CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dealer CANNOT help me (Warning lamp)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Unhappy Dealer CANNOT help me (Warning lamp)

Hope all is well with everyone.. Been a long time.
As most of you know, I got LED in my car forever and I got this warning lamp and i cannot figure out, took it to dealer and no help as well....
Lets say u get into my car, u put the key into the ignition, and u turn the light on, I got no probs at all... without pressing on the brake pedal, I turn the car on and the warning come up... Most of my bulbs got the canbus chip that bypass the warning lamp.
In other word once i turn my engine on, the warning comes up... when the engine is not running all my light seems fine.

Lets see the bulbs that i have checked....
License plate
side markers
high and low beam
running light
fog light
trunk light
brake light and third brake light on my trunk
reverse light

INSIDE
every bulb in my dash
ac light
windows light
tranny light
both side door
both visors
the one in the middle by the mirror
glove box
side compartment
I even changed the sensor by the brake pedals

Im def loosing my temper and that beep beep sounds drives me nut
any help please !!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts
SL 400
Center console?

Originally Posted by big_mike1979
Hope all is well with everyone.. Been a long time.
As most of you know, I got LED in my car forever and I got this warning lamp and i cannot figure out, took it to dealer and no help as well....
Lets say u get into my car, u put the key into the ignition, and u turn the light on, I got no probs at all... without pressing on the brake pedal, I turn the car on and the warning come up... Most of my bulbs got the canbus chip that bypass the warning lamp.
In other word once i turn my engine on, the warning comes up... when the engine is not running all my light seems fine.

Lets see the bulbs that i have checked....
License plate
side markers
high and low beam
running light
fog light
trunk light
brake light and third brake light on my trunk
reverse light

INSIDE
every bulb in my dash
ac light
windows light
tranny light
both side door
both visors
the one in the middle by the mirror
glove box
side compartment
I even changed the sensor by the brake pedals

Im def loosing my temper and that beep beep sounds drives me nut
any help please !!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Center console?
Yes tried that too
What I meant to say with side comp is the center console
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 PM

SL 400
Yes tried that too
What I meant to say with side comp is the center console
Rear fog light? Even if you don't use it, it can still show as out and an error.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Sounds like one of your LED bulbs is throwing an error or slowly beginning to fail/flicker. The only option you really have is to go through the blubs, swap them out with oe bulbs till you find the culprit. Then you can find the replacement LED bulb.

I have LED city lights, side markers, and license plate bulbs. I had flickering bulbs for the license plate and the annoying error message on the dash. The LED canbus bulbs I had weren't the greatest quality. I'd start with the license plate bulbs since they're a common failure.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rear fog light? Even if you don't use it, it can still show as out and an error.
Im sorry you lost me.. Rear fog light???

Originally Posted by beefstallionAMG
Sounds like one of your LED bulbs is throwing an error or slowly beginning to fail/flicker. The only option you really have is to go through the blubs, swap them out with oe bulbs till you find the culprit. Then you can find the replacement LED bulb.

I have LED city lights, side markers, and license plate bulbs. I had flickering bulbs for the license plate and the annoying error message on the dash. The LED canbus bulbs I had weren't the greatest quality. I'd start with the license plate bulbs since they're a common failure.
i changed most of them.. gonna change my license plate bulb..
DO u know what is the mm on the bulb for the License plate please?
i cant put the oem because most of my wiring r modified , wont have the same sockets.. i changed every led bulb from outside but the 2 license plate.

PS: I have the conver, does the red side under the reverse light, is it just a reflector?????? i opened it and no bulb was in it in both side.
i checked all rear bulbs all working fine and they are oem.
led is from the front!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM

SL 400
Our cars have a REAR fog light (1) on the left rear side tail light. Only the left side has a fog light on US models. The info on it is listed in your owners manual. Since I switched my tail lights to LEDs, both L & R fogs work although I don't use them.

If you checked and there is no bulb in the left rear BUT there IS a socket then that is your problem so put a bulb in it. The reason i say "If" there is a socket is because you have a vert and I am not sure if they are the same as coupes. Hope this helps. Cheers
Im sorry you lost me.. Rear fog light???

