C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New Owner with LOTS of questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Sedan
New Owner with LOTS of questions.

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first Mercedes ever. I fell in love with the C63 years ago when I got to drive one, and I knew that one day I would have to own one. So here I am, about to jump in. But I have some questions for you experts. I've spent the evening looking up info for these, but I think it might be best if I just simply ask specifically.

The C63 AMG I'm about to purchase (again, I sign papers tomorrow), is a 2013, silver, with red/black interior, carbon interior trim, with carbon "spoiler" and red calipers. It has a little less than 10k miles on it. I test drove it, and it drove very smooth, and felt great. That's about all I know at this point.

1. How can I tell what factory packages it has on it? Like the performance package? And the other packages that I believe were specific add-ons for that year? It looks like now, it's just the "507" package, so that doesn't help me much in determining what's on this one.

2. This car will need new tires fairly soon. They aren't bad, but I'd like to plan on some new one in the next couple of months. What size, brand and type are recommended by everyone? I want performance overall. I don't care much for how long they last, or if they are rain-worthy, etc. Also, I of course, prefer a wider-the-better tire. What's the largest size possible on stock rims and suspension?

3. After tinting the windows (my first mod planned), I intend on having quite a bit of stuff done to the car. Mostly to maximize performance and aggression. As I have been reading it seems an ECU flash is a very important mod. Can you point me in the right direction as to where to go to look further into this? Is it something I should stay away from until I get the exhaust system?

4. Exhaust. Here's the big complicated question. I've been reading for hours over various threads on this forum, and while learning quite a bit, I've also become very confused as to what I think I want/need. The car at this moment is WAY too quiet for me. I like my cars loud and mean sounding lol. I used to own a straight piped Gallardo, and it was a complete beast. One video that I keep going back to for inspiration is this:

That's what I'm looking for. But with a "mild-to-wild" switch. You know, keyfob button that will quiet it down when picking the kids up from school and such. I have no idea what I really need to obtain that level of sound, whether it be a simple decatting to straight-piping, or headers, or what honestly. I don't mind having to pay to have the entire system replaced. Whatever is necessary to make it happen. But that sound is the ultimate goal for me.

So, if any of you guys could take the time to answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a ton in advance!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:04 AM

2011 C63 AMG P31
For sound... Get a set of LTH. Louder, but sounds the same.

Tires have been discussed to death, as have a few things here. Search is your friend! There are a few members on here who can decode the car's VIN and produce a data card showing all its options.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 ATS-V
1) For the factory packages, use the tools link at the top of the form with the vin decode, or just ask the MB dealer to decode the vin for you

2) The tire of choice seems to be Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and without a drop, and no spacers, 275 rear and 245 front seem to be the widest you can go on stock 18" and I believe even 19" wheels

3) Eurocharged seems to be a very popular tune, and they stand behind their product. I have had a lot of communication with them, and they have impeccable customer service. Check out their thread with their holiday sale, as they are always running specials. Get a deal where the handheld is included, and the V5 tune.

4) 2nd Cat Delete should accomplish what you are looking for. Search for threads under my username, I posted a couple of videos recently after having mine done. It is just the right sound, and without spending an exorbitant amount on an exhaust, gave me the sound I was looking for. This will give you that mild when needed but crazy when wanted sound that you are looking for.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Vhayne,

Congrats on the new C63 Is it a Coupe or Sedan?

Also you might want to fill in your profile so people will at least know where you live. Not everyone on this forum lives in the USA

As far as decoding the VIN, the best way to do it is to register with EPCnet Online. It is free for people in the USA and it enables you to pull up the Data Card for Mercedes vehicles. The Data Card shows all of the options on that particular vehicle via the VIN.

EPC stands for Electronic Parts Catalog, so you are able to look up specific parts for your Mercedes.

Hope you enjoy your new car
Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
There is an extensive amount of info on each topic
Search and read

For each one you will find dozens of opinions and little concensous
You won't find a common ground on something as simple as what oil to use lol
Let slone tune, tires, exhaust, et al
And each opiner is positive they are right, others sre wrong, and there is only onevsolution...theirs

Search 'data card' in the thread post the vin
The gentleman will post it, complete spec for the car
The person you are buying from should have this info
Where? Dealer? Private? Etc
Post the sales link please

Honestly in the time it took to type your post yiu could have answered modt of your questions, I'm not sure why people want others to do their leg work, I have more faith in info I actually research and decide on myself

Research and learning is half the fun

Enjoy your car, post pics and somenof uour straight piped lambo

Last edited by Ingenieur; 12-20-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

a car
Congrats on the purchase!

To help you with some of your questions:

1. You'll need to decode the VIN. Even a helpful dealership can assist as well as a lot of members here.

2. Tires, Michelin PSS for your 507 wheels in 245/35 front and 275/30 rear would be a great choice if you want something with very nice grip, quiet and comfortable. If you want all out performance in the dry and don't care about wet just get R888

3 & 4. I would do a set of long tube headers and couple it with a nice tune. Would personally recommend doing a full iPE system with valvetronic mufflers. Insane note when the valves are open and very tame when they are closed if you need to shut the car up every now and then.

