CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2002 CL500 ABC Drive Carefully Light On. Repair Costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CL500
He changed his story when I popped the hood. He said oh I'm sure they filled it probably all just drained out.

I licked the dipstick lol. That's how clean it was hahaha.

He said it's probably the accumulators and it would be a few hundred I said ok just get it done. He said he would get to it on Friday but I haven't heard back.

He said I wouldn't need to buy a new pump. I wonder what he's going to do. I only paid 300 for mine. Is he gonna order one and put it in for free without telling me? Or bull**** to what it is and charge me for the pump claiming it's something else.

Just don't see how they are going to fix it. Without charging me for the pump.

I paid American Express. Unless they put all this in for practically free, I will reverse the charge. From the first time after I get the car back.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Very suspicious. If it all drained out, you'd be able to see where it went. And its not usually the accumulators. That's not completely impossible, but yours would probably be the first.

Nick
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
Nick, aren't the accumulators more expensive than just a few hundred dollars? KT if the pump is currently leaking, it's not going to stop, it'll get worse and you'll end up essentially paying for this twice. I don't think he's going to replace the pump again for you, it sounds like he's really just shooting in the dark because he is in over his head with your car. All too often you find the shiesters who are too arrogant to say they don't know and instead they will play process of elimination on your dime. My advice, I wouldn't let him go probing any deeper into your system, as it will most likely cost you the failure of subsequent components. I can tell you the cost of 2 new valve blocks is 3800 just for parts. If I were you, I'd pull the car immediately and if your going to dispute the charge, I'd do it now while you have a moral ground to stand on. If you allow him to continue to work and process additional charges, there's a good chance Amex will be curious as to why you would have taken it back to him if you were dissatisfied with the work he did originally. Just my advice. I think this is going no where good for you.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
accumulators are like $150 each. if the membrane breaks you could see the level decrease.

i'm not quite sure i buy your wrench's story though
Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM

2002 CL500
I already took it to another mechanic before this guy. It 100% was the pump. My first mechanic would not install a pump that was not from him, so I had to take it to this guy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stadium-auto-service-ann-arbor

They are Mercedes specific mechanic. Every car on the lot is Mercedes or Masserti. or BMW.

The pump was leaking again but they have the car now. I'm waiting till monday to call them. They are closed.

And FYI the guy I'm talking too I don't think is the mechanic, his hands are pretty clean, guessing it's the manager or something. Seems to be the boss. Super nice guy.

I just can't pay much more than I already have.

Last edited by KT1990; 07-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
at this point see where this goes, but don't agree to pay much more money. if you get the run around , or a large estimate pull the car and take whatever action you want against the shop. you're pretty much stuck and hopefully they work it out cheaply. sounds like a large shop. unfortunately all mechanics are not the same. they may have given your car to a rookie mechanic for the experience and it sounds like he may have messed up. hopefully they make it right.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I don't mean to be a dick, but perhaps this isn't the car for you? There are a bunch of other ABC related repairs that are easily $1k+, not to mention other expensive systems on the car. It seems as though money is a bit tight, so perhaps not the time for a once flagship car?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 AM

2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
KT it sounds like you've been dealing with the service advisor or manager, but if all they work on is Benz, one would think he'd be more knowledgeable. At least he's not the one doing the work though, since he believes the reservoir doesn't need fluid.
Biker is right and as someone here had told me, no mechanic is an expert in everything. It seems silly to have given such a project to someone requiring experience, but you never know. I do hope it works out okay for you.
Quad has a point on how costly some of this stuff can be. I'm not going to say you shouldn't have the car or make assumptions on whether or not you can afford to keep up with it. I will say I read you mentioned you paid 6k for it. That's a crazy price and I imagine you got such a steal because of its various issues. You may want to study up on here about anything diy. Learn your way around the car and maybe you can get some of it done yourself. In addition, you may consider converting the suspension as mentioned previously. It'll eliminate all future abc related costs which can start at 1k and stretch to 10k. For what you paid, it's just not worth it to invest that kind of capital. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM

2002 CL500
So he just called me.

Apparently it's the pump again. He said because it is aftermarket they end up leaking a lot. He left me a message asking whether I am going to get another aftermarket or go for their pumps which are guaranteed.

