CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Still trying to figure it out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition, 2004 CLK 500, 2004 Honda Civic
Originally Posted by MacVidMB-V8
You are right, I'm sorry.

Let me try to help you with your "concerns".

I just watched "CSI" followed by an old "Columbo" episode so let's see if I can apply some detective skills & forensics to your "concerns".

I will just concentrate on the fact that your interior appears to be trashed. As far as why you can't tell a 2002 from a 2007, I can't begin to guess, perhaps time to see the optician again? Why are the Xenons an "option"? Because they didn't want to make everyone buy them, hence the phrase "option". Just a guess.

Anyhow, back to that dingy interior. I decided to highlight 4 separate areas because I think they are valuable forensic evidence.

1. I noticed what appears to be a Taco Bell wrapper carelessly tossed on the floor. I realize that Spray Tanning is a time consuming, artistic process but she REALLY should find time for a better diet. The color on the seat appears to be a mix of Spray-A-Tan "Tropical Bronze Suprize" with some Cheetos "Extra Spicy" dust liberally added in.

2. A CANDY wrapper stuffed down the side of the seat. Hmm...am I seeing a trend here?

3. What appears to be a box of prescription DIET PILLS down by the seat belt buckle. Hmm....are we perhaps concerned that our "Trophy" is becoming more of a "Monument"?

4. What appears to be BAGS OF TRASH in the back seat.

So, from your own photographic evidence we have someone driving around, stuffing themselves with junk food, tossing wrappers wherever they may land, and storing actual GARBAGE in the car.

5. Looking closely at the seat texture it looks like the top is left down for days on end, leaving the sun to BAKE that poor leather. So, smart enough to protect her OWN skin from the sun but car leather is left to bake. Hmmm.....

With all that junk & food wrappers lying around, i wouldn't be surprised if you have roaches. Better check, they'll eat your wiring. Voracious eaters those Eastern Wire Roaches.

So it would appear that the interior has been treated like a dump and/or landfill. Hence it looking like one. Any other "concerns" I can help with?

Whew...I don't get involved but I'm sorry but he got your ***...take some of that oil to cool that burn...

Angelo
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by MacVidMB-V8
You are right, I'm sorry.

Let me try to help you with your "concerns".

I just watched "CSI" followed by an old "Columbo" episode so let's see if I can apply some detective skills & forensics to your "concerns".

I will just concentrate on the fact that your interior appears to be trashed. As far as why you can't tell a 2002 from a 2007, I can't begin to guess, perhaps time to see the optician again? Why are the Xenons an "option"? Because they didn't want to make everyone buy them, hence the phrase "option". Just a guess.

Anyhow, back to that dingy interior. I decided to highlight 4 separate areas because I think they are valuable forensic evidence.

1. I noticed what appears to be a Taco Bell wrapper carelessly tossed on the floor. I realize that Spray Tanning is a time consuming, artistic process but she REALLY should find time for a better diet. The color on the seat appears to be a mix of Spray-A-Tan "Tropical Bronze Suprize" with some Cheetos "Extra Spicy" dust liberally added in.

2. A CANDY wrapper stuffed down the side of the seat. Hmm...am I seeing a trend here?

3. What appears to be a box of prescription DIET PILLS down by the seat belt buckle. Hmm....are we perhaps concerned that our "Trophy" is becoming more of a "Monument"?

4. What appears to be BAGS OF TRASH in the back seat.

So, from your own photographic evidence we have someone driving around, stuffing themselves with junk food, tossing wrappers wherever they may land, and storing actual GARBAGE in the car.

5. Looking closely at the seat texture it looks like the top is left down for days on end, leaving the sun to BAKE that poor leather. So, smart enough to protect her OWN skin from the sun but car leather is left to bake. Hmmm.....

With all that junk & food wrappers lying around, i wouldn't be surprised if you have roaches. Better check, they'll eat your wiring. Voracious eaters those Eastern Wire Roaches.

