CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

722.6 ATF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I don't understand the idea of agreeing to disagree about fluids. These are not opinions on which to disagree. How does one disagree with simple fact?

The 722.6 was used for many years and continued to be put into some cars many years into the use of the 722.9. Since Mercedes was still manufacturing both transmissions and huge numbers are still in warranty all over the world, surely you can comprehend that the 236.14 fluid was required to work in both units without problem, right? No one is that dense.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by mis3
Last transmission service I did by the dealership, they also changed the following items on top of the ATF and filter:
140-271-00-80 Oil pan gasket
140-271-00-60 Seal ring
140-991-00-55 Pin

Since probably an indie will do this job, I will monitor the whole process. Should thes parts be changed at the first partial plush? The 2nd partial flush?
Pan gasket only at first change. Plug washer & break pin on the fill tube should be replaced both times. Break pin if you do back to back only really requires replacement once you are finished change 2.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I've been watching this thread for a while now and I think it's time that the voice of reason make itself heard.

I have a highly modified car, supercharged and tracked, I think that I'm an excellent source of information regarding not only building a car, but also maintaining it. Most 209 MBWorld members would agree with that statement based on the PM's and emails I get On a regular basis asking for advise.

So let me cut right to the chase here, when it comes to high performance automobiles the Germans don't know F-all compared to the Italians, like it or not, it's a fact jack. So, why are you guys pissing, moaning and acting like a bunch of biatches discussing different types of trans oils and not one of you have mentioned an Italian brand?

I use the same, yes read that again, the SAME oil in my trans AND engine and believe that I am doing the best possible thing for my car by doing so. I mean come on, if it's Italian it's gotta be good right?

722.6 ATF-c27de13a.jpg

Can we please for the love of all our different Gods close this thread now? Y'all got nothing on this!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Pan gasket only at first change. Plug washer & break pin on the fill tube should be replaced both times. Break pin if you do back to back only really requires replacement once you are finished change 2.
By plug washer, did you mean the seal ring, 140-271-00-60?
By break pin, did you mean the pin, 140-991-00-55?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevwood
I've been watching this thread for a while now and I think it's time that the voice of reason make itself heard.

I have a highly modified car, supercharged and tracked, I think that I'm an excellent source of information regarding not only building a car, but also maintaining it. Most 209 MBWorld members would agree with that statement based on the PM's and emails I get On a regular basis asking for advise.

So let me cut right to the chase here, when it comes to high performance automobiles the Germans don't know F-all compared to the Italians, like it or not, it's a fact jack. So, why are you guys pissing, moaning and acting like a bunch of biatches discussing different types of trans oils and not one of you have mentioned an Italian brand?

I use the same, yes read that again, the SAME oil in my trans AND engine and believe that I am doing the best possible thing for my car by doing so. I mean come on, if it's Italian it's gotta be good right?

Can we please for the love of all our different Gods close this thread now? Y'all got nothing on this!
Ha! Kev you should try the good Italian stuff. That would goo things up nicely LOL.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Ha! Kev you should try the good Italian stuff. That would goo things up nicely LOL.
My God you're right! I've been using Tunisian oil!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Kevwood

I recommend using the ‘extra virgin’ formula. :D
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
I recommend using the ‘extra virgin’ formula.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Please close this thread as it's also killing me.

No one is that dense not recognizing the real fact: owners of older 722.6 tranny have trouble using 236.14 or mixing it with 236.10 fluid.

Dense, mentally challenged, don't know what you're talking about etc... - how original? Sound like my grade school kids fighting.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JeffreyP
No one is that dense not recognizing the real fact: owners of older 722.6 tranny have trouble using 236.14 or mixing it with 236.10 fluid.
This is not real fact. This is anecdote. A small sample size of owners of the 722.6 have had trouble with their transmissions. This is anecdote.

Fact: Mercedes tested and subsequently approved 236.14 fluid for use in both transmissions they produce and use in their vehicles.

See the difference?

I'll agree with one thing: Glyn you should clean up this thread so people get the right information then close it so it can't be muddled.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM

There again, you're stating the obvious. Let's look at it another way.

