CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 2002
Brake Lights

wusup everybody. i just got a fix it ticket for my brake lights not working i went and checked after i got home and none of my brake lights are working that are in the trunk the outside ones work any body know what it is can the both the bulbs gone out or is it a fuse? anybody know where the fuse is?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
If I'm not mistaken...

your brake lights seem to work just fine. The inner lights (on trunk lid) are the rear foglights actuated by pulling the light fob out to the second position. Even when on, the rear fog only lights up on the passenger side of the vehicle....this is a euro application as most US cars dont have rear fog lights. why it only lights on the passengerside I dont really know, except to say that side in Europe is of course the driver's side of the vehicle.

Gentlemen/women of the forum....please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Check the fuse box on the driver side of the dash- you should be able to see a spot on the side of the dash that you can pull off when the door is open. There is a 15 amp fuse (spot 22?) that if blown will cause the brake lights to go out. You may also see an error with the BAS, ESP and ABS on the dash. The fuse box cover will tell you which spot is for the brake lights. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 CLK 430 Cab
I think if it was a fuse, none of the brake lights would work. The abs, bas and esp would come on if the brake switch was bad. I would just change the bulbs.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by MMM430
your brake lights seem to work just fine. The inner lights (on trunk lid) are the rear foglights actuated by pulling the light fob out to the second position. Even when on, the rear fog only lights up on the passenger side of the vehicle....this is a euro application as most US cars dont have rear fog lights. why it only lights on the passengerside I dont really know, except to say that side in Europe is of course the driver's side of the vehicle.

Gentlemen/women of the forum....please correct me if I'm wrong.
ya only one of my rear fogs lights up...i thought one of my bulbs was always out this whole time tho? lol
but if im not mistaken..i think my driver side rear fog is the one that lights up, not my passenger side..but ill chek wen i leve work...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 PM

CLK320 2002
when i turn my lights on at night and then i press the brakes my lights do not light up. i do have the abs bas esp lights on my dash i am planning on changing those i will also check the fuse box then 2.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 AM

Angry Brake Lights

Hi everyone I have a CLK 320 1998.

I had the problem of getting a BAS , ESP, ABS signal on the dash and I followed instructions about replacing the brake switch, after I did that everything went back to normal.

The problem I have now is that when I press the Brake Pedal I get a Bad Bulb message on the dash. On the brake light system( trunk) passenger side there is 3 bulbs I pulled out both sides and like I mentioned before on the passenger side there is one of the bulbs that does not light up but the bulb is good because I tested in the other side and it works.

Anyone can give a hint of how can I fix this problem ? Do you think is a fuse.
Also In the day time with no lights switch on, the brake lights work , but in the night as soon as I turn on the lights switch the brake lights do not work and after turning the switch on I do not get the bulb malfunction in the screen.

Also the Tail light on the back crystal stays on all the time when I activate the lights switch. Isn't this light supposed to go on only when I brake.
Can anyone explain how shoul I go about this issue.

Your help would be kindly appreciatted in this matter.

Best Regards from the caribbean,

FC
Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I've got a bulb that tests good on my workbench too, but it only worked half the time when plugged into the car. My solution? I pitched the $2 bulb and installed a new one.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
15 Amp Brake Light Fuse

s.f.clk02,

I had the same problem this week. Tail lights out and ESP, ABS, BAS and Lamp light out warning on the dash. Replaced the brake switch but it didn't fix the problem. So, I removed the fuse cover on the drivers side dash and sure enough the fuse for the brake lights was out (15 amp). Replaced and the brake lights worked and all of the warning lights disappeared. I would try that first and save yourself some time and money. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM

CLK320 2002
sounds good ill try that later on today and get back to you
Old 12-25-2011, 07:13 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG W208
Brake Light Problems CLK55 01

Originally Posted by ashutt
s.f.clk02,

I had the same problem this week. Tail lights out and ESP, ABS, BAS and Lamp light out warning on the dash. Replaced the brake switch but it didn't fix the problem. So, I removed the fuse cover on the drivers side dash and sure enough the fuse for the brake lights was out (15 amp). Replaced and the brake lights worked and all of the warning lights disappeared. I would try that first and save yourself some time and money. Good luck.
Hey there!
I know this post was along time ago but I am having the same problem. I changed my brake stop lamp switch put a new one in about a year ago which I picked up at the mercedes dealership because all of my brake lights wasn't working. I put that in and they all worked perfectly. Now just recently my ESP/BAS light came on for couple of times but disappeared now. I checked my brake lights during the day they work fine but at night as soon as I put my night light on they left and right brake lights don't work but the one on the back window light works(tail light). When I push on my brake at night the tail light works how it is suppose too. I am thinking I need to change the fuse only. I hope that is the case. I was wondering do you know what fuse number it is? I think it is Fuse Number 41? That is a 15 amp fuse and says turn signal indicator lamp, but I am not sure any help would be great!