CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Still trying to figure it out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 911S & 2013 E92 M3 CP
Still trying to figure it out

ok, so my trophy wife has had her lovely "sports" car for a bit over a year and 20,000 miles. I will say this; the damn thing has been bullet proof. Completely problem and maintenance free.

Anyway, today I was washing it and some dirty Mercedes water splashed onto my M6. Rather than wipe it off I took a seat and grabbed a beer in my garage (an inclosed area where a wealthy man stores his cars).

I began to look at the CLK550 and I though, "What the ****, Mercedes????"

Have to get P2 for Xenons? Should have got a Camry.

Rotten vinyl seats? Should have got a corolla.

Christopher columbus navigation? Should have walked.
(no picture needed.)
Then I sat back and looked at the exterior.

Cheap tail lights? Check!

Very aggressive bolt ons with a soft, very dated body? Check.

Ricer chrome glued "every where possible"? Double check.

Needless to say I am begging my sexy bride to sell this thing. I am interested to hear if any of my other CLK brothers have thought this. Currently shopping e92 335 M-sports.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Low spec unit bought. Shockingly maintained leather seats. No glued chrome. The body style goes back to 2003 remember!!! We still love it. Damn side better than Chris Bangle rubbish of that era.

Buy her a crappy, badly finished, troublesome BMW.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a properly spec'ed model.

Attached Thumbnails Still trying to figure it out-clk_2.jpg   Still trying to figure it out-940b08319521c6ecce42a887c99931d69a7a0073.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Low spec unit bought. Shockingly maintained leather seats. No glued chrome. The body style goes back to 2003 remember!!! We still love it. Damn side better than Chris Bangle rubbish of that era.

Buy her a crappy, badly finished, troublesome BMW.

Good luck!
Glen,

Thank your for your response. I will agree with you in regards to the body being "aged". Problem is; Mercedes cheaped out. The CLK has and always will be (in E class guise) a status symbol for sexy women). Problem is the "complete redesign" that "took place" in 2003 was merely a weak enhancement of what already was in 2002. Mercedes fell asleep on the "new" CLK. To the casual observer it looks like a '95.

Here is a properly spec'ed model.

Look brother, don't beat a dead horse, we know that the '95 CLK looks nearly identical to the '07. What navigation unit was that? Please tell me it's not the "I look like a touch screen but I will break your fingers until you learn to touch the fisher price buttons that surround me" unit.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

You bought a low rent cheap Merc & you got one. The 2003 to 2009 CLK is a great & well sorted car. World sales were excellent. A real money maker for Benz. Just look at the Chris Bangle ugly & cheaply finished BMW's of the era. Even the carpeting was rubbish.

BMW's rate as one of the most troublesome cars on SA roads. Not one has got through local magazine testing in the last 10 years without something failing.

The Euro Nav unit is a Becker. USA Siemens. And BTW ~ no it's not touch screen. Benz reserched it at the time & typical Benz customers hate dirty, greasy fingerprints all over a cheap, capacitive TFT screen. Give me hard buttons anyday.

You suffering dysmenorrhea at the moment?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by C-A-T-S
To the casual observer it looks like a '95.
And severe myopia to say the least of being technically wrong as to platform which was heavily modified W203. Zero carry over from W208.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM

2004 CLK 500
wow I just bought a 2004 clk 500 with 68k miles and I can tell you the interior looks brand new compared to your neglected car. I also have Zenons thank you. I have owned a BMW and it was the best drivers car I have ever owned. But it was also the most troublesome car I have ever owned. I almost bought a 2006 M3 before I bought this car. But, after seeing them side by side I thought the Mercedes looked so much nicer. Plus the bad thought of my previous BMW. I'm not even going to get into the trophy wife comment... OK maybe one parting shot, you may have money but you are probably older and fat. lol
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM

You bought a low rent cheap Merc & you got one.
You hit the nail on the head, and I couldn't agree more. The CLK IS a low rent merc. It is THE car for the status seeking 20 something that wants to look good in the company parking lot.