So it would appear that the interior has been treated like a dump and/or landfill. Hence it looking like one. Any other "concerns" I can help with?
+1 well said ~ he might have been able to recognise the leather by smell if he is too ignorant to recognise the double stitching & texture but I guess the car smells like a sewer inside.

In markets like SA where the car costs over USD 100K you get all the bells & whistles standard. But in the US where they trim parts to lower sticker price you get what you pay for. Too bad Mr cheap did not specify them. US Benz pricing is the lowest in the world after Saudi Arabia. But they get trimmed down a little to achieve this. Pure economics.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Come on Glyn, calling him Mr. Cheap is way out of line, remember, he's "wealthy" because he has a "garage"...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

"Trophy" wife catching a little sun.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM

2014 911S & 2013 E92 M3 CP
Friends,

To say that I am disappointed in the direction that this thread has gone would be a gross understatement. My apologies if I didn't buy into this whole "CLK as a race car" performance myth that seems to be perpetuated here. I call it how I see it, and the CLK is nothing more than a status symbol designed to be driven slowly by twenty something women as a means of asserting ones place in a certain tier of society. Might I suggest that all you racers slow it down and take a look at who is actually driving these cars.

I would like to individually address a few issues that have arisen in this thread as well as thank a few useful posters.

1. Thank you to whoever answered my question regarding the material that the seats are made of. I will discontinue the use of Fantastik and will use the cleaner/conditioner I use on the fine merino dash of my M6.

2. To the poster that claims that mbz did a study of the demographic that buys the CLK and found that Xenons should be an option; I don't buy it. Even a damn Camry came standard with Xenons! The way I see it Mercedes cut a few corners in order to package a nice cabriolet with the lovely badges needed to look good pulling up to the country club.

3. My wife is extremely large. 5'7" and a whopping 120 pounds. Gotta get her off that taco bell.

4. I never claimed that my wife's CLK was well maintained. Its not; it's a heap of trash. She could care less. All she wanted was "a white merceds convertible". She is an absolutely terrible driver. That thing has been through terrains so rough a F250 could get stuck. Just last week she backed into a brick wall and broke out a tail light. The week before she was pumping gas and some tramp without insurance slammed into the side of her car. She doesn't care; it still has that lovely three pointed star.

Look guys, last I checked this was an open discussion forum. All of our wives drive the same cars. We're just here to discuss them. I have simply posted a few reactions after owning the CLK for a bit over a year. I am somewhat shocked at the way people are acting here; don't think this would happen on a bmw board.

Last edited by C-A-T-S; 10-15-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM

2004 CLK 500
I think it was the tone you came off with about having a trophy wife and being rich and saying the MB was a piece of crap etc. etc. If you would have asked just a few simple questions you would have got your answers. That being said, good luck with your next car you buy the wife. I also think that mostly men drive the CLK. If they are women 90% of them drive white ones. Please if you are a guy driving a white one I mean nothing by it. My wife actually wanted a white one with the light interior. Since I drive the car 95% of the time I bought silver with a black interior. But in all honesty I did get a chuckle out of these posts!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM

CLK550
Go back to your BMW forum then. Your only here to get a negative reaction so your lucky some of us are in the mood. Go buy your wife a 325 and put some m3 badges on it. Maybe get some friends so you don't have to sit around get drunk and stare at your wife's car in your garage. If you were really ballin like you think you would have better than a 2 car garage that looks like a POS.

You come onto a specific car's forum and disrespect the car, what reaction do you really expect?

If your wife was really a trophy wife she should be 5'9" and up, shouldn't be eating Taco Bell, shouldn't be on diet pills, and shouldn't be wearing enough spray tan that it comes off all over the seats. I'm willing to bet you probably just bought that m6 (probably just a 6 series) used so your not the boss you think you are.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

There is a fine bunch of people here on the W209 forum that all get along well and help one another.

You come here with an attitude & behave like a jerk ~ then you expect sympathy. It's not going to happen!

Suggest you take a powerful detergent/surfactant to those seats without over wetting the leather. Then feed with multiple applications of Maguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner CREAM.

