E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Steering wheel for 97 E420 and 99 E320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Angry Steering wheel for 97 E420 and 99 E320?

Hi, dear all,

Please help me for this problem.

Anyone knows the difference between 97 E420 and 99 E320 steering wheel?

Here is the story:

Last year, I changed an aftermarket wood/leather steering wheel for my E320.
Then, Steve upgraded it to multifunction steering wheel for me.

Then, I sold the aftermarket steering wheel on ebay last Octorber.
This morning, I got an email from him.
He said that he went to many different shop and couldn't install it.
Those shops told him that steering wheel is for S-class!
If he wants to install that steering wheel, he needs to get another inner airbag mounting plate.

He is asking for refound!

When I got that steering wheel, I just got the steering wheel from TX.
Then, stealer installed it to my E320, not S-class for me for $100 by using my old part.
When I listed it on ebay, I took a picture without any extra part.
Then, he came to me to "CHECK" the steering wheel and took it.
Finally, he wrote me email and said it is for S-class, and he needs the airbag mounting plate, or money back!!! :v
It is about five months!

I confirmed with Steve, Steve told me they should be the same.
But, why this person.....

I am really upset!

I had never owned a S-class, and that was on my E320 before!

Anyone knows the difference between 97 E420 and 99 E320 steering wheel?

Please help me!

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited by benchang88; 03-02-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 PM

'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
I cannot make an 'informed' comment on the specifics of the wheel and the correct installation procedure or parts required, but I can suggest the following advice/comparison.
If it has truly been almost 5 months since the purchase, AND he verified the wheel visually (in hand) to the one on his car, then it is his, AS IS.
I cannot imagine ANY retailer accepting a return of ANY product after 5 months (for anything other than 'store credit').
I'll assume (oh, oh!) that he had already left appropriate feedback following the transaction, if so, then you have nothing to be concerned about as far as ebay goes.
If he purchased the wheel to install on a model year OTHER THAN WHAT WAS LISTED, then it is simply tough crap. Tell him to sell it on ebay because it WAS HIS MISTAKE, NOT YOURS!

Geez, the nerve of some people. I suppose if it had only been a week ago then maybe you shuld have compassion for the guy, but not this late in the game. Besides, didn't you pay an auction fee? He would clearly be liable for that amount IF you decided to give him a refund.

BTW, 30 days for a return is quite reasonable, more than that is simply too long.
+++
Old 03-04-2005, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Thanks for your advice!

You make me feel better!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
Hi,

after reading your story I actually went out to check steering on a 99e320 (I own a 97 e420). They looked the same to me.

This guy seems to be a ****pot. Deal with him appropriately! Tell him to F*** off because he is just trying to get his moneyback for a deal he does not want any more.

ebay's square trade should help. Even if he threatens to leave a negative feedback, i donot think he is eligible to after 5 months. Once you click on the "leave feedback" button, it says "item not in database anymore" for items over 90 days old (I think).

besides you can always challenge the negative feedback, and square trade might be able to take if off completely.

Lastly if he somehow leaves you -ve feedback, you can add your comments explaining the issue (one liner only). Stating that -ve comment was left after 5 months alone be more than enough.

I am withya bro. Don't let people take advantage of you!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
I also cannot give you an informed response either but fact is I have a late model R170 SLK steering wheel in mine and it was a plug and play deal (also purchased from the Europimp). If it mounts on your W210, there's no reason why it wouldn't fit on another W210 without MF (in fact it should mount on a pre-facelift with MF, only you'll lose the MF feature). If I remember correctly, the major difference between MB steering wheels preventing you from using a wheel from another class is whether they have dual stage or single stage airbags and that exists between the classes of MB, not the year of manufacture in the same class and body. I've not looked into it but perhaps the mount would be completely different in some classes. However, I believe even a W140 S class wheel would work on a W210 (others can confirm).

However, what kind of aftermarket steering wheel was it? Could it be because it is an aftermarket one? But I presume you also sold him the airbag you were using and hence should fit, right?

It is obvious this guy is trying to take you for a fool - sleep easy bro.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Hi, brothers!

Thank you so so so much!
I know all of you are with me!

I only sold him the aftermarket steering wheel without airbag.

Here is the picture of what I gave him.
But, he told me the mounting plate doesn't match.