Say Lexus, who most (and I) believe is a better built car than MB for the past 2 decades. Did they force their customer to buy their overinflated ATF brand fluid for $20 each? No, you can use $4.00/quart ATF that meet their spec and change it at 3 times LESS frequent than MB. For your information, Lexus tranny and everything else is much more reliable and much longer lasting.

So, what's the argument here: Because with much more research MB tranny is so much better, that shift much better, that provide much more comfort, that transfer much more power - it's being built with clutchpack material from the moon, so it needs specific MB fluid and much frequent AT fluid change interval?

For the millions of MB's, if everyone spend an extra $210 ($15 per bottle, 14 bottle per flush), then it's a lot of chunk change into MB's pocket and theirs. Say 10 millions MB's on the road, that's an EXTRA $2.1 billions every 3 years 40,000 miles. And that's not counting 40000 miles vs 100000 miles interval, that'd make an EXTRA $5.6 billions (2.8 + 2.8 the other 2 times) every 120,000 miles. That'd provide much better retirement package for MB's employees.

Don't get stuck in a box, see outside of it for a change.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sigh..

The 236.14 fluid can be obtained easily at ~$5 per quart from Ryder Fleet Management. Yes, it's all one big conspiracy. It's fine if you want to use baby oil in your transmission - no one cares.

Just don't try selling that to people who come here who actually care about the longevity of their cars and want to do the maintenance right. Mercedes approves a fluid, they do not create the fluid and become the exclusive supplier. You have a choice of fluids meeting the specs, you have a choice of suppliers, etc.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Gee,

So you didn't read anything I said, other than looking at the price of the Shell fluid?

I also said I knew that price is $5.++. Do you know that Shell had all that fluid on clearance about $2.00 a quart earlier? Ryder bought most of it and now is selling it at $5.++. Did you know the fluid price at one point was very closed to the rest of the MB approved fluid?

Get enough for yourself because they will run out soon, then you have no other choice but using overinflated MB approved fluid.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

OK enough nonesense or I will lock this thread.

Thusfar the bad advice from Jeffrey.

The drain interval is too short - He knows better than Benz & all their testing.

Don’t use an approved & now mandated product - He knows better than Benz & the oil industry.

Use an obsolete & unobtainable product - He knows better ---.

Don’t mix two products designed to be miscible & fungible - He knows better than Benz & the oil industry.

Use a non approved product - He knows better ---.

Ignore the MB WIS - He knows better than the designers - Benz.

Do a kitchen table cook & stir – It’s better than the Benz & oilco research facilities in determining miscibility. He knows better ----.

To intelligent members who wish to maintain their Mercedes Benz vehicles properly. Please listen to Mercedes Benz & you will enjoy long & reliable service from your car. Fortunately in most parts of the world the cars are sold with the Mobilodrive Plan & Benz will be doing all of this for you on their dime. (of course it's built into the price of the car but nevertheless will be done on time with the correct service products)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Why are other Canadian dealers getting it correct as in lars post? I would bypass the SA & only talk to the Service Manager. He is supposed to be the most technically competent person in any MB dealership.
Glyn, I have to disagree there. "A reasonable person" would expect the service manager to be the most technically competent person in the dealership, but in reality, he is not. He is the top revenue-generating technical person in the dealership. Often, SM's are the result of the infamous Peter Principal. It's unfortunate, but true. Another disturbing trend is that SM's are often part owners in the dealership, making it much more difficult to get rid of a bad one. About the only way to get rid of these guys is if MBZ has to step in due to consistently poor customer surveys.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM

No, Jeffrey did NOT say he knows better than anyone, that's what you said. Jeffrey just have enough common sense to see things from different angles but of course in your book it's bad advise or nonsense.

Perhaps as moderator you should ban Jeffrey since he dare to not look at things the way the super one lay out for everyone to follow.

Now, that's nonsense.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Glyn, I have to disagree there. "A reasonable person" would expect the service manager to be the most technically competent person in the dealership, but in reality, he is not. He is the top revenue-generating technical person in the dealership. Often, SM's are the result of the infamous Peter Principal. It's unfortunate, but true. Another disturbing trend is that SM's are often part owners in the dealership, making it much more difficult to get rid of a bad one. About the only way to get rid of these guys is if MBZ has to step in due to consistently poor customer surveys.
Thanks Rodney & I value your input. In getting up to date on the CLK, having just bought one, I note your excellent input to this forum in my readings. While I lived in the US as an expat for a long while I did not drive a Benz while doing so. The company hired us cars of choice.