Might be an idea to disinfect the car while you are about it.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
This is my favorite thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Gentlemen,

I spent the day browsing old threads an an attempt to cross section the demographic to the typical CLK owner. What I have found is of little surprise and may explain why I have been berated with such hatred.

It seems that there are two main groups that purchased the CLK class Mercedes. Group A, made up of myself and a few others, bought the right car for the right reasons. Our wives simply wanted a white mercedes convertible with four seats to carry our jealous friends. Our "must have options" were the clk550 badging, the silky power folding cabriolet top, and the primitive navigation unit (if for no other reason because without it the interior looks identical to the 1995 CLK).

Group B seems to be the majority here. Group B bought the wrong car for the wrong reasons and as such have a misguided vengeance towards group A that should most certainly be directed towards Mercedes Benz. Mercedes developed a savvy marketing campaign in order to capitalize on sales of a 15 year old body style by exploiting the dreams of Joey Racer. The formula; drop a massive V8 coupled with a few aggressive bolt ons and "over the top" AMG badging into what is essentially a 1995 design. It's not my fault you guys bought into the hype, but please, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

There also seems to be a "cult like" pack I will call group C. Group C seems to enjoy lurking in the shadows, hissing like serpents, spewing venom and hatred on anyone who does not share their same love of the CLK. The only car I have spoken about is my own. A car that my wife and I pay for. A car that has been ours for well over a year. Maybe my points have been a bit critical, but as much as I have been tempted I have said nothing of some of the pictures I have seen showcased by other members in this thread.

I can see that most likely I will not be getting any valid answers to my questions. Thank god I'm not stranded on the side of the road in desperate need of help. I will be satisfied with my forum experience if the gracious members will answer one simple question that has been very much bothering me:

What was Mercedes thinking when they slapped this primitive Command system in the CLK? Mercedes navigation unit makes a compas, telescope, hand drawn map, and candle seem like desirable means of navigating. This navigation unit would have looked dated on the Santa Maria. What is up with that?

TIA.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Show me a single road test from a reputable Auto magazine internationally that does not praise the 2003 to 2009 CLK. Even those done at the end of it's life cycle.

We'll treat the rest of your drivel with the utter contempt it deserves.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Originally Posted by C-A-T-S
Gentlemen,

I spent the day browsing old threads an an attempt to cross section the demographic to the typical CLK owner. What I have found is of little surprise and may explain why I have been berated with such hatred.

It seems that there are two main groups that purchased the CLK class Mercedes. Group A, made up of myself and a few others, bought the right car for the right reasons. Our wives simply wanted a white mercedes convertible with four seats to carry our jealous friends. Our "must have options" were the clk550 badging, the silky power folding cabriolet top, and the primitive navigation unit (if for no other reason because without it the interior looks identical to the 1995 CLK).

Group B seems to be the majority here. Group B bought the wrong car for the wrong reasons and as such have a misguided vengeance towards group A that should most certainly be directed towards Mercedes Benz. Mercedes developed a savvy marketing campaign in order to capitalize on sales of a 15 year old body style by exploiting the dreams of Joey Racer. The formula; drop a massive V8 coupled with a few aggressive bolt ons and "over the top" AMG badging into what is essentially a 1995 design. It's not my fault you guys bought into the hype, but please, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

There also seems to be a "cult like" pack I will call group C. Group C seems to enjoy lurking in the shadows, hissing like serpents, spewing venom and hatred on anyone who does not share their same love of the CLK. The only car I have spoken about is my own. A car that my wife and I pay for. A car that has been ours for well over a year. Maybe my points have been a bit critical, but as much as I have been tempted I have said nothing of some of the pictures I have seen showcased by other members in this thread.

I can see that most likely I will not be getting any valid answers to my questions. Thank god I'm not stranded on the side of the road in desperate need of help. I will be satisfied with my forum experience if the gracious members will answer one simple question that has been very much bothering me:

What was Mercedes thinking when they slapped this primitive Command system in the CLK? Mercedes navigation unit makes a compas, telescope, hand drawn map, and candle seem like desirable means of navigating. This navigation unit would have looked dated on the Santa Maria. What is up with that?

