me you will need to raise the right front back up a little bit to solve your rubbing issue. Not really sure why that corner lowered more than H&R spec. Maybe you can devise a spacer for the top of the spring to lift that corner back up a bit.

I had the same problem on both front corners with 245/35/19 Michelin PSS and just went back down to 235/35/19. The right front is giving me more problem than the left and I have adjustable camber and caster bushings that change the position of the wheel in the wheel well. It has been a huge learning experience and I am still working on it to get the stance I want without rubbing. My fenders have certainly been abused and show the signs of it a little. My front wheels are 19x8.5 +ET 44 and I had no problem rubbing until I put on a 10mm spacer to make the tire more flush to the fender. Then I changed the alignment specs and this changed the placement of the wheel in the well and things got complicated. Now running the downsized tires without spacers and have no rubbing issues but would like to see if I can get more flush. On it goes.
GL
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mort
Are you running 235/35/19 Michelin PSS? You say stock size in the first post but did not confirm the actual tire size. The camber is not adjustable on the front with stock suspension. There are camber bolts you can buy that will allow a small adjustment on the front. They are a small plus or minus adjustment from what you have now. It does not look like camber adjustment will fix your rubbing issue. Is your rubbing problem only on the right front? Being lowered your front camber will already be more negative (not positive) from stock. It looks to me you will need to raise the right front back up a little bit to solve your rubbing issue. Not really sure why that corner lowered more than H&R spec. Maybe you can devise a spacer for the top of the spring to lift that corner back up a bit.

I had the same problem on both front corners with 245/35/19 Michelin PSS and just went back down to 235/35/19. The right front is giving me more problem than the left and I have adjustable camber and caster bushings that change the position of the wheel in the wheel well. It has been a huge learning experience and I am still working on it to get the stance I want without rubbing. My fenders have certainly been abused and show the signs of it a little. My front wheels are 19x8.5 +ET 44 and I had no problem rubbing until I put on a 10mm spacer to make the tire more flush to the fender. Then I changed the alignment specs and this changed the placement of the wheel in the well and things got complicated. Now running the downsized tires without spacers and have no rubbing issues but would like to see if I can get more flush. On it goes.
GL
Tire size - yes I affirm that they are indeed 235/35/19s and yes they're Michelin PSS.
Rubbing issue is on both sides, although I tend to feel the driver side hits more often than the passenger side.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
Hmm wish I had more suggestions. We’re running nearly identical setups for suspension on 507 sedans, yet I have no rubbing. Some differences:
  • I have stock Contisport, you have PSS (tread width known to be less on Conti)
  • I have 17mm rear spring pads (not sure if you do), though I ran with stock 13mm rear pads before and didn’t rub then either. Thus, not a likely contributor
  • I’ve not gotten an alignment since lowering the car (or ever). Not sure if you’ve made adjustments here. And, not sure if they come from the factory with slight variation on alignment or if it’s razor accurate across same model
And to recap what I am running:
  • H&R Sport Springs (0.75” drop all around) with part number: 29028-1 (purchased new)
  • 19” OEM wheels (black 507 wheels)
  • 255/30/19 (rear) and 235/35/19 (front) contisport with about 30% life remaining
  • H&R 12mm spacers (front) with part number: 2455665 (purchased new)
  • H&R 10mm spacers (rear) with part number: 2055665 (purchased new)
  • Longer 40mm black bolts, with the rear bolts shaved 2mm to not interfere with parking brake. All torqued to spec (~97 ft/lbs)
Finally, I mostly drive alone but have driven with this setup with 5 people (two guys up front, three gals in back) with no rubbing.

I also drive in climate with avg low-mid 70s temp. Tires would expand a bit in hotter temps.

Last edited by ld63; 07-19-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Do you have the correct part # on your springs? I know mine are dark grey color and not purple like yours but they may have changed some since I bought mine. The correct part # 29028-1 is on the spring if you can see it.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
Do you have the correct part # on your springs? I know mine are dark grey color and not purple like yours but they may have changed some since I bought mine. The correct part # 29028-1 is on the spring if you can see it.
Agree camber or space won't help
Make sure it's the right part
Installed correctly. Pads, top bushing/seat, spring on perch, etc
Correct front vs right, don't laugh I've seen it
Bump stop!!!