If you need/want some pricing on an iPE system with a tune let me know! Again, congrats and enjoy the new car in good health
Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 AM

2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Guys, thanks SO much for the detailed replies. I know it's a PITA when someone new comes in and the answers they seek seem to be a simple search away. In all honesty, I don't really know what questions to ask exactly. lol

These cars option lists are tricky compared to most it seems. For example, when described, the performance package seems to have the "sport" steering wheel, etc. So I had hoped it would be simple just to have answered "If you car has this type of steering wheel, then it has the package". And on and on with the other packages. But the VIN search should absolutely help me out! Thank you.

The 2nd cat delete suggestion I was recommended sounds like a great idea. I've read a lot about it so far, and yes, that might just do it. But is it going to produce the same sound, at the lower rpms like in the video? That thing sounds like a total monster! haha If it does, then how does one keep it from doing that and scaring all the kids in line at school? I assumed the cat delete would be replacing with a straight pipe? If, however, this is exactly what I need, where do I obtain the best one?

As requested, here's a video of one of my lambos. You can look on my channel and find a couple more.

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to pick this thing up today. *EDIT* sorry, missed a question. It's a sedan. So I can fit the kids in the back easily lol. Coupe looks better IMO though.

Last edited by Vhayne; 12-20-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
The car is under warranty
Drive it oem until it expires
In until you have the car in your possession and live with don't do anything major
I tjink you will be surprised how good it is stock

1 been answered

2 oem size and load rating , upsize the rear to 265
People like the PSS, depending on clime perhaps all season

3 car is under warranty these will void it and are illegal
A tune will void it and no real gains on a PP car

4 same as 3
Actually live with the car before you mess with it
Old 12-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Vhayne
Guys, thanks SO much for the detailed replies. I know it's a PITA when someone new comes in and the answers they seek seem to be a simple search away. In all honesty, I don't really know what questions to ask exactly. lol

These cars option lists are tricky compared to most it seems. For example, when described, the performance package seems to have the "sport" steering wheel, etc. So I had hoped it would be simple just to have answered "If you car has this type of steering wheel, then it has the package". And on and on with the other packages. But the VIN search should absolutely help me out! Thank you.

The 2nd cat delete suggestion I was recommended sounds like a great idea. I've read a lot about it so far, and yes, that might just do it. But is it going to produce the same sound, at the lower rpms like in the video? That thing sounds like a total monster! haha If it does, then how does one keep it from doing that and scaring all the kids in line at school? I assumed the cat delete would be replacing with a straight pipe? If, however, this is exactly what I need, where do I obtain the best one?

As requested, here's a video of one of my lambos. You can look on my channel and find a couple more.

Gallardo Loud Take-Off - YouTube

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to pick this thing up today. *EDIT* sorry, missed a question. It's a sedan. So I can fit the kids in the back easily lol. Coupe looks better IMO though.

sorry for the weird sound...it's loud man...V5 tune downshift on 2nd cat straight hurts peoples ears

LTH on v5 blip sounds like a bomb going off

if you want speed..get OE, it pulls slightly faster then EC..but if you want people to look at you every down shift, get V5

Last edited by avery.whss; 12-20-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
First off OP said it was a 2013...I may be mistaken but I thought 507's were 2014's. If it had red caliper it has the P31 package.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
First off OP said it was a 2013...I may be mistaken but I thought 507's were 2014's. If it had red caliper it has the P31 package.
oops
Was a cf spoiler available in the US?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
oops
yes part of p31 package.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
oops
Canada too. I believe it's a world wide deal.

As for tuning... I know of a tune that is above those others power wise, though they give me $*%# for talking about it on here.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I'd say drive it for a while before modding anyway. Sounds like you've got tons of experience with cars and modding, but I'd live with it for a few weeks and see what I do/don't like stock. Then I'd start to change it up. But I know some have just started right off changing stuff, and if that's to your liking then have at it. It's nice to have a baseline to compare all changes to, however.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
Just for question 1, you can tell if the car has the performance pack if it has the red brakes. If it does, then it's either a performance pack or a 507, which are easily recognizable with the different wheels, the stripe and the nostrils on the hood.

Enjoy the beast!

Edit: Oops it has been answered already. Also for 3, a tune will not add too much power if the car is a performance pack, but if it isn't then you'd gain about 60hp

Last edited by alexmtl; 12-20-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
First year for 507 was 2014 model...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM

2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Seriously guys, thanks a TON for all the replies and help!

I picked up the car today (about 6:00 est). Wow! I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally get a Merc! So luxurious compared to my ford raptor and Toyota sienna, as well as comparing to my past sports cars. I really like it a lot. The only complaint I have at this point is the lack of traction even on a very slight take-off. Rear tires are worn quite a bit, so I am guessing this won't be an issue when they are replaced.

Great news, the dealer decided to replace the rear tires at no extra cost! They have to order them, but I should get them put on sometime next week. I asked what brand, size, etc. And all they could tell me was whatever it has as stock. So, well, it's free. I'm not going to complain lol. I'll just be thankful they are doing it.

