CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

How many spark plugs are there in the CLK55 (W208)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
How many spark plugs are there in the CLK55 (W208)?

Does it have 8 or 16? Are they easily replaceable? Do you use Bosch or NGK plugs? And while I'm at it, a few questions around servicing please. I've always taken my previous Mercedes to an authorized dealer but it's getting more and more expensive now with routine services. With the smaller engine CLK230, it was getting towards $1 - 1500 each trip and honestly, I don't know what they do it. My questions are:

1. Do you always have your pride and joy serviced at an authorized dealer? I've talked to another CLK55 owner recently and he told me that he's always had it serviced by his trusted local mechanic. He believes that with all the computerized engine management software thesedays, nothing much can go wrong. It's generally the wear and tear bits that need changing. He's had the car for 8 years, 100,000+kms and still going strong.

2. I've read a fair bit about this MAF sensor. It seems to the most common problem with W208. Is it worthwhile just changing it for the hell of it? My car now has done 73000Kms.

3. Do you always use Mobile1 oil? Is there an equivalent synthetic oil of the same quality?

I probably have loads more questions but I'll save it for another time.

Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you all
Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
16, dual plugs per cylinder. Its a bit hard to get to some of them.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
There are sixteen plugs

Easy is a relative term. On a US spec car (that’s code for - I have no idea if the steering wheel is on the right or the left side in Australia), the front passenger ones are easy. Most of the others are straight forward with a couple of swivel head ratchets and some assorted extensions.

Removing the driver's side windshield/headlamp washer tank makes it a lot easier. The driver’s side rear plug is installed by the Braille method.

I take my car to the dealer for things I absolutely hate (transmission fluid change), and things I’m not too sure about (got a P0715 code once). For other services, I do it. Brakes, oil changes, coolant changes, the 3 minute tightening of the steering gear bolts, fuel filter, air filters, plugs, dust filter, battery, - it’s all pretty logically laid out on a CLK.

I would not change a MAF as preventive maintenance.

I use always Mobil1, but it’s easily available. There’s a thread on the W203 forum with a list of the MB approved oils.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
AMS & Marcus, thank you for your replies. I haven't really played around much on the mechanical side of things since my poverty stricken student days. I wasn't much good at it anyway. I might have a go at some of the tasks, if they aren't too daunting. I might need to find an honest and trust worthy local mechanic who won't charge like a wounded bull.

By the way, our steering is on the right side, British style. I wish it was on the left. It would have made imports of so many other vehicles possible and not to mention cheaper.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.

bosch or Ngk single side electrode platinum plug.
The use of the 17mm spark plug boot tool makes it an easy job.I have shipped them to members in Australia.
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Mobil1 0w40 syn is great but you can use others (mb spec.) as long as you avoid 30 wt in the AMG.
Diy spark plug change on benzworld.org w210 diy section.Lots of diy articles on
www.mercedesshop.com resource section diy articles.
oil change with suction method on mercedesshop.com oil change #2
be sure to use the proper fleece filter.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
How do you tighten the steering gear bolts...
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Bmwr1d3h
How do you tighten the steering gear bolts...
Easiest maintenance on the car . . . . . .

Remove the driver's side front wheel. There will be three bolt heads directly in front of you on the inner wheel well. Tighten those to 51 foot pounds. That's it.

There's a webpage with pictures at Signal to Noise. Scroll down on the left and click W208 CLK Steering Gear Bolts.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Cool

Marcus- aside from preventative MB advice, is there a common problem or symptom for tightening these bolts. Just curious.

Joel- I would not change my MAF sensor preventative either. However, you are correct that it is a VERY common problem. I couldn't see harm in having on in the garage waiting.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by unlukky
Marcus- aside from preventative MB advice, is there a common problem or symptom for tightening these bolts. Just curious.

Joel- I would not change my MAF sensor preventative either. However, you are correct that it is a VERY common problem. I couldn't see harm in having on in the garage waiting.
I know of no symptom or problem due to loose bolts.

One thing I can say - I've received a number of emails and PM's about this. Everyone has said they were loose. Not one person has said they were within spec.

Looking at it from another angle - there are a number of cars that don't have a similar maintenance. This leads me to believe that MB must know the bolts commonly get loose.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Easiest maintenance on the car . . . . . .

Remove the driver's side front wheel. There will be three bolt heads directly in front of you on the inner wheel well. Tighten those to 51 foot pounds. That's it.

There's a webpage with pictures at Signal to Noise. Scroll down on the left and click W208 CLK Steering Gear Bolts.

Mine were loose too. The top one anyway. Required 1 1/2 turns to reach 51. Thanks Marcus.

Placebo effect or not, I think my front end rides better.