Can you measure the ride height
Floor to fender lip centerline of the wheel
Should be 25.25" or so

Take some pics of the installed spring
Something doesn't look right
Supossed to be a seat on the top

http://www.mbonlineparts.com/parts/2...iagram=5777184

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-19-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Dupe
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
Hmm wish I had more suggestions. We’re running nearly identical setups for suspension on 507 sedans, yet I have no rubbing. Some differences:
  • I have stock Contisport, you have PSS (tread width known to be less on Conti)
  • I have 17mm rear spring pads (not sure if you do), though I ran with stock 13mm rear pads before and didn’t rub then either. Thus, not a likely contributor
  • I’ve not gotten an alignment since lowering the car (or ever). Not sure if you’ve made adjustments here. And, not sure if they come from the factory with slight variation on alignment or if it’s razor accurate across same model
And to recap what I am running:
  • H&R Sport Springs (0.75” drop all around) with part number: 29028-1 (purchased new)
  • 19” OEM wheels (black 507 wheels)
  • 255/30/19 (rear) and 235/35/19 (front) contisport with about 30% life remaining
  • H&R 12mm spacers (front) with part number: 2455665 (purchased new)
  • H&R 10mm spacers (rear) with part number: 2055665 (purchased new)
  • Longer 40mm black bolts, with the rear bolts shaved 2mm to not interfere with parking brake. All torqued to spec (~97 ft/lbs)
Finally, I mostly drive alone but have driven with this setup with 5 people (two guys up front, three gals in back) with no rubbing.

I also drive in climate with avg low-mid 70s temp. Tires would expand a bit in hotter temps.
I checked all my part numbers against yours and we align 100% with the exception of my rears having 12mm spacers (still no rubbing at all). I'm running the stock spring pads - which I presume only go in the rear, yes? Lastly, I did have it aligned after lowering it. The shop I go to perform wheel alignments on all the big names: Lambo, Bentley, Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Agree camber or space won't help
Make sure it's the right part
Installed correctly. Pads, top bushing/seat, spring on perch, etc
Correct front vs right, don't laugh I've seen it
Bump stop!!!

Can you measure the ride height
Floor to fender lip centerline of the wheel
Should be 25.25" or so

Take some pics of the installed spring
Something doesn't look right
Supossed to be a seat on the top

http://www.mbonlineparts.com/parts/2...iagram=5777184
Measurements:
Front Driver - 25.25
Front passenger - 25.375
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Measurements:
Front Driver - 25.25
Front passenger - 25.375
Pretty much what you would expect
Did you happen to measure 'before'?

My 2009 non PP measures 26"

It is bottoming out
The foam bump stop is supossed to help prevent that
Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

Camber - Can one adjust camber on these cars? The alignment guy said the camber isn't adjustable is why I ask....

Since the mid 90 model’s, there has been no Camber and Caster adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, fix steering pull, increase/decrease negative Camber the only current alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts. But these are inaccurate one only position bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem.

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these offset bolts they can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to remove and reinstall each time).

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility. Unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing all important clearance to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also at K-MAC we have developed long life maintenance free elastomer bushings with just the right amount of flex to get power to the ground, maximum traction. Unlike the spherical bearings used in Camber arms that soon pound out allowing metal to metal contact.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are designed with twice the load bearing area and also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by K-Mac
Since the mid 90 model’s, there has been no Camber and Caster adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, fix steering pull, increase/decrease negative Camber the only current alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts. But these are inaccurate one only position bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem.

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these offset bolts they can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to remove and reinstall each time).

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility. Unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing all important clearance to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also at K-MAC we have developed long life maintenance free elastomer bushings with just the right amount of flex to get power to the ground, maximum traction. Unlike the spherical bearings used in Camber arms that soon pound out allowing metal to metal contact.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are designed with twice the load bearing area and also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

THANK YOU! I'll definitely put this on the next mod list!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM

I wish that camber adjustment kit was less expensive, damn.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Weird to see u have rubbing with 12mm & even 10mm in the front.

I've been running 12mm with 235/35/19 Yokos AVS no problem lowered on h&r too. But I never had an alignment.. So maybe it has smth to do with it?