Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
mco

Drives: ML430, E500
Daytime running lights

If you program the daytime running lights to be on, does that make it more likely that you will need to replace bulbs? I thought that the bulbs on the new E were supposed to last the lifetime of the car. Also curious how many people have programmed the running lights to be on.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:07 PM   #2

Drives: 2013 S550
Try a poll; mine are off.

2013 S550; 2008 Infiniti G37S
ctouhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
No choice

We Canadians have no choice. Daytime running lights are mandatory here in Canada.

It is certainly a good safety feature IMHO.

Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club, Member #6
International Star Riders Assn. #24520
benggolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: E430, E350, LS460
Send a message via MSN to Dema
Re: Daytime running lights

Quote:
Originally posted by mco
If you program the daytime running lights to be on, does that make it more likely that you will need to replace bulbs? I thought that the bulbs on the new E were supposed to last the lifetime of the car. Also curious how many people have programmed the running lights to be on.
Certainly, however I never changed bulbs in my another car having this feature for all 6 years (92k miles) ownership.

It is she,E350, black, P1, folding seat, driver and parking assist, keyless with trunk, and sport
Dema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #5

Drives: 2003 E500
I have mine turned on. People TAKE NOTICE for better or WORSE when they see "REAL" Xenons coming in the distance... so it's a good thing. Too many vehicles use the "dimmed hi-beam" DRL's and I think it's almost standard now.. and seems to have lost it's effect. DRL Xenon's on... defintely are more "noticeable."

Pete
2003 E500: Obsidian Black/Charcoal, E1, E2, Factory Installed CD Changer, Power Rear Sunshade, LP Split Fold, Side Roller Blinds, Command 2 DVD NAV (w/ IN Motion Factory DVD Video), Keyless Go, Illuminated Door Sills (7-25-03 Delivery)

2006 R500: Iridium Silver/Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Trim Pkg, 3 zone climate. (del: 8-23-06)

KILL-LIST (E500): Late 80's 5.0 Mustang (with some mods, and new motor). Next?
NitroShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:36 AM   #6

Drives: '03 Mercedes E320
With the regular lights (non-Xenon) the low beam headlights are "dimmed" with the headlights on "constant". Despite what I read in the manual, you can leave the headlights "off" yet DRL switches to regular headlights (including the tail lights) in the dark. The manual says to leave it on Auto to get that.

It's a fairly nice solution to DRL. but mine are not activated. I don't like the unnecessary lights coming on when I enter and leave the garage. Whether or not those extra on cycles reduce bulb life, I can't prove but I expect they do.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #7

Drives: '03 E320
Daytime driving lights

The logic I use on whether or not to use this feature is the other folks on the road and the most comon factor.
Since I tend to "push the envelope" I want to "fit in" versus stick out like a "sore thumb".
If most of the cars I am passing have daylight driving lights on, I'll turn mine on, so that I look like one of the pack, otherwise I leave them off.
Worrying about replacing bulbs is not a high priority, blending in with others and staying out of of the sights of speed enforcers is a high priority.
Up to you on how to use this feature.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:29 AM   #8

Drives: 2003 E320
I programmed mine to be off. I figure I can turn them on when I feel I need them. I found it to be annoying to have them be automatic.

2003 E320 Brilliant Silver/Charcoal full leather, panorama sunroof, Harmon Kardon, factory 6-CD changer--built December 10, 2002, took delivery January 31, 2003.
rickyfanmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:47 AM   #9

Drives: E500
Mine is off too. I have noticed on some cars you cannot even have it off and I have seen many Saturns and KIAs with DLR on. I dont know about you, but I would not want others to confuse my E500 from Saturns.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #10

Drives: 04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Sweden did an exhaustive 5 yr study back in the 70's and found that DRL'S reduced Side Impact type collisions by almost 24%.

The increased visability is a safety factor I personally will do not do without. We keep lights on on all our veheicles. I could care less what the cost of a bulb is, if it saves me a collision.

This may be nation-wide, but in Texas, all motorcycles are required to have headlights wired to on to increase visabiltiy.

If my E500 is mistaken as a Saturn, I could care less. MB Lovers will not mistake it for one second.
2004 E500 Appearance Package, Obsidian Black/Charcoal, Wood Wheel, Panorama Roof, Hardon-Kardon, 6 disc, Power Rear Shade, Side Roller Shades. Folding seats, NAV, Active Ventilated Seats, Solar Roof, Fully ZAINO'ed. Extreme white replacement bulbs.

marksatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #11

Advise: Keep them on for safety. Especially if you have a silver car. The car otherwise blends in with the sky easily at times.
ValueplusClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Yes, the additional safety offered by DRL should not be discounted. I am glad it is mandatory here in Canada.

Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club, Member #6
International Star Riders Assn. #24520
benggolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM

Tags
05, 2002, daylight, daytime, drls, e320, e430, e500, light, lights, pn, program, replace, running, w211, working