Cardone has a 3 year 36k mile warranty or free replacement so I think I will try one more time?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
this is possible. is he going to give you a break on the install? i thought cardone had a lifetime warranty. some people have been saying not to use a rebuilt pump and others have been using rebuilt pumps while others have been rebuilding pumps on their own. this makes me assume rebuit pumps can be effective if done properly. interested to see how this turns out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 PM

If the one you got was defective than you should see about that warranty. You can most likely get a replacement at no cost. Sure hope second time is a charm for you.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
The shop burned that pump up I guarantee it, but since you furnished it they won't pay to replace it. I hate this has happened to you. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 AM

Most likely they did but he could play dumb and try to get a replacement. Just say it was leaking upon installing, which is true. He doesn't necessarily need to know why.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 AM

2002 CL500
Ok I just ordered a return via rock auto. I have to reship in back in which sucks cause I threw the box out as the mechanic stuck my old pump in there and it was covered in oil.

I guess I'll just order the new one, choose one day shipping and then stick the old pump in the new box and ship back.

Remind the damn mechanic to but Hydraulic fluid in it this time. Hopefully they cut me a break on install or when I get car back I may reverse the charge for labor?

idk I've never reversed a charge before, am I in the right here? They got my car and I'd like to get it done without more problems so I wait till after right?

Edit: If I get the car back with the new pump in, and I check the hydraulic fluid and they still didn't fill it, what do I do, ***** in the waiting room or just go to autozone, and pick some up there and fill it up?

Isn't there some special primer crap you got to do or can I just fill it?

Why does the pumps on Rock Auto not include reservoir cap? Is the mechanic adding one? Prob a dumbass question.

Just ordered it. Hopefully I ordered the right one, 21-5386 instead of 85, just second guessing myself on everything now.

Btw thank you guys for all your help and reading all my crap lol. Nice to know people care.

Last edited by KT1990; 07-07-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 AM

When you reverse a charge you're actually disputing the transaction. Typically this is done if it was unauthorized, you were charged more than you agreed to pay or you never received your product or service for payment. When you dispute the merchant (mechanic) can counter act with whatever supporting materials they may have. So essentially your card will tentatively credit you back the amount while they investigate but if the merchant can prove that they provided a service and collected that money rightfully, they are legally responsible to allow the merchant to collect on the funds. This can lead to future charges being declined or you going over your limit, rise in interest rate. Your best course of action would be to speak to the shop manager and tell them that you kno their negligence (not adding fluid) caused the new pump to burn out. Tell them that either they install the second pump free of charge or you'll have to take your car elsewhere. Even if your just bluffing, this should be effective.
You definitely should not have to pick up your own fluid, that's part of the job they are doing. If they can't manage to have a parts place drop off hydraulic fluid, they have no business in the business. As far as the pump coming with a reservoir cap, I'm almost certain these are two completely separate entities. Anyone can chime in here, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to come with a reservoir cap. Are you missing the cap to your reservoir? I'm not certain, but if you are this may have caused a problem when the fluid was returned to the reservoir, it may have been spitting out. Even still, any qualified mechanic would have noticed you didn't have a cap and ordered you one before releasing the car, as it's necessary to keep the fluid inside the system and keep pollutants out.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
hey, they didn't tell you what the charge is going to be for the re-install? when you give them the new pump let them know your concerns about priming the pump before they do it. ask to speak to the mechanic whose doing the job and let him give you his input on the install and if your not happy ask for another mechanic, or explain your concerns about the prime etc. to him and see what he says. when i check rock auto they say that you have to send in the old pump to be rebuit. how are you getting pumps ready to go? good luck and do your do diligence before they install the new pump. then explain your misgivings about the job and your wanting money off for all the inconvenience and aggravation. if you are too strong with them before they do the job they may tell you to take your car elsewhere and you can have further problems. i don't think it's out of the question for you to ask if they are charging to replace the pump and how much. i think they should eat the re-install, or at the least give you a break on the labor cost. your in a bad place and pretty much at the will of the shop unless your willing to tow the car elsewhere and have the pump installed again with no break in cost. something else you might want to try after the job is completed if your not satisfied with the bill, etc. tell them your unsatisfied and if they won't help you will go to social media with your case as well as contacting news agencies etc. which may not be good for their reputation. at this point your pretty much stuck. do what you can without antagonizing them. after they job is done is the time to go in with guns blazing. again good luck!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
I would not give them the go ahead with the pump installation until I had a firm price. Then I would follow biker's suggestion, and discuss your concerns about priming the pump, etc.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:02 PM

