E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Recent BAS ASR Problem Fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 e420, 81 240d, 87 190-16v, Dodge Cummins Diesel
I couldn't help but to reply to your problem. I had my battery replaced by the dealer, they forgot to tighten the terminals so the car died. Roadside came out and found the prob. When the car started, my odometer light and climate light died?? coincidence?? Anyways, long story short, you need to buy a dash removal tool and climate/ radio removal tool from the dealer, they are around $30 for both sets. The bulbs are tiny and around $3 each. Just a single bulb onthe bottom side of the climate control. 3 bilbs in the odemeter.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Ok, I finally got around to it. Replaced the switch, but still get the same warnings. I only had a chance to back down the driveway a couple times so far. The lights actually went off momentarily, but then came screaming back on...BAS warning, then ESP warning, then ABS warning.
Do I need to get the codes cleaned out by the dealer?Now what?

I must say, you guys must have small hands. I had a heck of a time getting access to the old switch. It is really awkward to reach under there.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Try running DAS thru your on-board computer. You might still get a faulty switch reading on the diagnosis (as I did), at least you know its not now. Try reseting your computer - its worked for me, the warning lights have never come back on again.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally posted by Whitey
Try running DAS thru your on-board computer. You might still get a faulty switch reading on the diagnosis (as I did), at least you know its not now. Try reseting your computer - its worked for me, the warning lights have never come back on again.
How do I reset it?
The following users liked this post:
silverc4s (07-08-2018)
Old 12-26-2003, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Safe and sure method: Via DAS (i.e. Star Diagnostic - I think) at a mechanic with the program - it's like formatting your PC

Unsafe/unsure: Someone mentioned something about unplugging the battery........
Old 12-30-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Fault Reset?

On the subject of reseting faults..

Has anyone else came accross this ABS / ESP reset procedure?

It says to: Turn steering wheel fully left and then fully right twice to reset the ABS / ESP fault.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
UPDATE:

After having tried the brake lamp switch replacement myself, which had no effect on the constant BAS, ESP, ABS warnings, I finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealer.

The fix was something called a steering angle sensor. I have no idea what purpose it serves, other than to extract $400 from my wallet. But at least the problem is fixed.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Just to complete this thread as an update:

RBrenton, that $400 part sucks! My warning lamps still have yet to come on as a result of the brakelight switch fix.

Also for the record, my W210 seems to blow light bulbs all the time--it's absolutley rediculous! I just had my mechanic replace the climate control bulb which cost less than $2.00. The dealer would sell me the bulb yet not replace it.

I think I've replaced 5 bulbs in about a 6 mo duration. I'm just waiting to see which one is next!?!?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:26 AM

1999 C280
Thanks to all posters for the information.

I had the BAS ASR light activate in my 1999 C280 on my way to work one morning. After finding the postings on MBWORLD, I picked up a Brake Lamp Switch at lunch and installed it when I arrived home.

The part was $20. It took about 20 minutes to swap out the old switch and test drive.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 AM

I can't freaking bealive it. It work for me as well. I just fixed the switch cause its was sunday and its everything closed. There's two contacts in the switch and the bottom one it seems to broke. I've had the BAS ASR light for 5 months and I was getting realy upset since winter its coming.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Fedie
Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM

99 C230
I went months with the BAS ASR light on, and I finally typed BAS ASR in the address and found you all, I invested $16.50 and it fixed my BAS ASR light, just like it's been written since 2002. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 PM

2001 E55 AMG
Thank you for the fix-it information on this BAS / ASR warning light (brake lamp switch). I purchased one at the dealer in Newport Beach; it cost me $24.78.

I thought the fix was more of a pain in the a$$ than some of the other guys described. Granted, it could just be me, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm not much of a mechanic. The cover did not easily come off for me. I got it to hang down, but it was still somewhat in the way. And like another poster mentioned, it was hard for me to get my hand / fingers around the switch to unhook it. Finally, once I got it out, I had an even more difficult time getting the new one to click into place.

Overall I am happy I saved myself the $150 and did it myself. Sure enough, my BAS / ASR [yellow] warning light went off after the fix. Thanks again for the tips. You guys rock!!

T-Roll
Newport Beach, California

Last edited by T-Roll; 04-11-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by wood_duck
I had the same problem with the BAS/ASR light and the ABS light.

It comes on when I start the car. Additionally, I have no wipers and no windows which makes me think it's a power issue.

Also if I try to drive the car, it won't shift out of first gear.

Alot of problems all tied to these lights.

Once the car warms up, the lights go out and all works well.

Any thoughts???
It looks like you either have a faulty ground, or a loose fuse
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM

1999 C280 Sport
Recently "GOOGLED" BAS/ASR and got this board. What a find. Had the light out and back to normal once the MB Dealer opened. Have to hand it to you people. Best Damn MB Site around. Thanks for all the great info.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 PM

riddle me this

I'm also experiencing the bas/asr light on my 99 diesel only in my case my traction control AND cruise control are both functional... Any possible explanations?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM

2002 E430 Sedan
Dilemma with the ABS and BAS lights...now wont shift out of PARK

So my wife drives this 02 E430, which has been an all around fantastic automobile. We only have 48k miles on the car.

About 1 month ago she told me that the ABS and BAS lights came on. We called the dealer and they instructed us on how to reset. She has now reset these lights 3 times in the last month. Clearly something wrong and I guess we should prepare to spend some money..

