CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible top inoperable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM
TAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"05 CLK320
Convertible top inoperable

I hope someone else has had this ownership experience, unfortunate as it may be, so that I can learn from your experience.

My '05 CLK's convertible top is inoperable. The top is in the closed or up position. This is the "good" news. With the engine running, the car in park and the emergency brake set, when I operate the switch, nothing happens. The windows do not get lowered, the rear deck is not actuated, nothing happens. Also, there is no message delivered, indicating that the "top is open" or "close partition" indicating that there is a major signaling problem.

I have taken the car to my favorite MB dealership mechanic, who made several suggestions that might lead to a solution, but I am mindful that though his reasoning is sound it is based on deductive reasoning. The console switch that controls the top operation was tested and proved to be functioning correctly. The first suggestion was to change the electronic key. A new key was ordered but provided no relief, the top remains inoperable. The next suggestion will have what he calls the "upper control module" switched out. If that new part does not restore operation, he has suggested the "soft top control module" will need to be replaced.

As you can imagine, in little time, with each part being replaced some very real expenses are being incurred. I am hopeful that another MB owner ( or mechanic) has seen this same problem and will share insight based on your experience.

TIA.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Amazing you own a 10K car and you can't afford a 75 buck DAS Xentry scan that will tell the mechanic exactly what is faulty---no guess work-- just the diagnostic fact's
Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You need a proper diagnosis. The dealer's SDS (which some indy's also have) can scan the top controller and test it, the switch, etc. There are other options, too, like iCarsfot i980 that can read all the proprietary MBZ systems. A standard OBDII code reader won't do it. Get the error codes from the top controller and we can help.
The following users liked this post:
TAR (09-21-2016)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:20 PM

1998 clk320 w208
2004 CLK500 Top down will not complete

2004 CLK500 Convertible Softop
Body Style A209
Vin Number WDBTK75G44T023435

Used purchase 4/15/17

Softop Operation Issue

Issue: Top will not retract.

Car does not have ski sack installed.

Description: Car was purchased with top not operational. Luggage cover struts were not week and not making connection with switch. I replaced with OEM struts, and is now making solid contact and the dash message is no longer appearing when starting the top down sequence.

Automatic Top Down Sequence.
1. Select down button
2. Red light on button illuminates
3. Dash says top in operation
4. All windows go down
5. Rear head rests drop if up
6. Softop back window comes up
7. Hard Cover comes up
8. Forward softop unlocks
9. Hydraulic motor continues to run
10. Operation stops
11. Top will not open

You can reverse this portion of the sequence to close the top. Sequences were attempted both by battery only operation and while vehicle was running.

Manual Emergency Operation.
The manual does not describe opening so I assume following the sequence in reverse would accomplish opening the top.
1. Open trunk remove linings
2. Release hydraulic valve CC 1 turn
3. Pull ¼ valve locks both sides
4. Place hard cover hinge plastic pins in forward position
5. Install handles
6. Close trunk
7. Unlock forward softtop loch with Allen wrench
8. Softop rear base by window would not release- it seemed like the sytem was still pressurized or something was not unlocked to allow rear softop base by window to fold up
9. Forward softop would not retract it was rigid and straight it would not start to fold as if system was still pressurized or something still locked.
10. Unable to complete the lowering of the top.
11. I reversed all actions and went back to Auto-mode and the same symptoms as described above were re-establish in auto-mode.

Request: It seems to me there is a break in the sequence by a swith or a relay not completing. I have a copy of the wiring diagram. I do not know where the relays and switches ate located.

Questions:
1. Is there a description of each step of the sequence and what switch/relay has to be made to move to next step?
2. Where are the relays located?
3. Fuses? If the motor is working are there other fuses to check?
4. Are forward seat headrests involved in retracting softop?
5. What am doing wrong in emergency retract sequence?
6. Can I start in the auto-mode go to where the sequence stops as described above, then finish in manual mode. I am not sure if my trunk will open in this position to get to relieve hydraulic pressure?

Please offer any suggestion to help narrow my investigation.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Regarding manual operation, the soft top cover lid is VERY difficult to open. You need two people to each pull up on the handles to pop it open. That will release the rear glass so you can tilt it up, but then pulling the cover lid open can be almost impossible due to the design of the older struts. You may have to remove them from their attachment to the lid.

Here's a video for manual close that might help some:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv

Regardless of that, I'll bet your problem is in the microswitch on the windshield header that indicate when the top is locked or released:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/lo...t%20switch.pdf

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/li...20position.pdf
Old 04-16-2017, 02:24 PM

1998 clk320 w208
Rodney,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will attempt manual retract again.

Are you suggesting replace the both switched is S84/11 the part Number? What is best way to test these switches?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:49 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Don't replace both switches yet. First, inspect theme to make sure they are not gummed up or stuck. You can disconnect and unplug the wiring connector and then put an ohmmeter on them to check operation. I don't know of they are normally open or normally closed, but regardless, make sure operating them changes continuity. Of course if you had SDS, you could just scan the controller for error codes and that would point you right to the offender.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM

1998 clk320 w208
Rodney,

Thanks will do. We got the top down manually, not a one girl job!

Going for easter drive, the wife is happy to see it in full air mode. I will keep you post on my findings.

AmcB
Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 AM

1998 clk320 w208
Rodney,

I ID'd the problem. See Diagram it was the up/down limit switch. It's working with a temporary piece of electrical tape to retain the switch clip. Can the part in the diagram be replaced without changing the entire hydraulic cylinder. If so, are you able to assist with
part number.

AmcB

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
OH, OK that part is a common failure. I've foxed those before by drilling a tiny hole and using a very tiny ZIP tie, which is a bit more permanent that your tape. But of course the best solution is replacement. I beleive this is it:

http://www.mboemparts.com/oe-mercedes-benz/2098201810