2005 CL55
Any new news? If so I hope it's good.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 PM

2002 CL500
UPDATE:

Ok. Just picked it up from the shop. $1300 lol

The first install was $700. This is almost double although I did have them stick in those side mirror lights, charged me $100 so it's actually $1200. Pissed.

I checked the oil. Did put it in this time. To the top.

I asked them specifically to keep the old pump so I can return it for $300 back, they threw it away lol.

Do I have any cause to reverse the first charge of $700 since they did not fill it and threw the pump away?

It did say a note the the casing on the pump was damaged and had to glue the screw to fit it or something. Hopefully it does not leak.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by KT1990
UPDATE:

Ok. Just picked it up from the shop. $1300 lol

The first install was $700. This is almost double although I did have them stick in those side mirror lights, charged me $100 so it's actually $1200. Pissed.

I checked the oil. Did put it in this time. To the top.

I asked them specifically to keep the old pump so I can return it for $300 back, they threw it away lol.

Do I have any cause to reverse the first charge of $700 since they did not fill it and threw the pump away?

It did say a note the the casing on the pump was damaged and had to glue the screw to fit it or something. Hopefully it does not leak.
I would reverse whatever monies they screwed you out of by throwing that pump away. Besides all that how is the system holding up? If I were you I would NOT ever do business with them again.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by fireman685
I would reverse whatever monies they screwed you out of by throwing that pump away. Besides all that how is the system holding up? If I were you I would NOT ever do business with them again.
Agreed, please don't take your car back there. Hopefully you'll be trouble free from now on. Your card company is going to do what it takes to keep you happy. They screwed up the first time so yes you can claim their negligence caused you to have to do the repair twice. It would look better if you had taken it elsewhere the second time, but if I were you, I would fight the initial charge. Never trust these people when they say they've thrown something worth money away, ask me how I know. Luckily I caught my tech in his lie and got my struts back, but from what I saw they will tell you they trashed em and sell them theirselves. Good luck
Old 07-14-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
lol, stay away from that shop. obviously they can't follow your directions and charged you more the second time. report them to the better business bureau and slam them on social media. i would confront them about all this and ask for a refund, or you'll follow up on the bbb and social media, but some how i don't think your willing to do that. stay away from that shop!!!! btw, what is the name and location of this shop so other posters don't get screwed like apparently you did. let's keep members informed.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Yea biker I still haven't found anyone local who can disassemble the original system. Never did hear back from that performance shop that was supposed to be "looking into it." I haven't forgotten though, it's still on my radar
Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 PM

2002 CL500
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stadium-auto-service-ann-arbor
Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
well, the pictures look impressive. engines out, struts out, star diagnosis. super large shop. reminds me of a dealer. probably treat people like a dealer too as far as pricing and diagnosis.
thanks CLK500 TWINS. i appreciate it that. good luck!

Last edited by biker349; 07-15-2015 at 09:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2002 CL500 ABC Drive Carefully Light On. Repair Costs?