E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Upgraded Renntech tune M278 now produces 540 HP and 705 LB-FT at crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Upgraded Renntech tune M278 now produces 540 HP and 705 LB-FT at crank

A tuned M278 is a bargain compared to the much more expensive AMG models. Not to mention lighter. The Renntech tune will apply to all M278 models including the C217 – S Coupé/Cabriolet, C207 – E Coupé/Cabriolet, C218 – CLS Class, X166 – GLS SUV, and R231 – SL Class

Product page: http://renntechmercedes.com/index.ph...22-s550-detail

Our proprietary ECU upgrade for the Mercedes M278 Biturbo engine offers huge gains in performance across the entire RPM range without sacrificing around town comfort or daily driver reliability.

With the newest update of their Software Upgrade for the M278 – 4.7L V8 BiTurbo, RENNtech boosts the 550-Series to AMG Power Levels. The RENNtech upgraded M278 now produces 540 HP and 705 LB-FT at crank.

Compared to power numbers by Mercedes-Benz, the S 550 gains up to 66 HP and 139 LB-FT. This Software update delivers up to 10 HP and 99 LB-FT more than the previous version.

The vast amount of increased torque across the entire RPM range gives the 550 an extra edge to compete with AMG powered vehicles. All this without sacrificing around town comfort and daily driver reliability.

W222 - S 550 – M278 | 4.7L V8 BiTurbo Stock Performance:

•Rated by Mercedes-Benz: 449 HP @ 5,250-5,550 RPM | 516 LB-FT @ 1,800-3,500 RPM
•Rated by RENNtech: 474 HP @ 4,900 RPM | 566 LB-FT @ 2,350-3,650 RPM

W222 - S 550 – M278 | 4.7L V8 BiTurbo RENNtech Upgraded Performance:
*Applies to all Models, crank power calculation based on 17% Drivetrain loss on 4-MATIC models

•Rated by RENNtech: 540 HP @ 4,500 RPM | 705 LB-FT @ 2,850-3,450 RPM

448 awhp @ 4,500 RPM | 585 awtq @ 2,850-3,450 RPM
Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Impressive gains with just an ECU tune!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Your link is a 404 error
Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Anybody put a tune on an E400? If so what gains did you see?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-AMG
Here the working link:

http://renntechmercedes.com/index.ph...l-e-550-detail
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the stock transmission handle this kind of power?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550C, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by PC69
Can the stock transmission handle this kind of power?
From a parallel thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post6919457
Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
The higher up the power curve you go, the more stress you place on both the engine and transmission. The more aggressive the tune, the more stress you introduce to certain components. There is of course no such thing as free additional HP or Torque. An increased torque value 37 percent above the stated max for the transmission would be something I would think would necessitate some kind of transmission upgrade to handle that much increased stress over a longer time frame as well.

Obviously if you're concerned with long-term reliability or longevity of your car, you have to go into this with your eyes wide open to all the potential trade-offs. As they say, you have to ne able to pay to play. If you're only going to keep your car for a year or two or until something major fails and then quickly try to sell it to someone else, then of course long-term reliability and longevity isn't a big issue for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by PaulE550
The higher up the power curve you go, the more stress you place on both the engine and transmission. The more aggressive the tune, the more stress you introduce to certain components. There is of course no such thing as free additional HP or Torque. An increased torque value 37 percent above the stated max for the transmission would be something I would think would necessitate some kind of transmission upgrade to handle that much increased stress over a longer time frame as well.

Obviously if you're concerned with long-term reliability or longevity of your car, you have to go into this with your eyes wide open to all the potential trade-offs. As they say, you have to ne able to pay to play. If you're only going to keep your car for a year or two or until something major fails and then quickly try to sell it to someone else, then of course long-term reliability and longevity isn't a big issue for you.
Hi, Paul. I'm not here to defend a competitor, necessarily, but RT knows what's up and they're not going to put a product out there that will drastically impact the reliability of a car. Don't get me wrong, that perception that more power = more stress on a system is very real, but (I think) it's a bit misplaced here. Think of it this way: the system that Mercedes has sold you is designed to give you- with proper maintenance- very little trouble for 200-250,000 miles.

When you tune a car, you're trading against that "reliability bank", so that's not a myth. Where the myth comes in is bad math. Let's say we're making another 50 WHP with the tune- the colloquial understanding is that, if you're making 15% more power, you're putting 15% more load on the system ... but that's not true. It's not true because you're not making that extra power ALL THE TIME. You only make that extra power at higher throttle openings and, as a consequence, at higher speeds. At 70 MPH cruise? You're making the same power- and your engine/trans/turbo is experiencing the same load- as you are now. Around town going from 0-30? Same. If you give it enough throttle to generate more power, you will accelerate more quickly and it would be inappropriate for the situation, anyway, so you'll drive it to achieve the same sort of "smoothness" it has now, 90-95% of the time.

