Project. ABC hose repair P

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Project. ABC hose repair P

BTW this is on a 2002 CL500

So I decided to document this. One , because I have no idea what Im doing and hope people will chime in, and two to help others.

Long story short I found out my ABC Hose had a leak, THIS IS NOT THE ONE that requires an engine lift. I wouldn't even be attempting that one. I believe it is hose 110 and it comes of the valve with a marking of P. I could see the leak at the top of the hose as it curled back behind the wheel.

P mark

First I thought it was the bottom (circled in red), Turns out it spraying from the top, circled in red, also.

Now, my pump and everything still works. My fluid was low, abc sign came on, filled it, light went off and everything worked perfectly. I never would have noticed anything had I not saw the puddle on the floor. getting back out after the test drive of filling it with a liter of ABC fluid. ( Im cheap, I use pentosin)

EVERY DIAGRAM SHOWS THIS HOSE BEING ONE CONTIOUNUS HOSE ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK. it is not. Thank (whatever deity you believe in) its not. It actually goes shortly behind the wheel well. This self taught lesson came from me refusing to believe Mercedes are just that badly engineered and looking at it myself.

I managed to get the inner fender from the front passenger wheel off quite easily, you just need a socket wrench (forgot the bit size) but if your attempting this I expect the individual to have an array of parts in his tool box. I tried to mark the cable and its fastening in red. Apparently I suck at paint. need one of those fancy graphic tablets.

This is a closer connection behind the front wheel wale .

So for the moment this is how far I have gotten. Its sunday and even If was to take this off today I cant buy the hose or get the original redone. Im off weds so it will have to wait till then. Any advice anyone wants to give me at this point would be appreciated. It is my understanding that this is not a fatal hose to have to remove. I can just take it off. cap the ends so nothing gets in the system, repair the hose or purchase new, re attach, fill with ABC fluid and back to rolling. Just after replacing I need to move the vehicle up and down a few times to make sure fluid level is accurate.

So far so good.

It would be a big help if anyone knew the part number for that hose, I appreciate.
Attached Thumbnails Project. ABC hose repair P-dsc09104.jpg   Project. ABC hose repair P-dsc091045.jpg   Project. ABC hose repair P-dsc091067.jpg   Project. ABC hose repair P-dsc091033.jpg  

Last edited by vmystikilv; 06-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Range Rover
So I've decided I think I'm just going to bring the hose to a hydraulics place and have them rebuild it. I will keep everyone informed.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Range Rover
So this went pretty straight forward. Took the hose off, I had to buy a new one at the dealership for 93 bucks. The hydraulic place down here couldn't make a new line because the neck was to short. But, people at Mercedes were nice, just as long as your spending money. I did see the new cla45, that thing is nice... One day...

The new hose they gave me was capped at both ends. when I got home I partially filled it with fluid and just installed it. WHEN I removed the old hose I use a torn plastic trash bag to fill and cover of both openings so nothing would get inside. I also cleaned the areas with a tooth brush before I removed any of the fastenings. surprisingly I did not loose that much fluid changing out the hose. I thought there was going to be 3-4 cans worth laying on the ground. Lost not even a full can.

After the hose change, I up and down about 10 times and went for a drive. The ABC light blue was on for a second when I first started. I cycled up and down 5 times, turned off. Toped with fluid, cycle up and down 5 more times and all is good. Test drive was good. Im content for now.

I have it, I see the benefit of it. But, I studied the system top to bottom before I attempted to do this and first off, this is the most over engineered suspension system in the world. I just wonder what mad man thought this up. Yes, the system works. This would be great on a race car or something but for an everyday vehicle its a bit much. I do the speed limit, I don't bob and weave through traffic. I don't need this much capability. I just want to enjoy the car. It does ride really good however, I cant complain. Mops the floor with coil anything and I actually enjoy it more than my airmatic. But, the @#*& you go through to keep the system. I still going to chuck it around the end of the year. This was one messing job. Please, anyone attempting to change a basic abc hose WEAR SURGICAL GLOVES, this was the messiest job I ever done in a car.

Stay Everyone
Attached Thumbnails Project. ABC hose repair P-photo7sig.jpg  

Last edited by vmystikilv; 06-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Congratulations on a good job!

I'm doing the same on mine at the moment, and a few patterns in ABC reliability are emerging.

Nick
Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
+1 on the good job

I've got to change my rear Valve Block soon, so reading everything ABC

Nick, you noticed a pattern, care to share?
Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
A few patterns - now what did I mean by that two months ago? I think it was this:

ABC can't be treated as a no-maintenance system.
You have to change the oil and filter regularly, just like anything else.
Nothing lasts forever, especially flexible hoses.
Some hoses are more vulnerable than others, depending on the pressure, temperature and duty cycle.
Some return hoses run at low pressure, and last forever.
Some hoses are under pressure when the engine is running, and fail quickly.
Some hoses are always under pressure.
The various nitrogen accumulators often leak and fail, and then take out other components with them.
Valve blocks often need cleaning out and re-sealing - not usually necessary to replace.
There are lots of mechanical weak links, like "quick-release" connectors, ball joints, bushes, level sensors and links.