PS: I have the conver, does the red side under the reverse light, is it just a reflector?????? i opened it and no bulb was in it in both side.
i checked all rear bulbs all working fine and they are oem.
led is from the front!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our cars have a REAR fog light (1) on the left rear side tail light. Only the left side has a fog light on US models. The info on it is listed in your owners manual. Since I switched my tail lights to LEDs, both L & R fogs work although I don't use them.

If you checked and there is no bulb in the left rear BUT there IS a socket then that is your problem so put a bulb in it. The reason i say "If" there is a socket is because you have a vert and I am not sure if they are the same as coupes. Hope this helps. Cheers
I checked all and nothing....
DO u know if they are suppose to light up? or something.. Not sure if the covert is diff than yours..
Now the warning lamp comes on and off and it seems from temp. When its cold its on and when its hot , its off.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer CANNOT help me (Warning lamp)-img_0707.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 PM

SL 400
Geez I don't know 4 sure on the vert. I could turn my rear fog on and off at will. I can still do it with the LEDs now.

The temp should not play a role in this.

So remind me again if you say there IS a bulb in the rear fog or the space is empty and you just see the socket where a bulb would go if you had one? If there is no socket then you don't have it and should move on to anther bulb. If there is a socket then it should be pretty easy to tell by replacing the bulb and turning on the rear fog light.

QUOTE=big_mike1979;6003812]I checked all and nothing....
DO u know if they are suppose to light up? or something.. Not sure if the covert is diff than yours..
Now the warning lamp comes on and off and it seems from temp. When its cold its on and when its hot , its off.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Geez I don't know 4 sure on the vert. I could turn my rear fog on and off at will. I can still do it with the LEDs now.

The temp should not play a role in this.

So remind me again if you say there IS a bulb in the rear fog or the space is empty and you just see the socket where a bulb would go if you had one? If there is no socket then you don't have it and should move on to anther bulb. If there is a socket then it should be pretty easy to tell by replacing the bulb and turning on the rear fog light.

QUOTE=big_mike1979;6003812]I checked all and nothing....
Now the warning lamp comes on and off and it seems from temp. When its cold its on and when its hot , its off.
[/QUOTE]

there is a socket but there is a sheet of metal on top of hte socket sealed from dealership so no place to put a bulb.. I gave up.. It comes and goes but Ty again for all you help
Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I changed all the lights from outside and now its working fine and error is gone.
i guess when u have a canbus in a bulb,(even though the bulb is working), canbus may go bad.. One of the bulbs was bad and i could not tell.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
LED bulbs are Chinese junk, they throw codes and go bad all the time. If you want the look, you just have to live with the headache. I was going to suggest changing the bulbs back to stock systematically, but looks like you found it.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jonUF02
LED bulbs are Chinese junk, they throw codes and go bad all the time. If you want the look, you just have to live with the headache. I was going to suggest changing the bulbs back to stock systematically, but looks like you found it.
I never used chineses stuff on my car.. it was american made but all is fine now. Ty
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Now that you've got it fixed, is it OK to jack the thread and say
YOUR WHEELS LOOK GOOD!

You had those refinished in Valencia California, right? If so, do you remember the name of the place?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 PM

CLK230 W208
I can confirm the rear fog light is indeed exist (only on driver side NOT both). In fact, I just fix bulb error message on my rear fog light.

Now, if somebody please help me with my bulb error message ONLY whenever I turn off main headlight (switch on does not throw error) ?? :S
Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Now that you've got it fixed, is it OK to jack the thread and say
YOUR WHEELS LOOK GOOD!

You had those refinished in Valencia California, right? If so, do you remember the name of the place?
hhahah thank you Marcus.. No i got them done at http://www.calchrome.com/
its where Jay Leno does his car... the shipping was a nightmare from VA but it was well worth it.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sz01361
I can confirm the rear fog light is indeed exist (only on driver side NOT both). In fact, I just fix bulb error message on my rear fog light.