What that means is, given 100 minutes of driving, roughly 90 minutes of those will be the same, tune or no tune. So you're only putting that extra bit of load on the total system for 10 out of a 100 minutes ... and even that seems unlikely, since I drive about 90 minutes a day and no way am I "on it" 10 minutes a day- and that's as true in a Prius (or whatever) as it is in a 540 HP Renntech-tuned E550 or a 1000 HP Speedriven EV12, you know?

Hope that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speedriven1:
CDM Motorsports (09-23-2016), dmjr (04-15-2019)
Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Good perspective! And agreed!

Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Hi, Paul. I'm not here to defend a competitor, necessarily, but RT knows what's up and they're not going to put a product out there that will drastically impact the reliability of a car. Don't get me wrong, that perception that more power = more stress on a system is very real, but (I think) it's a bit misplaced here. Think of it this way: the system that Mercedes has sold you is designed to give you- with proper maintenance- very little trouble for 200-250,000 miles.

When you tune a car, you're trading against that "reliability bank", so that's not a myth. Where the myth comes in is bad math. Let's say we're making another 50 WHP with the tune- the colloquial understanding is that, if you're making 15% more power, you're putting 15% more load on the system ... but that's not true. It's not true because you're not making that extra power ALL THE TIME. You only make that extra power at higher throttle openings and, as a consequence, at higher speeds. At 70 MPH cruise? You're making the same power- and your engine/trans/turbo is experiencing the same load- as you are now. Around town going from 0-30? Same. If you give it enough throttle to generate more power, you will accelerate more quickly and it would be inappropriate for the situation, anyway, so you'll drive it to achieve the same sort of "smoothness" it has now, 90-95% of the time.

What that means is, given 100 minutes of driving, roughly 90 minutes of those will be the same, tune or no tune. So you're only putting that extra bit of load on the total system for 10 out of a 100 minutes ... and even that seems unlikely, since I drive about 90 minutes a day and no way am I "on it" 10 minutes a day- and that's as true in a Prius (or whatever) as it is in a 540 HP Renntech-tuned E550 or a 1000 HP Speedriven EV12, you know?

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
Speedriven1 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
Great Response
Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 AM

2015 E550 Coupe

Hope that helps.
Agreed! You're only going to be tapping into the "reliability bank" of the vehicle when you're actually pushing the car to draw on the extra power and then only for the length of time you stay at that increased power level. My only two points were that:

1) There is indeed that trade-off. Nothing is free. So if someone is interested in getting a tune they should simply be aware that the trade-off exists. I see too many posts where people are asking about tunes in one sentence and then concerned about either voiding their warranty or something possibly wearing out faster in the next. The harder and longer you push anything, the faster it tends to wear out. So a car with a 250,000 mile lifespan may only end up getting 200K to $225K miles after a tune. Not a big difference, since it seem most folks on this site flip their cars every four to five years anyway.

2) My other point is that now this new tune ups the torque to what others on a parallel thread have calculated to be 37 percent over the maximum the transmission is design to safely handle. I know RennTech already offers a transmission upgrade for this model vehicle and I was just wondering if with this tune putting out that much peak stress on the transmission at times whether the transmission upgrade wouldn't automatically be needed with this new tune.

Thanks for your response by the way. I agree with everything you said,
Old 09-23-2016, 01:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 e550 4matic

Hope that helps.
well said
Old 10-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECS Supercharged C6 Corvette& 2012 E550 Coupe
I have a tune with downpipes, not from Renntech on my 12 e coupe. The last time I checked most tuners had close to the same numbers, now this new software adds 10 hp and 99 tq? What changed, did the tune get more aggressive by adding more boost, or did another part of the ECU get unlocked to modify more parameters and gain more power?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by zulumerc
I have a tune with downpipes, not from Renntech on my 12 e coupe. The last time I checked most tuners had close to the same numbers, now this new software adds 10 hp and 99 tq? What changed, did the tune get more aggressive by adding more boost, or did another part of the ECU get unlocked to modify more parameters and gain more power?
Mercedes recently put out a software update for the transmissions that the cars really seem to like. All our guys- and, I would assume, RT's, EC's, etc.- are seeing slightly better HP and improved TQ. Might have something to do with it but RT should be able to answer.
The following users liked this post:
djdirty76 (01-08-2020)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Mercedes recently put out a software update for the transmissions that the cars really seem to like. All our guys- and, I would assume, RT's, EC's, etc.- are seeing slightly better HP and improved TQ. Might have something to do with it but RT should be able to answer.
Just a quick question. Is this software update something that is automatically applied when we bring our vehicles in for regular A or B service or is it something that we have to request? Thanks