I also found people sell the same steering wheel on ebay without the mounting plate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...958594776&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7948531278

I felt upset is because he made me felt I was trying to lie.
But, I didn't.
When I listed this steering wheel, I mentioned I took it off from my E320 and installed a gray color steering wheel. ( I didn't say it is multifunction, :p )
I also sold it for cheaper price, $399-buy it now.

Thank you again, my brothers!

Ben

mobinakhtar, thanks again for checking both cars for me!
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel for 97 E420 and 99 E320?-dscn2840.jpg  

Last edited by benchang88; 03-04-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:39 PM

'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
If he THOUGHT it was MF wheel, but never asked, and was not lead to believe it was MF (either by auction or directly from you through other correspondence), then he simply bought the wrong one because he was in a hurry.
Too bad, so sad. It belongs to him now regardless of what it fits.

BTW, If he gives you more crap, then I would tell him 'it should fit up his **** regardless of the backing plate', then stop responding to him entirely & completely.
+++
Old 03-05-2005, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
If he THOUGHT it was MF wheel, but never asked, and was not lead to believe it was MF (either by auction or directly from you through other correspondence), then he simply bought the wrong one because he was in a hurry.
Too bad, so sad. It belongs to him now regardless of what it fits.

BTW, If he gives you more crap, then I would tell him 'it should fit up his **** regardless of the backing plate', then stop responding to him entirely & completely.
+++
Dan, Thanks~!
You really make me laugh!

I didn't tell him it is for MF, and his E420 is 97 without MF wheel.
He came to me and took this steering wheel to his 97 E420 and checked if they fit.
The reason I didn't tell people I upgraded to MF wheel when I sold it is because I didn't want them ask me how can I upgrade it and not buying my nonMF wheel!

I just don't know how come his mounting plate is different.

Again, thank you to all of my brothers!
Ben
Old 03-05-2005, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It doesn't matter now:

1. He liked the steering wheel, and personally inspected it.
2. For used part, there's no such thing as warranty, as long as you mislead in your ad
3. It's more than 3 months already since you sold it. Even if he want to retaliate and give you feedback, he can't anymore (can only leave feedback within 90 days).

Tell him to take a hike !!!

Originally Posted by benchang88
Dan, Thanks~!
You really make me laugh!

I didn't tell him it is for MF, and his E420 is 97 without MF wheel.
He came to me and took this steering wheel to his 97 E420 and checked if they fit.
The reason I didn't tell people I upgraded to MF wheel when I sold it is because I didn't want them ask me how can I upgrade it and not buying my nonMF wheel!

I just don't know how come his mounting plate is different.

Again, thank you to all of my brothers!
Ben
Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
YOU know that the steering wheel was taken straight out of your pre model updated 1999 W210...YOU know that it fitted perfectly in there...YOU know that the W210 steering wheels and airbags are all the same from 1995 till 1999 (except for the AMG ones as those use different shaped wheels and airbags)...YOU know he picked up the wheel in person...

why do YOU even bother, Ben?

The steering wheel that came out of your car fits any pre modelupdated 210 with a standard airbag...no matter what problem the buyer has.

greetingz,
Old 03-05-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Zam, thank you!

I will do so, if he write me another email!

Thanks,
Ben

Originally Posted by zam2000
It doesn't matter now:

1. He liked the steering wheel, and personally inspected it.
2. For used part, there's no such thing as warranty, as long as you mislead in your ad
3. It's more than 3 months already since you sold it. Even if he want to retaliate and give you feedback, he can't anymore (can only leave feedback within 90 days).

Tell him to take a hike !!!

Last edited by benchang88; 03-05-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Thanks, Steve,

I was not sure 95-99 steering wheels and airbags are all the same. :p

Now, after so many people's support, I have confidence to tell ask him take his own responsibility!

Thanks, all.
Ben

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
YOU know that the steering wheel was taken straight out of your pre model updated 1999 W210...YOU know that it fitted perfectly in there...YOU know that the W210 steering wheels and airbags are all the same from 1995 till 1999 (except for the AMG ones as those use different shaped wheels and airbags)...YOU know he picked up the wheel in person...

why do YOU even bother, Ben?

The steering wheel that came out of your car fits any pre modelupdated 210 with a standard airbag...no matter what problem the buyer has.

greetingz,
Old 03-07-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Sorry to hear that kind of aggravation, I know how i can relate since i buy and sell on ebay. That is one nice beauty for a steering wheel. I wish I could afford something like that for the price.