CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seat Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Issues

I just purchased a 2000 clk430 and have a few issues with the seats, The control on the door does not move either seat forward or back. The seat back function only moves the seat forward no matter which way i move the switch. All the fusses are good and look original. Any idea's I am stumped.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

CLK430
Originally Posted by redwagon
The control on the door does not move either seat forward or back.
This could be a motor or seat controller, both found under the seat OR it could be related to the below:

Originally Posted by redwagon
The seat back function only moves the seat forward no matter which way i move the switch.
This is due to bad soldering on the seat switch mounted on the door. either re-solder the connections on the board or change the seat switch.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
When you say you checked the fuses....those in the trunk?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Another thing to try is tapping the buttons.! Over time the switches can build up dirt inside. I have the issue with my seat back only going one way sometimes despite the button direction. I get it to work by tapping with my finger around the botton switch on the door and then keep trying until the seat behaves again.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM

CLK430
Originally Posted by A1EK
Another thing to try is tapping the buttons.! Over time the switches can build up dirt inside. I have the issue with my seat back only going one way sometimes despite the button direction. I get it to work by tapping with my finger around the botton switch on the door and then keep trying until the seat behaves again.
This works, but for me it only works for a few days, and then the seat goes back into its normal routine. Press it forward, it goes forward, pressing it back, it still goes forward. Same with the recline, they all *want* to go forward.

Strange in that all the issues have the seats wanting to go forward. Haven't seen anyone with the issue where it always wants to go backwards instead!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by zenderfall
This works, but for me it only works for a few days, and then the seat goes back into its normal routine. Press it forward, it goes forward, pressing it back, it still goes forward. Same with the recline, they all *want* to go forward.

Strange in that all the issues have the seats wanting to go forward. Haven't seen anyone with the issue where it always wants to go backwards instead!
Now I think of it , yes it does always want to go forward.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 AM

CLK430
tall people will be cramped, but can still drive.

I suppose if the failsafe default is to go backward, midgets wouldn't be able to drive the car.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Not sure but I'd guess many have had that annoying misbehaving switch problem. For me, I've found using one of the memory buttons when the switch has acted up will put things back in order. I just press the memory button till it finishes it's cycle, then the buttons return to acting normal. It's a quirky fix but seems to work for me every time.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:18 PM

CLK430
I finally got around to ordering a new switch from AutoHausAZ. The box it came in was marked *made in Czech Republic*.

Not too sure if quality electronics come from that part of the world.

Anyway, the installation was less than 5 mins. Simply take a small flathead screwdriver and pry out the old switch. Unplug the old switch and plug in the new one. Now works 100% like new. No adjustments needed.

I took some pictures of the inside of the old switch to see if anyone can find the offending parts. The only thing I noticed was rusty pins and some weird white stuff on the backside of the board. Anyone see anything else?
Attached Thumbnails Seat Issues-fullsizerender2.jpg   Seat Issues-fullsizerender.jpg   Seat Issues-fullsizerender3.jpg