Problem is mercedes cheaped out and rather than do a full redesign as they did on the new (hard on the eyes) "E" class they simply shaved down a few rough edges, flattened out a few lines, and developed a savvy marketing campaign that my trophy wife and many others bought into.

It's a great model; Lexus hit a home run with the SC430. Problem is this is the last time daddy's buying into it. Mark my words; mommas getting a bimmer.

The 2003 to 2009 CLK is a great & well sorted car. World sales were excellent. A real money maker for Benz. Just look at the Chris Bangle ugly & cheaply finished BMW's of the era. Even the carpeting was rubbish.

BMW's rate as one of the most troublesome cars on SA roads. Not one has got through local magazine testing in the last 10 years without something failing.

The Euro Nav unit is a Becker. USA Siemens. And BTW ~ no it's not touch screen. Benz reserched it at the time & typical Benz customers hate dirty, greasy fingerprints all over a cheap, capacitive TFT screen. Give me hard buttons anyday.

You suffering dysmenorrhea at the moment?
Once again I must admit we are on the same page. Glad I joined this forum; truly defies the demographic.

Truth be told the CLK is a car for Mrs. status. Does she give a crap about performance? Hell no; and thankfully Mercedes doesn't either.

Coming from a wealthy m6 driver I'll admit; the 5.5 V8 is an impressive package. Unfortunately that's about it.

I love my Mercedes, but I want to know why they cheeped out on a V8 convertible that started at $60,000.

It doesn't make sense.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gary C
wow I just bought a 2004 clk 500 with 68k miles and I can tell you the interior looks brand new compared to your neglected car. I also have Zenons thank you. I have owned a BMW and it was the best drivers car I have ever owned. But it was also the most troublesome car I have ever owned. I almost bought a 2006 M3 before I bought this car. But, after seeing them side by side I thought the Mercedes looked so much nicer. Plus the bad thought of my previous BMW. I'm not even going to get into the trophy wife comment... OK maybe one parting shot, you may have money but you are probably older and fat. lol
Ok, congrats on your 500. I'm not going to school you on why you should have bought an M3; you already know.

Enjoy your Xenons.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Sorry to say man but that CLK is neglected as hell. Your trophy wife has some bad driving skills...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM

2004 CLK 500
Thanks for not schooling me I just liked the looks of the CLK better. Plus I have never owned a Mercedes. Something different for me. I can see your points. My son wants a 135I and with a tune will have 400HP! He has 2 more years of college and when he gets out and gets a good job will probably trade the 2008 VW GTI I bought him on a BMW. Hey, I have a friend with more money than he knows what to do with, and can buy anything he wants. Just bought a new KIA Optima! Loaded with the turbo 4. I have to admit, it is a real nice car. It has air conditioned seats for crying out loud! So the point is to each his own. Oh, and we need pics of the trophy wife!....just kidding!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
You hit the nail on the head, and I couldn't agree more. The CLK IS a low rent merc. It is THE car for the status seeking 20 something that wants to look good in the company parking lot.

Problem is mercedes cheaped out and rather than do a full redesign as they did on the new (hard on the eyes) "E" class they simply shaved down a few rough edges, flattened out a few lines, and developed a savvy marketing campaign that my trophy wife and many others bought into.

It's a great model; Lexus hit a home run with the SC430. Problem is this is the last time daddy's buying into it. Mark my words; mommas getting a bimmer.

Troll much?

BTW, you might want to get the "trophy wife" to a doctor. Whatever is oozing out of her skin has killed those leather seats.

I'd write more but I'm feeling a little low.

I think I'll go post some nonsense on a BMW board about my old POS 325is. Always makes me feel good to belittle other's cars. A real ego boost.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
BMW makes nice cars. They drive and perform well, but they don't hold up over time. My 3-year-old X3 was already showing signs of wear that my 10+ year old C240 hasn't yet.

Oh, and Mr. Wealthy Man, you need to get that cracked driveway fixed. Better yet, do it in brick instead of concrete. And you might want to look into a good lawn service. I'd be totally embarrassed to park my cars in those deplorable conditions!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by MacVidMB-V8
Troll much?