Yesterday, on her drive home, the lights once again came on. Except this time after she parked in the garage the car will no longer shift out of park. The dealer advised me how to manually get it out of park, however, the computer will not allow it to drive in any gear above 2nd.

I've read the threads on this topic and done the brake lamp sensor. Light didnt come after holding the break and it still wont shift out of park until I do the manual procedure (involving a ball point pen near the shifter). So not sure if I should even mess with replacing the Brake Lamp Sensor?

Anyone ever had this problem or can give me an idea for the hurting that the repair shop is going to put on me to solve?

Any knowledgeable experience with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug
The following users liked this post:
silverc4s (07-08-2018)
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Doug, where are you located?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM

2001 E320, 2008 E63 AMG
For those buying Brake light switches from the dealer, Make sure you get the upgraded switch and not the old ones that they are trying to get rid off. I have to change mine twice in 8 months before the dealer informed me. I believe the stem is alittle longer on the upgraded ones.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM

1998 MB E430
BAS/ASR light stays on

A while (2 days) ago, the weather was awful (the roads were covered with snow), and the BAS and ASR kicked in. Since then, when I drive my car (the weather improved), the BAS/ASR light still stays on, and the BAS and ASR warnings appear for no reason. What's going on, and what should I do? I cant afford to pay lots of money for repairs.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Start a new thread

when the op is 4years old.
Saves a lot of reading
Take some brake cleaner and spray the heck out of your brake pads .park on some newspaper to soak it up.or power wash your brakes if above freezing and then rinse them with a spray of brake cleaner to dry them off.Sometimes brake dust messes with the sensors.
How are you tires?The slightest ice will trigger the warning and the system,if the tires are shot.
then (key out) disconnect the battery neg terminal(little door in rear pass footwell) and step on the brakes 30 seconds,then rehook up the battery and sync your windows etc. following the instructions in your manual.Then start the car,turn the steering wheel all the way left and all the way right a few times and you may have solved the problem.
if not test the battery,low voltage will trigger the lights also
are your brake lights working?if not and you have the other lights replace the brake light switch diy on benzworld.org w210 diy section.
part at autohausaz.com or twice as much at the stealer.
ohlord
ohlord
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
corp dl

the climate unit comes out with the same 2 metal hooks used to take out the stock (becker) radio. these parts are virtually free, yet some stores dare ask 10$ for it. i went to an MB dealership (where i had never even been before) and asked for them, the guy just gave em to me "on the house". WAW, since when can you get MB parts for free....from a dealer??? anyway.... i needed them to replace radio, then i put climate unit back and also light wouldn'T come back on. had to tap a bit on the edge surrounding the display to "turn it back to life".

Question: you had the bulb repaired...did they open it to do so, was it "easy"? would like to change mine as well... yet with different color
indeed, lights are a sensitive topic on the mercs.... also have 2 lights half out on the speedometer...pffff.... some quality.
anyhow, good luck with it all.
cheers
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM

98 E430 SPORT
Question BAS/ASR Light

Is it normal for the brake lights not to work when the BAS/ASR light comes on?
I had the switch replaced twice only with same results. My mechanic that works on Mercedes said the a sensor maybe bad. Any suggestions
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM

2001 E320 Avant turbo diesel
Talking

Man who would of thought turn her left and then right and it turns the lights right out.. SWEET tnx god mb thought of that as I triggered mine by removing my cluster to try and rectify the pixels

Any limit on the amount of times that will work.. I did disconnect the battery as well ... but in another post I read you should disconnect the NEG lead I disconnected the possitive .. would that be why

Last edited by ncd20; 05-10-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:21 PM

1999 C280
I just saved a whole bunch of money on my car insur...I mean repair costs

Merc1 you are awesome! I just followed your advice on replacing the switch on my girlfriend's car which did not have a working cruise control and also had that stupid light on. It literally took me 20 minutes to do this job. Surprisingly taking off the panel to get to the switch was very easy and everything went back snug, unlike other cars I have worked with (2003 Celica, 1998 Dodge Stratus, and a 2001 Accord) which were a nightmare to put back together and after all was said and done still weren't back together like they were before I started working on them. The switch had two sets of wires leading to it and they came out of the old one real easy. I hooked up the wires to the new switch turned it counter clockwise to get it back into place and presto lights gone and the cruise control is back! The guys at the shop gave my girlfriend some BS about how it would cost at least 300 bucks to fix both problems (mind you they were going to "try" and fix the BAS/ASR problem and not the switch) and in addition we would have been carless for at least a week knowing the shop's abilities. I paid 22 bucks for the part because I went to an actual benz dealership parts department (rookie mistake I know) because I tried ordering it online but the website forgot to tell me that they didn't actually have the part. So just news to some of you looking to undertake this that it may be tough to get and for 22 bucks a genuine mercedes part is a deal. Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 PM

1998 E430
Guys, I do want to say that I appreciate this thread. Even though I told the dealership about the part, he wanted to do a 'required' full diagnostic test, blah, blah, blah, with parts and labor would have amounted to around $300 overall. So, I said to forget it, that $300 for a $30 part was ridiculous and left. Following this guide, I was able to replace it (although it was NOT as easy as people made it out to be) and things are 100% ok!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Recent BAS ASR Problem Fixed