CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC suspension nightmare. Please help. *Longish read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 W215 Cl65 Amg
ABC suspension nightmare. Please help. *Longish read

Hello, my name is Tommy and this is my first time posting on mbworld. I have searched these forums for random things such as mods for my w215 CL65 but now I am having a serious problem with my ABC and decided to join and post hoping for some help and guidance.

Background...

Right now I own a 2006 Cl65 with about 72k miles on it and have never had any problems whatsoever until recently. The problem started after i hit a fairly large pot hole on the driver side front wheel at low speed. I'm a very careful driver majority of the time after having previously owned a lowered E46 m3. Ever since then I've had this odd noise when i drive on uneven/bumpy roads. It is not so much a "rattling" noise as it is more of a "ricketing" noise and yesterday it even made the noise when i started the car. Here is where my nightmare begins...

I took it to the "family" mechanic who is a "friend" of ours, told him about the problem and left my car there to have the problem fixed. So basically to shorten this story he calls back saying that i will have to replace both lower control arm assemblies and it will be 2500$ after parts and labor. I was blown away obviously that this tiny noise would cost this much but assumed its a pricey car and he knew what he was talking about. Boy was i wrong. Payed the money for the work and same problem was still there. So after taking it back to him 3 times, saying he fixed it you are good to go, on the 3rd visit he said "Now we will have to replace the shocks" where he continued to tell me it was going to be 3200$ for parts and labor on top of the 2500$ i payed for virtually nothing. After losing all trust in this guys abilities to fix my car i said hell no I'm getting a second opinion.

Than the nightmare continues...

So I find another mechanic who was recommended to me by a good friend. Took the car to this guy, tell him what work had been done and hoped for the best. He calls me back and says "Bad news. You have to replace the shocks. I can do it for 2700$". At this point I'm devastated having no idea this tiny problem would put me into 5200$ of debt (I'm 21 and obviously i cant fork out cash like that). I did some research on the arnott rebuild shocks and tell the guy to use them instead of the OEM shocks. He says ok that's fine it'll be 1760$ out the door. I was happy with that since i was saving a grand.

Current nightmare situation...

I get the car back after replacing the shocks AND THE NOISE IS STILL THERE AS CLEAR AS DAY.....

At this point i have no idea what to do. I'm absolutely begging someone on here for something/anything to help me solve this problem. I am now 4260$ in debt with absolutely nothing to show for it. Please if you need anymore info on my issue i will try to respond ASAP.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Yikes! Sorry to hear. Kind of hard to diagnose a rattle over the Internet, and probably impossible without you at least making a video. Where in SoCal are you? Maybe another member on here who is local can direct you to a better diagnostician.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 W215 Cl65 Amg
Thanks for the reply. Ya i understand. I would make a video but its so subtle and these cars are so quiet inside, I'm almost certain the microphone wouldn't pick it up. I'm about 1 hour east of LA if anyone could throw in a suggestion. Very nice cl btw =)
Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
How practical are you?
Can you take a wheel off?
You need to find what is rattling.
When you go over a single bump, does it rattle only on the bump, or for a short time afterwards?
The best advice you'll get anywhere is here, not in a garage.
Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 06-07-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Sorry to hear your having troubles. The one thing you said that is confusing is that you "heard the noise yesterday when starting the car".

So are you saying that you hear the noise sometimes when vehicle is stationary and you just start the car up? Because this would make a huge difference as to what could be causing the noise.

Regardless, I wonder if the bump was big enough whether it could have damaged something in ABC system. Maybe pump or pulsation dampner.

What you should do is get a automotive stethoscope or sonar scope. If the noise is present when you just start the car you should be able to pinpoint it somehow.

Please let us know.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
I second Pulsation damper, especially when starting. Damn thing replaced twice and it makes all kinds of noises like a bad power steering pump.