TIA.
ok
Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

Show me a single road test from a reputable Auto magazine internationally that does not praise the 2003 to 2009 CLK. Even those done at the end of it's life cycle.

We'll treat the rest of your drivel with the utter contempt it deserves.
Ditto!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Gentlemen,

TIA.

I think you need to get laid!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
OMG! I am laughing so hard I am hacking up a lung! Just to make a few points...

@ C-A-T-S:

1. Camrys do not come standard with HID headlights. They do come with projector headlights that sometimes at the right angle sort of do look like HIDs, but unless you add the option, they don't come standard that way. In fact, up until a few years ago, most BMWs also did not come standard with HID headlights. Just as the high-end AMGs did, the high-end M's did, but the non-specialized models required it as an option. There are several reasons, including cost, that this was done. Personally, I hate it and wish all cars would just switch to these superior lights. If yours didn't come that way, it's fairly easy and (for a wealthy man) inexpensive to upgrade.

2. The leather in your wife's car is of the highest grade, much better than anything BMW uses. The damage you see is due to the care (or lack thereof) it has received. If you are going to trade the CLK for a BMW, and she is going to continue to use spray tan, I strongly recommend getting a darker color leather that closely matches the tanning tint she uses. Better yet, buy the girl a swimming pool where she can get a real tan.

3. Everyone knows the CLK is not a "sports" car - it's a "touring" car. If I wanted to bruise my kidneys and keep my chiropractor in a new BMW every year, I'd buy a BMW.

4. While others have failed to see it, I appreciate your humor.

@ Glynn:

1. That's the last time I am sending you photos of my wife, no matter how much you offer to pay me.

2. Please don't lock this thread - it's just too much fun, and so far, no one is being harmed (well, except for the cows who gave their lives to carry around Mrs. C-A-T-S' spray-tan-stained butt in her CLK)

3. There's no sense in extolling the virtues of a Mercedes-Benz to a BMW guy. It's like Ford vs. Chevy or Mac vs. PC or boxers vs. briefs. Oh, wait, what about boxer-briefs? Hmm...

@Clkboi:

1. Really? This is your favorite thread? I think it's only because of the photos.

2. C-A-T-S probably gets laid every day - he's wealthy and he bought his trophy wife a MBZ.

:p
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
hahaha

I dare him to show us his wife...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudeney

Please don't lock this thread - it's just too much fun, and so far, no one is being harmed (well, except for the cows who gave their lives to carry around Mrs. C-A-T-S' spray-tan-stained butt in her CLK)
Rodney
I won't be locking this thread. As you say harmless. I like having some fun with BMW trolls. Can't understand why he did not buy the trophy a white BMW cab & some oven cleaner. Oh! ~ and those nice hard run flat tyres & no spare. About as much good as **** on a bull.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-included.html

Asked for help and troubleshooting. Shame it was provide. Douche

Last edited by Mka77; 10-16-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney

@ C-A-T-S:

1. Camrys do not come standard with HID headlights. They do come with projector headlights that sometimes at the right angle sort of do look like HIDs, but unless you add the option, they don't come standard that way. In fact, up until a few years ago, most BMWs also did not come standard with HID headlights. Just as the high-end AMGs did, the high-end M's did, but the non-specialized models required it as an option. There are several reasons, including cost, that this was done. Personally, I hate it and wish all cars would just switch to these superior lights. If yours didn't come that way, it's fairly easy and (for a wealthy man) inexpensive to upgrade.

2. The leather in your wife's car is of the highest grade, much better than anything BMW uses. The damage you see is due to the care (or lack thereof) it has received. If you are going to trade the CLK for a BMW, and she is going to continue to use spray tan, I strongly recommend getting a darker color leather that closely matches the tanning tint she uses. Better yet, buy the girl a swimming pool where she can get a real tan.

3. Everyone knows the CLK is not a "sports" car - it's a "touring" car. If I wanted to bruise my kidneys and keep my chiropractor in a new BMW every year, I'd buy a BMW.