On the "packages question", I did the EPCnet Online thingy. Thanks a TON for that info! It has the performance package, as some of you had already guessed by the red calipers and carbon spoiler. It also has the LSD, which I believe came with the performance pack. So, the 2 packages I cared about are on it, which makes me extremely happy.

I'd like to ask about the warranty issues that some of you brought up. So, flashing the ECU will void the warranty? If so, yeah I think I'll wait on that for a bit. Now, how about the 2nd cat delete. Will that void any warranties as well? What exactly IS a secondary cat delete anyway? Is it just where the 2nd cats are cut off and replaced with something? What is this "something", and where do I get it? Is it the H-pipes and X-pipes I keep reading about? If so, it appears there are quite a few to choose from. Which one do I need?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Vhayne
Seriously guys, thanks a TON for all the replies and help!

I picked up the car today (about 6:00 est). Wow! I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally get a Merc! So luxurious compared to my ford raptor and Toyota sienna, as well as comparing to my past sports cars. I really like it a lot. The only complaint I have at this point is the lack of traction even on a very slight take-off. Rear tires are worn quite a bit, so I am guessing this won't be an issue when they are replaced.

Great news, the dealer decided to replace the rear tires at no extra cost! They have to order them, but I should get them put on sometime next week. I asked what brand, size, etc. And all they could tell me was whatever it has as stock. So, well, it's free. I'm not going to complain lol. I'll just be thankful they are doing it.

On the "packages question", I did the EPCnet Online thingy. Thanks a TON for that info! It has the performance package, as some of you had already guessed by the red calipers and carbon spoiler. It also has the LSD, which I believe came with the performance pack. So, the 2 packages I cared about are on it, which makes me extremely happy.

I'd like to ask about the warranty issues that some of you brought up. So, flashing the ECU will void the warranty? If so, yeah I think I'll wait on that for a bit. Now, how about the 2nd cat delete. Will that void any warranties as well? What exactly IS a secondary cat delete anyway? Is it just where the 2nd cats are cut off and replaced with something? What is this "something", and where do I get it? Is it the H-pipes and X-pipes I keep reading about? If so, it appears there are quite a few to choose from. Which one do I need?
The P31 package is basically forged internals, forged rods, crank and pistons . Its was about a $5000 option and makes about 25 hp more than a standard C63. I also beleive the top speed limiter is set at 174mph on P31 cars, about 8mph higer than an non P31 car. To my knowledge the LSD was not part of the P31 and was a stand alone option. Brake system is the same but calipers are painted red.

Enjou your new car and you better get used to tire spin and buying new tires lol.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
1) ...275 rear and 245 front seem to be the widest you can go on stock 18" and I believe even 19" wheels
Uh oh. I hope you are wrong. I just ordered up a set of 255/35/19 and 275/30/19 for my 507. Someone who actually KNOWS the answer please tell me whether I can go 255 in the front of a bone stock 507 with NO rub.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by HBC350
Uh oh. I hope you are wrong. I just ordered up a set of 255/35/19 and 275/30/19 for my 507. Someone who actually KNOWS the answer please tell me whether I can go 255 in the front of a bone stock 507 with NO rub.
not sure why everyone says theres issues..i was rockin 285's on my stock 18" AMG wheels with 35 i think series tire and never rubbed on stock suspension
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by avery.whss
not sure why everyone says theres issues..i was rockin 285's on my stock 18" AMG wheels with 35 i think series tire and never rubbed on stock suspension
I'm not concerned about the 275-30 in the rear. It seems almost unanimous that a stock 507 can accommodate that size. I'm concerned about running a 255-35 in the front.

Admittedly, I know little about tire sizing. I just thought that it might be a good idea to go up 20mm on each axle to keep the car from detecting a differential between front and rear and potentially affecting the ABS or traction control calculation.

On my 2009 C63, I had random traction control warning lights when exiting spiral offramps after replacing just the rear tires. Presumably because the computer was detecting a change in rolling distance between front and rear due to new tires in the back and old ones in the front. I'm less concerned about this, though, than I am rub. I'm also not concerned about a slight loss in handling due to sidewall height. I'm 50 years old and drive this car fairly conservatively. No crazy G's ever.

Bottom line, if 255's in front will fit, I want to run them if they won't look dopey.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I moved from stock 235/255 18" to 245/275 19" and no warning lights or other issues. There's been a lot of debate on the forums about making sure you new tire/wheel combos are no more than 1% difference from stock, but that makes little sense to me. Tire wear alone will reduce diameter significantly, so I don't put stock on those arguments. And I've had no issues and tons of folks are running 19", some 20". And as some have said, it's more a question if you'll get rubbing or not. With my new 19" I was scared as heck I was gonna rub in the rear since during install I could barely squeeze my hand behind the new wheel. But low and behold, no issues.

You've got staggered F/R tires as stock, so no worries staying staggered. Folks should be able to tell you if the 255 will fit. But don't worry about some pseudo symmetry, IMO.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:46 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
This site will decode the VIN

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
That question was answered long ago