CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Worth it to buy your own detailing tools?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Worth it to buy your own detailing tools?

Is it worth it to buy all your own detailing tools and learn how to detail your car? I am leaning towards yes.

A few weeks ago I paid this neighbor of mine to detail my car and he did an "ok" job and I paid him 85. It looked good, but all he did was wash and wax it, I think he also clayed it.

If I do it myself I will need a random orbital like the Porter Cable 7424, few microfiber towers, and your usual chemicals and waxes. I might spend $200-300.

The deal is I live in a condo, If I lived in a house, I would have already pulled the trigger.

Btw, I have always done my own interior. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I feel like all the detailers are always in a hurry and will always do the car just "good enough" so the client does not complain.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,501 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Depends on if you have the time, energy, and interest in doing this

I just dropped $25 for a 3m scratch removal product that worked great for a clear coat scratch
Old 12-14-2014, 04:01 PM

'10 E550, 09 Yamaha Warrior 1700, 99 Honda Aero 1100
If you can't buy a new tool, the job is not worth doing.

Doing a good job takes knowledge, time and pride in one's work. That said, its not rocket surgery, and you can find videos for nearly anything on youtube. If you have the time, pull the trigger. Nobody will ever do a better job than you.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by shoban

Doing a good job takes knowledge, time and pride in one's work. That said, its not rocket surgery, and you can find videos for nearly anything on youtube. If you have the time, pull the trigger. Nobody will ever do a better job than you.
You are right it's not rocket science or surgery but if you don't know what you're doing you can definitely damage your vehicle
Old 12-14-2014, 04:06 PM

CLS550
I have the all the above. I guess I would have to learn a little about detailing. But I just want to do my own car....fix the swirls, apply some polish, wax, sealants, etc.

Nothing too crazy, my car is in good condition and this is just typical stuff. My reasoning is that I would probably do a good job and I would save a lot of money over the course of 1-2 years.

I am not looking to do my car every week either, more like every two weeks or so. Maybe do GF and moms car but not looking to do friends or anything like that.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by shoban

That's exactly how I feel...nobody will ever do a better job than me. The stuff I am trying to do is not complicated either.

At the end of the day, I want to do this because I like my car. If I didn't I would put it through a car wash and let the local detailer wax it and do his detailing thing every few months.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Cartman1
That's exactly how I feel...nobody will ever do a better job than me. The stuff I am trying to do is not complicated either.

At the end of the day, I want to do this because I like my car. If I didn't I would put it through a car wash and let the local detailer wax it and do his detailing thing every few months.
Sounds like you have your answer, I'm sure it will be enjoyable and satisfying for you
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'm sure you could: but do you want to? planning on keeping the car a while?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:36 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm sure you could: but do you want to? planning on keeping the car a while?
I really think I could do a better job, so yes, I want to.

Definitely planning on keeping this car a few years. Right now it's sits outside 24/7, but hopefully I will be able to garage it soon.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

And you'll definitely make your $300 back in spades after a year
Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
And you'll definitely make your $300 back in spades after a year
Oh yeah, the most expensive thing is going to be the random orbital, but the chemicals are not expensive and tend to last a long time if store properly. So I Could potentially spend $200 bucks on everything and be set for the next two years.

Like I said before, I am only planning on washing it, doing the waxes or sealants. Once I remove the swirls, it's maintenance afterwards. Same with interior, I did leatherique about a month ago and it turned out great. Got the 32oz rejuvenator oil and prestine clean and it was SOOOO worth it! Cost me $75 bucks and not only did it restore my interior, it will probably last another year.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRS Supercharged and CLS550 (W218)
Originally Posted by Cartman1
I did leatherique about a month ago and it turned out great. Got the 32oz rejuvenator oil and prestine clean and it was SOOOO worth it! Cost me $75 bucks and not only did it restore my interior, it will probably last another year.
I agree....leatherique is some good stuff. I've been using it in all my cars for the past 4 years and love the results every single time I use it.....worth every penny.