4. While others have failed to see it, I appreciate your humor.

@ Glynn:

1. That's the last time I am sending you photos of my wife, no matter how much you offer to pay me.

2. Please don't lock this thread - it's just too much fun, and so far, no one is being harmed (well, except for the cows who gave their lives to carry around Mrs. C-A-T-S' spray-tan-stained butt in her CLK)

3. There's no sense in extolling the virtues of a Mercedes-Benz to a BMW guy. It's like Ford vs. Chevy or Mac vs. PC or boxers vs. briefs. Oh, wait, what about boxer-briefs? Hmm...

@Clkboi:

1. Really? This is your favorite thread? I think it's only because of the photos.

2. C-A-T-S probably gets laid every day - he's wealthy and he bought his trophy wife a MBZ.

:p
Rodney,

Thank you for your helpful response. While I am a bit exasperated from the amount of work it takes to get one useful response on this forum I am certainly happy that it has finally come, and from a Group A'er to boot.

Thank you for explaining to me the difference between the Camry's headlamps and Mercedes, however we, as Mercedes owners, live in a world where perception is reality. So, regardless if the headlamps are true HId's or not, they appear to be, and therefore they are. Trust me, it's not a good look when my trophy pulls up for her weekly spray tan and the cashiers Camry appears to have more advanced headlamps than my Trophy Grade wife's status laden cabriolet.

As far as the leather; that very well may be my fault. We bought the car with one owner from and older couple and it was very, very well maintained and serviced. Having grown accustomed to BMW's fine Nappa and Merino hides over the years I simply assumed that the fabric covering the inside of the CLK was some sort of cheap vinyl or plastic as it was obviously of a lower grade than what I was accustomed to. For the last year I have had my man servant cleaning the seats bi-monthly with general household degreasers, and I believe once bleach. This would most likely account for the fact that the seats have nearly fallen apart.

Thank you for pointing out that the CLK is not a sports car in either the status laden V8 cabriolet or pedestrian coupe guise. However, judging by a few members signatures and aggressive, juvenile choices in mods I am inclined to say that you are preaching to the choir.

Once again thank you for the response. I hope your wife is enjoying her CLK550 cabriolet.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mka77
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-included.html

Asked for help and troubleshooting. Shame it was provide. Douche
Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to examine my previous posts on this forum. Not sure how you found that, but hats off to you. If you dig a little deeper you may even find a few posts claiming I am happy with the car. Truth be told I was; Mercedes had me fooled much like many others here on this very forum. Sunday I saw the light. Just trying to find out if anyone else has had these same opinions.

I see that you traded your wife's CLK in for a Cadillac. While I could never possibly be seen in a Cadillac as I can't get over the "papaws last fling before the nursing home" stereotype, I commend you for taking the leap and not worrying about what others think. Furthermore I would like to congratulate Cadillac. They have done a good job emulating Acura in the quest to make the "worst looking car possible".

I hope your wife is enjoying her Cadillac.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM

2009 ML350
Rodney,

Thank you for your helpful response. While I am a bit exasperated from the amount of work it takes to....
I would wager it would be more work to train your trophy wife to take care of her car and check her tires (see the lugnut post) before setting out.

Oh and figuring out the tools on this forum is very simple. How are you confused at someone looking up your past activity on a forum??

however we, as Mercedes owners, live in a world where perception is reality. So, regardless if the headlamps are true HId's or not, they appear to be, and therefore they are.....
Holy ****, you are a moron.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chrono12

Holy ****, you are a moron.
A mental paraplegic

Much of both Benz & BMW's hide comes from South Africa. I can assure you the product selected by Benz is superior. Probably does not realise that Merino is sheep hide.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM

08 CLK 350 sport, 11 BMW 328i, 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 06 Suzuki DRZ400SM
I have both cars, CLK and 328i. My Benz "had" less electronics but that was the only superior thing about the BMW. Not anymore and my leather seats are more plush.. Oh and I'm the trophy husband😝.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
At least we get a picture of your "trophy wife".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Still trying to figure it out