Now, if somebody please help me with my bulb error message ONLY whenever I turn off main headlight (switch on does not throw error) ?? :S
Are they HID like aftermarket and aftermarket Ballest? I got same prob nor i care..
I turn my headlight on and Im ok and when i turn em off, i get the message.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM

CLK230 W208
Yes! I have aftermarket Halo projector headlight with Xenon bulb on it.

The thing is the headlight is working fine and did not throw error for the 3 months after installed (and still working fine) but now throwing error whenever switched off :S

Would very much like to fix this if possible... I already have this BAS/ASR/ESP error on my dashboard every time the car move past 15mph I cant fix yet
Old 09-24-2014, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The thing is the headlight is working fine and did not throw error for the 3 months after installed (and still working fine) but now throwing error whenever switched off :S

Would very much like to fix this if possible... I already have this BAS/ASR/ESP error on my dashboard every time the car move past 15mph I cant fix yet
Yes u can buy a cancellor.. I tried it once and kept on blowing up my fuses and i gave up...

As far as the BAS/ASR/ESP, did u disconnect the battery or something?
have u change the sensor under the brake pedals or the voltage regulator?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic

Are you talking about incandescent "xenon" colored bulb, or true HID system?

I have the original HID system mounted in aftermarket Halo lights, and it works fine.

I also have an aftermarket HID system for the fogs, and even with the cancelling resistor modules, it throws an error almost every time i turn off the fogs. Not really a big deal, just a little annoying. Without the cancelers it would throw the warning intermittently as I was driving, so I would not even use them.

Last edited by jonUF02; 09-24-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Did it happen before or after you reached 270lbs?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 AM

CLK230 W208
Yes u can buy a cancellor.. I tried it once and kept on blowing up my fuses and i gave up...

As far as the BAS/ASR/ESP, did u disconnect the battery or something?
have u change the sensor under the brake pedals or the voltage regulator?
I think you are referring to CANBUS right? All of my Interior lights are CANBUS LED as well as the Xenon bulb (as i said it was working error free for couple of months).

BAS/ASR/ESP thing ... I didnt disconnect battery and brake switch replaced. What is voltage regulator and how do I check them? not sure if you mean Alternator?

I also suspect Wheel Speed Ring but not sure how to check them..
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 AM

CLK230 W208
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Are you talking about incandescent "xenon" colored bulb, or true HID system?

I have the original HID system mounted in aftermarket Halo lights, and it works fine.

I also have an aftermarket HID system for the fogs, and even with the cancelling resistor modules, it throws an error almost every time i turn off the fogs. Not really a big deal, just a little annoying. Without the cancelers it would throw the warning intermittently as I was driving, so I would not even use them.
I agree, its not big deal other than annoying but still its embarrassing driving with so many errors on dashboard around (I now have 4 errors with BAS/ESP/ABS and Check bulb)

My Xenon is true 6K (white) HID system not halogen bulb..I will try to switch back to standard halogen on my next visit to garage.

I am not sure yet but I might notice that one of my xenon is not as bright as the other one yesterday, could it on its way out or the reason error reported when switched off?

Is your fog lights are equally bright?
Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 AM

2001 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I put after market Spyder black halos in the front, and LED's in the back of my 2001 cab.....plug and play, no warning light issues. The fog lights are the ones on the trunk lid and when you turn on your fogs the cars built for North America light up on the left side and Euros light up on the right. Mine still works fine and I went one step further......the trunk lid lights serve no purpose unless your fogs are on, so I had them wired into my brake light circuit. They still work in "foglight mode", but I now have five brakelights across the back.....inners, outers, and the upper center light.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you are referring to CANBUS right? All of my Interior lights are CANBUS LED as well as the Xenon bulb (as i said it was working error free for couple of months).

BAS/ASR/ESP thing ... I didnt disconnect battery and brake switch replaced. What is voltage regulator and how do I check them? not sure if you mean Alternator?

I also suspect Wheel Speed Ring but not sure how to check them..
Sorry, I just noticed your reply..
No no, the canbus is for light inside and outside of the car.
U said that u were having an issue once u switch off your headlight, The cancellors goes between the bulb and the ballast if u have an after market HId and Ballast.
as far as the voltage regulator:
http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedesv...torinstall.htm