BTW, you might want to get the "trophy wife" to a doctor. Whatever is oozing out of her skin has killed those leather seats.

I'd write more but I'm feeling a little low.

I think I'll go post some nonsense on a BMW board about my old POS 325is. Always makes me feel good to belittle other's cars. A real ego boost.
It looks like she puts makeup on her legs or maybe tanning spray!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Once again I must admit we are on the same page. Glad I joined this forum; truly defies the demographic.

Truth be told the CLK is a car for Mrs. status. Does she give a crap about performance? Hell no; and thankfully Mercedes doesn't either.

Coming from a wealthy m6 driver I'll admit; the 5.5 V8 is an impressive package. Unfortunately that's about it.

I love my Mercedes, but I want to know why they cheeped out on a V8 convertible that started at $60,000.

It doesn't make sense.

What a plonker you are.

You come onto an enthusiasts forum & insult their cars. You must have a very small d--k.

You display the typical lack of breeding that BMW owners tend to possess.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM

W209, W124
What a plonker you are.

You come onto an enthusiasts forum & insult their cars. You must have a very small d--k.

You display the typical lack of breeding that BMW owners tend to possess.
I'm surprised myself. I used to drive through Lexington on my way to the Louisville dump and was always amazed at the grand show of wealth and taste there. Nothing like the trailer courts and strip malls here in SoCal, packed full of old Chevy Cavaliers.

The good news is I have been working in Westwood at UCLA Medical Center (yes, I know, more poor, classless NOBODIES) and I saw a way the OP can make some extra $$$ to upgrade the "Trophy's" car. They are looking for research candidates there and it pays well. He sounds like a perfect match. He just needs to go to the Douchebags International Center for Knowledgeable Studies and sign up.

(The folks at the Kinsey Institute in Bloomington IN might be better able to help him with the Small Weiner issue, or he could buy himself a Corvette...such a LONG hood)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Gentlemen,

I am sensing a measure of animosity that is a bit unsettling. Furthermore it seems that this thread has been moved off track and has diverted from the simple questions I published in my original post. Please help me with my queries:

1. Why are Xenons not standard on the CLK550 cabriolet?
2. Why does my wife's 2007 CLK look like a 2002?
3. Are my wife's seats made of vinyl? (the brown tint is her spray tan. We are currently shopping the "saddle brown" leather for her e92)

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM

W209, W124
Gentlemen,

I am sensing a measure of animosity that is a bit unsettling. Furthermore it seems that this thread has been moved off track and has diverted from the simple questions I published in my original post. Please help me with my queries:

3. Are my wife's seats made of vinyl? (the brown tint is her spray tan. We are currently shopping the "saddle brown" leather for her e92)

Troll, Troll, Go Away !!!

WHen Dad finds you using his computer, your butt will pay !!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM

Troll, Troll, Go Away !!!

WHen Dad finds you using his computer, your butt will pay !!!
Mac,

20% of your posts are featured in this thread. Please go elsewhere if you do not wish to help me with my concerns.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
You seriously can't tell leather from vinyl? You're right, you should have gotten a Corolla.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Gentlemen,

I'll help you out!
I would think xenon lights not being standard was based on market data and price competitiveness. Some people don't care about them and would not want to pay more for the car because they are "standard".

I don't know why your wife's 2007 looks like a 2002 to you. The Porche 911 has looked the same to most people for the past 20 years. But they are not bad cars..... Are they?

Your wife's car seats are not vinyl; just very poorly maintained leather.

A few of points;
A. The people on this forum are among the ( if not the) best in terms of cyber attitude and helpfulness.
B. You are not very considerate...... you seem very much a butthead (IMO)
C. You are not rich..... You very well may think you are
D. Just buy what you and your wife want..... a new one this time...... configured the way you want.

Bye
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 AM

W209, W124
Mac,

20% of your posts are featured in this thread. Please go elsewhere if you do not wish to help me with my concerns.

Thanks.
You are right, I'm sorry.

Let me try to help you with your "concerns".

I just watched "CSI" followed by an old "Columbo" episode so let's see if I can apply some detective skills & forensics to your "concerns".