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 09-07-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
do you have the numbers of the high pressure hoses?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Range Rover
Mercedes wouldn't give them to me over the phone. They wouldn't give them to me at all. Its why I had to buy them from the dealer. Couldn't look online for them. They are not to much. The main high pressure hose under the engine is under recall...
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM

2003 Mercedes sl500
ABC lines

Does anyone know if this is the same setup on a 2003 sl500. I have the same line ruptured. Thanks in advance....
Old 11-20-2014, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
The installation is similar, but it won't share many parts. The pump and valve blocks MIGHT be the same, but the struts and lines are definitely different.

Nick
Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
hose recall

When was the recall issued for the hose under the engine? Do you have the link or any additional info?

thanks

S.

Originally Posted by vmystikilv
Mercedes wouldn't give them to me over the phone. They wouldn't give them to me at all. Its why I had to buy them from the dealer. Couldn't look online for them. They are not to much. The main high pressure hose under the engine is under recall...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Range Rover
Not sure, put when I picked my pulsation dampener up I had them check to see if the recall was done and they said yes. Just call the service department and see if it was done.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 AM

mercedes benz s500

So I decided to document this. One , because I have no idea what Im doing and hope people will chime in, and two to help others.

Long story short I found out my ABC Hose had a leak, THIS IS NOT THE ONE that requires an engine lift. I wouldn't even be attempting that one. I believe it is hose 110 and it comes of the valve with a marking of P. I could see the leak at the top of the hose as it curled back behind the wheel.

P mark

First I thought it was the bottom (circled in red), Turns out it spraying from the top, circled in red, also.

Now, my pump and everything still works. My fluid was low, abc sign came on, filled it, light went off and everything worked perfectly. I never would have noticed anything had I not saw the puddle on the floor. getting back out after the test drive of filling it with a liter of ABC fluid. ( Im cheap, I use pentosin)

EVERY DIAGRAM SHOWS THIS HOSE BEING ONE CONTIOUNUS HOSE ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK. it is not. Thank (whatever deity you believe in) its not. It actually goes shortly behind the wheel well. This self taught lesson came from me refusing to believe Mercedes are just that badly engineered and looking at it myself.

I managed to get the inner fender from the front passenger wheel off quite easily, you just need a socket wrench (forgot the bit size) but if your attempting this I expect the individual to have an array of parts in his tool box. I tried to mark the cable and its fastening in red. Apparently I suck at paint. need one of those fancy graphic tablets.

So for the moment this is how far I have gotten. Its sunday and even If was to take this off today I cant buy the hose or get the original redone. Im off weds so it will have to wait till then. Any advice anyone wants to give me at this point would be appreciated. It is my understanding that this is not a fatal hose to have to remove. I can just take it off. cap the ends so nothing gets in the system, repair the hose or purchase new, re attach, fill with ABC fluid and back to rolling. Just after replacing I need to move the vehicle up and down a few times to make sure fluid level is accurate.

So far so good.

It would be a big help if anyone knew the part number for that hose, I appreciate.
How long was the labor about?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Ben cl500

P mark

So far so good.

Thx for posting this forum , I think my car is leaking from exact hose, by change do u knw the name or number for tht hose ? It’s rrally a mess at the driver side
The following 2 users liked this post by Baypoint:
biker349 (06-10-2019), Dippa (04-04-2022)
Old 12-25-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CL550, 2005 SL500, 1984 380SL 1985 Mustang GT
New owner of a 2005 Cl600. Great car but has some leaks. The previous owner replaced the ABC pump and rebuilt the dead end line. however they made it too long and the ubend it pointing down into the frame rail. unbelievable noise as the metal part of the hose is touching the frame. Got some great info on here on replacing the line. especially going through the control arm to get to the banjo bolt. I was looking for the hose and the best I could find was 299. went to Mercedes for a diagram and he showed me there is a complete assembly which includes both high pressure hoses and brackets. found that online for 350. they list both for over 350 each. 220-320-57-72. thanks to many posts here. raising the engine and lowering the subframe is better than removing the engine.
I also am replacing the right front strut line. Again, great tips on turning the quick disconnect an little at a time to free it up. eventually it came off. I can not get the new quick release to connect. any tips? the arm is hanging.
I also need to replace the strut mounts or rebuild them. Anyone have the spacers cut out already? and the spanner?

thanks
Bill
Old 12-25-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CL550, 2005 SL500, 1984 380SL 1985 Mustang GT
opened the bleeder and it went on!