New CLS55 AMG Owner - Few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 Presidential Ed. (sold), 08 C63 (sold), 09 C300, 03 S55
New CLS55 AMG Owner - Few questions

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Black 2006 CLS 55 AMG (85k miles) from Exotic Motors in Rolling Meadows, IL.
http://www.exotic-motors.com/detail-...-12199922.html

The first issue I noticed right away (of course, AFTER taking it home) was that the Smartkey was acting up, and beaten to hell. While test driving it, I parked it and turned it off and the screen said "key not recognized". The sales guy said he'd have the guys check it. Turns out it basically works when it wants to, and has no range at all (maybe 2-5ft? and only works when pointed directly at the drivers door). I did a ton of research and checked a few things - the antenna amp, wiring, fuses, and the keyfob itself - so far. Amp looks ok as does the wiring to it, and i changed the batteries in the key, but do any of you have recommendations on what I can try next??

Fyi -The alarm does work and sound after testing it, fuses all look good, FM/AM reception seems to be fine, and only the rear doors unlock with keylessgo but both front doors do not open. The windows up/down feature does not work. Starting the car with the start button does work fine. Also that "do not forget key" and annoying chime sounds whenever I open the door after turning off the car.

I am currently trying to chase down the sales guy, Adam B, at the dealership but it's turning into a game at this point. I'm not sure he's going to be able to help or if he even cares to. Trying to avoid the MB dealer cost but I may need to have them look at it or have a new key made. It only came with 1 damn key also, btw....

Shakes under load - I've noticed there is a rumbling/shaking when I accelerate. It is mostly under heavier acceleration. I have read that it's likely the motor mounts. Is there a DIY for this?

Transmission oil change - I am not going to take the sales guy's word on "service was just performed yesterday!" BS, so I'm wondering if I should go all out and swap spark plugs and air filters and oil/filter and just do a full service on it, or do you have recommendations on what I should start with?? What is the cost for updating the firmware on the tranny at the dealer? Is this something I should consider?
Is the transmission oil change as involved as it is on the C-class sedans? Temperature gun and all of that required? I don't see a DIY for this on the CLS, unless I missed it. I had a 2009 C300 before the CLS and never did the tranny oil on it.

Recalls/service bulletins - Does anyone have any info that I can take to the dealer for this? It's obviously well out of warranty but I wanted to see if any items can be addressed/fixed under recall or service bulletin notices.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for opinions/recommendations!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM

2009 CLS550
It might be the door handle. Does the issue happen with both keys or just one?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM

CLS63
Crank, I have the same issue with my keys (CLS550). My dealer claims there is nothing wrong, even though I have had both keys replaced and it still continues to happen. Every time I go in, they tell me the batteries were low in both keys. I'm curious to see if you make any progress. Mine has become so annoying that I made an offer on a CLS63 over the weekend. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by NJSailRacer
It might be the door handle. Does the issue happen with both keys or just one?
I only have the one key. The sales guy said to come back tomorrow, so who knows what that will entail. It may be out of their hands at this point. I'll continue troubleshooting it this weekend if there's still no resolution to the problem tomorrow at the dealer.

Originally Posted by Saks_C350_Sport
Crank, I have the same issue with my keys (CLS550). My dealer claims there is nothing wrong, even though I have had both keys replaced and it still continues to happen. Every time I go in, they tell me the batteries were low in both keys. I'm curious to see if you make any progress. Mine has become so annoying that I made an offer on a CLS63 over the weekend. Good luck.
That doesn't sound promising at all! I'll keep you posted if I find a fix for this, one way or the other.

Any input on the shaky acceleration or recall data?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Want to sell your interior? lol
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
The shaking is the mounts I am most certain. I wen through that myself.

No real DIY just need time a helping set of hands some tools and a good old jack to release pressure and switch them out.

I would recommend to keep the car happy do the full service that is what I would do myself.

Better be safe then sorry really.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 AM

Lol! No the interior is not for sale

Went back to Exotic motors and they are ordering me a new KeylessGo Smartkey, so that is awesome. We'll see if it works when it arrives this Monday!

Ordered mounts for the motor and trans, and also oil/filter for both motor and trans and will be having a nice DIY session this weekend, really looking forward to it. Also ordered oem plugs for it and air filters. I may take it in for the firmware updates on the transmission after I'm done if there's time.

I'll report back with the Smartkey status once it comes in, wish me luck
Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 PM

So the new smartkey is supposed to be in no later than this upcoming Friday. We'll see how that goes...

I did manage to get the oil, oil filter, and trans oil and filter/gasket changed though. Let me tell you, I am SO SO glad that I did. The oil out of the motor was black, as was the tranny oil. Amazing I will be sure to have some serious speaks with the sales guys at the dealer, that is just not cool. I measured exactly 4.75 qts out of the trans (just the trans pan, not the converter), and 7 qts from the motor/filter. The oil drain bolts were leaking also. I'd be willing to bet big money that whoever changed it last did not use MB fluids, or anything even close for that matter - maybe even generic garbage Incredible....

Oddly enough, the shaking during acceleration is all but gone. I do feel it here and there, but it's nothing compared to before. I still plan on doing the mounts, tranny and motor, and have the parts already. Same with oem spark plugs.

I took it out for a leisurely ride after all the fluids were swapped and did not get on it until I had been driving for at least 20-30 mins, just to allow the new fluid to fully work its way in. I did notice the engine makes a whining sound now up to about 1500-1700rpm then disappears, a little more prevalent than before. I am assuming it's the oil pump, and I did use the oem Mann filter. All in all, I'm very happy overall now. I knew it needed this maintenance badly. Shame on the previous owner and most definitely shame on Exotic Motors in Rolling meadows, yikes

I will say it is incredibly clean, inside and out, and under the hood and under the car as well. There's honestly not even that much dust or dirt, let alone corrosion or rust. Very very clean
Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Congrats, enjoy it! The 55's are awesome, I wanted a newer model and went with the 63 Designo Edition.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Well the dealer ended up replacing the key for me (for free of course), and problem solved!! Range is now easily 500ft++ And the remote start feature even works! Very very happy about that.

Don't mean to jack my own thread, but I posted here with no replies, need some opinions asap if possible, otherwise I'm going with Mobil LS 75w90 synthetic for the rear diff: https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/5515...-anywhere.html

I can get this anytime: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...zoneAssigned=1
Old 08-07-2014, 04:30 AM

s 450 4matic
"remote start feature"......

Originally Posted by Crankturner
Well the dealer ended up replacing the key for me (for free of course), and problem solved!! Range is now easily 500ft++ And the remote start feature even works! Very very happy about that.

Don't mean to jack my own thread, but I posted here with no replies, need some opinions asap if possible, otherwise I'm going with Mobil LS 75w90 synthetic for the rear diff: https://mbworld.org/forums/w219/5515...-anywhere.html

I can get this anytime: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...zoneAssigned=1
Can you actually start the car from some distance? didn't know that's possible
Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 AM

Oh no not at all, it works from maybe 15-20ft away max. I hit the panic button once and it beeps then 3-5 seconds later it starts. The previous owner had it installed, pretty neat.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Mercedes Benz keys suck with a passion. One of the small things I hate bout these cars and the navigation is god awful!