My main experience of Benz Service Managers has been Europe, Africa, ME & Asia Pacific with minor engagement in Brazil due to my global job. In most cases I have found them to be outstanding & the technical go-to person for the techs. At the same time in most cases Benz has been behind their engagement/appointment.

To sample a few that come to mind, Sandown Motor Group SA (owned by Benz), Cycle & Carriage Malaysia & Singapore, MB Vietnam, Mercedes Benz Shanghai & any Benz agency in Germany, the calibre of SM is excellent & hugely technically knowledgeable.

Witnessing the difficulty displayed by dealerships in diagnosis on this board gives credence to your comments regarding NA.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, all my experience is with the USA franchised dealership business model. I am sure there are many differences in non-USA and corporate-owned dealerships. The irony is that MBZ knows that service is the lowest-rated interface they have with their customers, yet they do very little about it because it doesn't really affect the bottom line. Until customers stop buying MBZ's because of poor service, nothing will change. Not that I'm suggesting that to anyone, but it's the basic fundamental of a free market system.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Precisely - Sales sells the first unit to a client & service influences all further sales.

Benz has woken up to the fact that rotten after sales service in the UK is/was costing them sales. I'm told progress is being made.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Unrelated to the ATF, I have questions on the 13-pin connector. I read the following:

The majority of leaks come from the 13 Pin Electrical connector and the shifter mechanism bellow. The 13-Pin connector can leak either internally or externally. In some, the leak will even wick up the harness to the ETC (Electronic Control Module) causing the Module to short out as well. Mercedes has an updated connector now available for this condition.

Since I will be doing the partial flush twice and since my car is high-mileage, should I change this connector as well? Or if it is working, don't touch it?

What is the part number? Is it easy to change?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

See this thread for all detail on parts number for electrohydraulic bush & links for installuniversity to replace it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...sues-help.html

Changes since then. It is now a $12 part & no longer $8.
We have realised that speed sensor codes almost always mean a failing conductor plate.

If there is no sign of a leak I think I would leave it alone. You need to check under the car and under the passenger side kick plate for oil wicking up the harness. I have put pics of all in the linked thread.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I did the pan flush this afternoon, together with an oil change. This was the first time I went to an indie so I watched everything.

ATF change:
The tech removed the 2 bottom panels. We noticed that there was oil in the pan panel. We checked and we found that one of the pan screws was wet with ATF. He tried to remove the pan drain plug and he failed because it was very tight. He then unscrewed the 6 pan screws half way. The ATF started to sip out. After a while, he removed the whole pan. He let the ATF continued to drip and went on cleaning the pan with a spray, he cleaned all the pan screws as well. He changed the filter, replaced the gasket and put back the pan. He then poured in the ATF. He let the engine run for about 15 minutes (temp went over 80c) and measured the level with the dipstick. He had to add more ATF and all together he put in a bit less than 4 liters.

Oil Change:
He did the oil change from the bottom drain hole. He first loosened the oil filter and removed the drain plug. Let the oil out and put in the drain plug back in with a new washer. He then changed the oil filter and the seal rings (3), then poured in the new oil (Mobil 1 0w40). He first put in 7 liters and used the dipstick to check the level All seemed OK and he closed up everything. I checked with the instrumental display and it said I should put in 1 liter of oil. He put in 0.5 liter and now the display said it was OK . So, altogether he put in 7.5 L.
When i got home, I waited 20 minutes and checked the oil level again. The instrumental display said OK. I went to dyno mode and the oil level started at 7.0 L and went to 5-6 while the engine was running. I am concerned because it used to show 7.9L in dyno mode at start up. I will check again tomorrow, I may have to add another 0.5 L.

Last edited by mis3; 02-14-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Great - how does she drive? What did the tranny fluid that you drained look like? Did you break open the transmission filter & inspect? As you can see from just draining the pan half of the old fluid has remained.

Any further top up of engine oil should be done very carefully or you will keep getting an over level message & have to suck some out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 722.6 ATF