CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Looking to buy CL600, the 03+ what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Looking to buy CL600, the 03+ what to look out for?

** do NOT offer me your car **

Had CLS55, loved it but despite MASSIVE upgrades the ESP kills the fun. A good tune-up made it bit more responsive but still felt "someone else" was asked before the car did something.

Got something else for the track nowadays and no family to haul in an S-class and don't need to compensate for anything so no SUVs for me...

What is left? A luxury coupe!
Fuel is going on company tap so I may as well go for the V12, and no, not the N/A toy.

Soooo... What should I look for and especially what to look out for?
Is there anything big/expensive coming up at certain milage?

If I find one with all optional extras it should compare nicely against its successor and the price range was surprisingly low...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
asked and answered...again and again and again.

search
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Fast
Paste me some topics then. Tried searching, English isn't my native language so I found almost nothing
Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
ah hmm...

1. Coil packs
2. ABC hoses
3. ABC struts
4.Raidator neck
5. upper coolant hose, leaks also at neck
6. Bushings and suspensions (even if the suspension fills ok listen for noises)
7. Radio works
8. ABC pump
9. instrument cluster failure
10. blend motors for A/C (does it blow hot and cold)
11. Check every single button
12. Stuck in park
13. auto door close assist working on all doors and trunk
14. all lights and mirror turn signals work, dash wont tell you all of them unless you activate the lights first.
15. over half the CL's used I have seen have there cup holders broken

That's all off the top of my head now, check ABC fluid. If its black run far far away.
Just so you know what your getting into. Even if everything works , major pieces are going to go wrong. there is nothing you can do about it.
Only two type of people should own this car. Rich that don't care what maintenance cost are and don't get upset when the car needs $5000 of suspension repairs. Or, those that are diagnostic savey, can repair there own, and like to tinker. I think I am a mid combination of both, im not a mechanic but I have repaired the ABC lines myself and other items when I first saw trouble and im not rich either but I can afford a engine or transmission if something goes terribly wrong. You have been warned. A member on this forum describe it perfectly when he said "its like a have a beautiful mistress with a cocaine habit. "

Last edited by vmystikilv; 08-01-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Fast
It probably wont be driven "hard" or often at the track. A daily driver only going flat out at motorway ramps...

I can do some maintenance myself but the reason I buy mercs is that I don't have worry about the engine/gearbox exploding on me.

I'm sending an agent to get the car and fully inspect it. It's gonna be from a dealer and most offer 6mth & 1 year extra warranties.
Should be enough to get her thru rehab or get rid of her. There's plenty of N/A 600s but the turbo-models dissappear from the sales fast.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
You , my friend are a lucky and brave soul. I wish I had the heart to get any of the v12's but the coil packs keep me away. plus maintenece is crazy, 12 plugs and wires etc. I don't care if its turbo or non turbo its still a hell of a car.

I always stayed away from 600 and 55 because of ABC, I came up on a to good to pass up deal on my CL and im learning to work with and deal with the suspension. Plus at the end of the day, I know there is a failsafe where I can just toss the entire system. I would like to add a v12 back to the stable though. maybe time to look for a 850 bmw again, post pics when you get the car
Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
24 plugs for the V12 TT !
Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Yeah, but at least with the 2003 CL600 you only have to unbolt the charge coolers and remove the coil packs to get at them. You used to have to remove the inlet manifolds to do that.

Nick