E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
Just got done talking with MBUSA. Got told they had no say in what dealers do, and it was up to each individual franchise.

When I called dealer to ask to have car back until parts came in, he declined saying they would not release car until it was repaired, due to liability issues! Go Figure!
Sounds fishy. I didn't allow them to fix it back then and despite the fact that it wasn't fixed I picked it up 3 days later. I think someone doesn't know his job!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
Just got done talking with MBUSA. Got told they had no say in what dealers do, and it was up to each individual franchise.

When I called dealer to ask to have car back until parts came in, he declined saying they would not release car until it was repaired, due to liability issues! Go Figure!
Such a contrast with our dealer. Our car has been there since Friday while we've been driving the wheels off the loaner. Today we realized that we needed to get the emissions checked so we can renew our tag. We called to see if we could pick it up and take it to get the emissions checked and they said not to worry... THEY would take it and get the emissions checked for us. No charge.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Filled up a few times and it has been rock solid, no more fuel smell even when sitting in the garage! If anyone is having problems with corporate or over the phone at the dealer, just go to the dealership with the paperwork from this thread and they will have a hard time disputing it
Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
I just sent an email to Dara Davis with MBUSA and asked for her input on this. Will wait and see what they say!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
We brought our car to dealer on 2/6/15 & was told tank would be in last week. Was called yesterday & told they did not know when they would get the part.

I opened a case with CS & am now being told that they earliest ETA on the tank delivery is 3/16/15 and no guarantee on that.

Yes we have a loaner but not happy about car sitting idle at dealership & being responsible for loaner for an indefinite period of time or 6+ weeks or longer.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

The snotty case manager from Mercedes in NJ was the one who called to tell me the call to tell me the ETA & when I asked if I could speak to a regional manager she said she was the highest person I could speak with at the company & that even if I wrote the CEO I would have to deal with her.

Really?

Any suggestions?

We never would have left the car there if we had know they couldn't get the part.

Yes our car reeks whenever tank is filled up.

Is this really a safety issue if you don't fill up all the way?

Should we ask for car back until they get part?

What if 3/16 comes & no part?

Very frustrated.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by balthus
We brought our car to dealer on 2/6/15 & was told tank would be in last week. Was called yesterday & told they did not know when they would get the part.

I opened a case with CS & am now being told that they earliest ETA on the tank delivery is 3/16/15 and no guarantee on that.

Yes we have a loaner but not happy about car sitting idle at dealership & being responsible for loaner for an indefinite period of time or 6+ weeks or longer.

The snotty case manager from Mercedes in NJ was the one who called to tell me the call to tell me the ETA & when I asked if I could speak to a regional manager she said she was the highest person I could speak with at the company & that even if I wrote the CEO I would have to deal with her.

Really?

Any suggestions?

We never would have left the car there if we had know they couldn't get the part.

Very frustrated.

Thanks.
All I can tell you is this: request your car back, show them the finger and tell them you will never do business with them ever again. Then complain about this dealership at MBUSA and look for a new one. Tell them your experience, show them the letter and tell them to order parts. Tell them to call you once parts are in and drop it off. At least that is what I would do.

In the end it is your property and they have no right to keep it. If they refuse, call min emergency police and request an officer on scene for the given reason.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Why did Mercedes wait until Feb 2015 to notify owners of the affected cars about this if they notified NHTSA last September and have no tanks or parts in stock?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

By letter dated September 4, 2014, Mercedes has notified the agency that it will extend the original warranty coverage to 15 years and unlimited mileage on "Covered Fuel Tank Components" in E-Class vehicles in MY 2003-2009 and CLS-Class vehicles in MY 2006-2011. The covered fuel tank components for the warranty extension include the fuel tank, fuel filter/sender, fuel pump, and all related gaskets/seals and retention rings. ODI is closing this investigation based on the manufacturer's extend warranty of the affected fuel system components and in consideration that the nature of the leaks does not appear to present an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety. Additional information concerning this investigation, including a list of the above ODI reports and Vehicle Research and Test Center Report No. VRTC-DCD-3206, can be found at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues (search for EA13-003).
Old 02-18-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
All I can tell you is this: request your car back, show them the finger and tell them you will never do business with them ever again. Then complain about this dealership at MBUSA and look for a new one. Tell them your experience, show them the letter and tell them to order parts. Tell them to call you once parts are in and drop it off. At least that is what I would do.

In the end it is your property and they have no right to keep it. If they refuse, call min emergency police and request an officer on scene for the given reason.

Good luck.
Truthfully MBUSA case manager in Montvale NJ was actually the nasty one. I think service manager at dealership truly upset. I left a message for him to call me to ask if we can pick up the car but of course now I am worried that it is a hazard.

Is it possible we could find the part at indy shop or would they normally have to order from Germany?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

Truthfully MBUSA case manager in Montvale NJ was actually the nasty one. I think service manager at dealership truly upset. I left a message for him to call me to ask if we can pick up the car but of course now I am worried that it is a hazard.

Is it possible we could find the part at indy shop or would they normally have to order from Germany?