I will just concentrate on the fact that your interior appears to be trashed. As far as why you can't tell a 2002 from a 2007, I can't begin to guess, perhaps time to see the optician again? Why are the Xenons an "option"? Because they didn't want to make everyone buy them, hence the phrase "option". Just a guess.

Anyhow, back to that dingy interior. I decided to highlight 4 separate areas because I think they are valuable forensic evidence.

1. I noticed what appears to be a Taco Bell wrapper carelessly tossed on the floor. I realize that Spray Tanning is a time consuming, artistic process but she REALLY should find time for a better diet. The color on the seat appears to be a mix of Spray-A-Tan "Tropical Bronze Suprize" with some Cheetos "Extra Spicy" dust liberally added in.

2. A CANDY wrapper stuffed down the side of the seat. Hmm...am I seeing a trend here?

3. What appears to be a box of prescription DIET PILLS down by the seat belt buckle. Hmm....are we perhaps concerned that our "Trophy" is becoming more of a "Monument"?

4. What appears to be BAGS OF TRASH in the back seat.

So, from your own photographic evidence we have someone driving around, stuffing themselves with junk food, tossing wrappers wherever they may land, and storing actual GARBAGE in the car.

5. Looking closely at the seat texture it looks like the top is left down for days on end, leaving the sun to BAKE that poor leather. So, smart enough to protect her OWN skin from the sun but car leather is left to bake. Hmmm.....

With all that junk & food wrappers lying around, i wouldn't be surprised if you have roaches. Better check, they'll eat your wiring. Voracious eaters those Eastern Wire Roaches.

So it would appear that the interior has been treated like a dump and/or landfill. Hence it looking like one. Any other "concerns" I can help with?
Attached Thumbnails Still trying to figure it out-trash.jpg   Still trying to figure it out-trailerboy.jpg   Still trying to figure it out-candy.jpg   Still trying to figure it out-redux.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by MacVidMB-V8; 10-15-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Any poster that starts off with "my trophy wife" is dripping with low self esteem, then hacking on the car in the specific car forum is a nice dose of troll too. The backpeddaling "I just asked simple questions" is also classic.

An arrogant BMW driver with low self esteem trolling a Benz forum? No way....
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)

I just watched "CSI" followed by an old "Columbo" episode so let's see if I can apply some detective skills & forensics to your "concerns".

I will just concentrate on the fact that your interior appears to be trashed. As far as why you can't tell a 2002 from a 2007, I can't begin to guess, perhaps time to see the optician again? Why are the Xenons an "option"? Because they didn't want to make everyone buy them, hence the phrase "option". Just a guess.

Anyhow, back to that dingy interior. I decided to highlight 4 separate areas because I think they are valuable forensic evidence.

1. I noticed what appears to be a Taco Bell wrapper carelessly tossed on the floor. I realize that Spray Tanning is a time consuming, artistic process but she REALLY should find time for a better diet. The color on the seat appears to be a mix of Spray-A-Tan "Tropical Bronze Suprize" with some Cheetos "Extra Spicy" dust liberally added in.

2. A CANDY wrapper stuffed down the side of the seat. Hmm...am I seeing a trend here?

3. What appears to be a box of prescription DIET PILLS down by the seat belt buckle. Hmm....are we perhaps concerned that our "Trophy" is becoming more of a "Monument"?

So, from your own photographic evidence we have someone driving around, stuffing themselves with junk food, tossing wrappers wherever they may land, and storing actual GARBAGE in the car.

5. Looking closely at the seat texture it looks like the top is left down for days on end, leaving the sun to BAKE that poor leather. So, smart enough to protect her OWN skin from the sun but car leather is left to bake. Hmmm.....

With all that junk & food wrappers lying around, i wouldn't be surprised if you have roaches. Better check, they'll eat your wiring. Voracious eaters those Eastern Wire Roaches.

So it would appear that the interior has been treated like a dump and/or landfill. Hence it looking like one. Any other "concerns" I can help with?

Last edited by Kevwood; 10-15-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic

Aaaah??? I am thinking this guy! I vote him.
Thanks for takin the time to post this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Still trying to figure it out