CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

audio install parts help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK500
audio install parts help

I know this is in a few different topics, but nothing is centralized and in some cases there is conflicting info, so I want to try and put it all on here.

I have a 2004 CLK500 with AUDIO 30 (Bose subwoofer on the rear shelf, CD changer and tape deck) I want to install a aftermarket single DIN Alpine CD player/Sirius reciever.

here is the parts I know I need, but Im not sure what else is needed

W203 single DIN mount kit
PAC steering wheel button control box (PAC SWI-RC)
the VW? harness (Im not positive there)
male to female antenna adapter

that is what I have, is there any trick to hooking up the headunit to the factory amplifier? And I know I will lose CD changer use, Im fine with that.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The Bose system uses the D2B fiber ring to send audio from the head unit to the amp, so there are no analog audio lines in the car's wiring harness for the radio. You will need to run your own analog lines to the trunk and then tap into the high-level outputs at the Bose amp. You won't be able to use the Bose amp - it's input is D2B fiber. Also, you may find that using the Bose speakers without the Bose amp will not give good sound quality. The Bose speakers are 2ohm, so make sure you radio or external amp can drive that. Also, the Bose amp has some equalization circuitry that optimizes the sound from their speakers. Most people end up replacing the speakers.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM

2004 CLK500
I was under the impression that the only fiber on the Audio 30 was the line from the HU to the CD changer. My HU is annoying because the volume randomly fades in and out small amounts, enough for me to notice.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I've got an Audio 30 that I replaced with an Alpine. HOWEVER, my car is a 2002. I suggest that you pull your Audio 30 forward and look at it. If the back of it looks like this:

then yours is like mine and Port 1 is the CANBUS connection. It's used for the steering wheel controls. Port 2 is used for the power and speakers. Port 3 is used for speakers. Port 4 is a fiber optic port for the CD changer. Port 5 is for the antenna. On mine, ports 1, 2, and 3 had regular wires in them. The wiring harness adapter took care of ports 1 through 3.

Assuming the ports on your Audio 30 are the same as my Audio 30, you'll need a wiring harness adapter (part number 120701784 at Crutchfield - AKA the VW adapter), an antenna adapter (part number 12040VW12 at Crutchfield), and a PAC steering wheel radio control interface (I used an SWI-CAN2 and a PAC SWI-JACK). I also used a PAC OEM-2 audio output converter (part number 127OEM2 at Crutchfield) to make the Alpine output compatible with the Bose amp. Bose uses a balanced, differential signal interconnection. Alpine components use an unbalanced connection. The PAC converter box reads the unbalanced input and produces balanced output. I can clearly hear the difference and my PAC OEM2 cost $15 at Crutchfield.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
if you got BOSE sound system, there is an optical fiber cabel to the amp. if you dont have bose, you have regular copper wires straight to the speakers.

So, how sure are you about the bose sound system?
Bose subwoofer is not enough, and assumptions is mother of all ****-ups. :P

If you want to be 100% sure, dismantle right hand side luggage compartment panel and see if there is an black amp mounted there..
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
All USA MY2004 CLKs came standard with the Bose digital system.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM

2004 CLK500
I have the build sheet and it just says audio 30, I could never find any paperwork that said what audio 30 actually consists of lol
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The Bose system uses the D2B fiber ring to send audio from the head unit to the amp, so there are no analog audio lines in the car's wiring harness for the radio. You will need to run your own analog lines to the trunk and then tap into the high-level outputs at the Bose amp. You won't be able to use the Bose amp - it's input is D2B fiber. Also, you may find that using the Bose speakers without the Bose amp will not give good sound quality. The Bose speakers are 2ohm, so make sure you radio or external amp can drive that. Also, the Bose amp has some equalization circuitry that optimizes the sound from their speakers. Most people end up replacing the speakers.
They sound just fine if you adjust the amps and the head unit accordingly.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM

04 clk320
How does the PAC OEM-2 or PAC SOEM-4 connect to the fiber optic cable? I am confused. If I have this device do I have to replace any speaker wiring? Or once I have this device I can connect it to the fiber optic cable and connect the device to the HU?

Unfortunately this post is old. I am hoping someone can answer this for me.