Thanks.
Give me your VIN in a PM and I'll give you the tank part no. Indy shops can repair it, too but then you still have to go through a dealership to get your money back. That's what I'm doing right now.

It's not a safety hazard. I drove around for months bc I tried to find out what's weong on my own bc most of the repairs I do it on my own. I know it was something around the fuel sender unit and tank bc of the threads online. But my car only needed the sender unit replaced. So I never had the issue of waiting for the tank.

There has to be someone higher than this person at MBUSA you can talk to. If not I would go as far as talking to MB customer service in Maastricht, Netherlands. I'm not sure if they are only for the EU market but they try to make stuff happen for MB customers.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 PM

'13 E350 . M276
I called another dealership nearby and asked if they'd provide me with a loaner and the answer was a sure yes. I called dealership where car is now to let them know I'd be picking car later today, and his response was,

"I don't mind releasing car to you if you plan to have repairs done at another dealership. The only problem is that your tank has been ordered from MB based on your VIN. The other dealership will have problems getting a tank for your car since one has been ordered by our dealership using your VIN."

I asked if they could have tank sent over to other dealership upon arrival, to which he responded he would have to talk to his general manager and would let me know later today!

Last edited by Stuttgarten; 02-19-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Worst case you pick it up yourself.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM

2/19/15 Update:

We were informed by dealer that they will not release the car with the tank leaking as it is. We need the tank and the sender.

Our service rep said he checked with other dealerships in our area and none have the parts.

He said they have a number of cars that were brought in that will also be held like ours until they get the parts.

Very disappointed about this entire situation but now too freaked out to even want the car until it's fixed.

Really?

Any suggestions?

Very frustrated.

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

2/19/15 Update:

We were informed by dealer that they will not release the car with the tank leaking as it is. We need the tank and the sender.

Our service rep said he checked with other dealerships in our area and none have the parts.

He said they have a number of cars that were brought in that will also be held like ours until they get the parts.

Very disappointed about this entire situation but now too freaked out to even want the car until it's fixed.

If this freaks you out I don't wanna know how freaked out you are with a mild to severe cold LOL it is nothing. You won't pass out or anything like that. Many drive around with the smell for months and they are still all there and alive but if none of the surrounding dealerships have the parts you might as well leave it there.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Worst case you pick it up yourself.
OK, current dealership is releasing car this evening. They've cancelled the tank order in order to allow other dealership to order one. I also made an appointment at other dealership in nearby town for tomorrow morning with the guarantee of a loaner! RELIEF!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Banned

OK, current dealership is releasing car this evening. They've cancelled the tank order in order to allow other dealership to order one. I also made an appointment at other dealership in nearby town for tomorrow morning with the guarantee of a loaner! RELIEF!
At a boy! Persistency is king with this ****
Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM

'13 E350 . M276
At a boy! Persistency is king with this ****
Yes, persistence paid off. Picked up my car last night. This morning took it in to another dealership who had a loaner waiting for me. Now, if it takes one week or 10 weeks, I'm fine with that! now you go gettem Mackhack
Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
i made my appointment last week, i didn't even have to say anything or quote any order/warranty extension info they already knew it all

he did say the gas tanks were on backorder 3-4wks, but i am bringing it in Thursday to make sure the tank needs to be changed and they offered me a loaner for the initial visit and the actual tank replacement service... but they said it will only take a day to do it. is that what you guys are hearing/experiencing guys?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Craftysince86
i made my appointment last week, i didn't even have to say anything or quote any order/warranty extension info they already knew it all

he did say the gas tanks were on backorder 3-4wks, but i am bringing it in Thursday to make sure the tank needs to be changed and they offered me a loaner for the initial visit and the actual tank replacement service... but they said it will only take a day to do it. is that what you guys are hearing/experiencing guys?
Instead of asking if that is what we experienced, why don't you read a little bit before posting a worthless one? Some had good experiences like you, some didn't get their cars back,... Others went a completely different route like myself! Reading and listening is what makes us learn, not talking and writing
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Follow up to my repair

As stated previously, took my 2006 E350 in and got a loaner... took them 2 weeks to get the tank (service rep said they had to keep other dealerships from taking it). Got the car back, and the inside smelled badly of gas! Turns out the tech spilled a bunch inside my car while doing the repair. They said it would be a week or so and it would go away... I hope that's all it is, and it's not another leak somewhere. It has diminished quite a bit, but I'll be very observant the next time I top off the tank.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
i did plenty of reading, i was referring to the month back order and the day turn around on the actual labor for similar experience.

i was sharing my experience to give people incentive to ask for this "loaner" just like other people did in case some dealers were refusing... like other people stated, again.

thanks

Last edited by Craftysince86; 02-20-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
MB W212, MB W218, BMW F06, BMW F48
This goes out to all the w211 SOCAL owners only...Im just wondering how long (days or weeks) did it take to get you guys cars back because im about to turn in mine tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hsg08; 02-27-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hsg08
This goes out to all the w211 SOCAL owners only...Im just wondering how long (days or weeks) did it take to get you guys cars back because im about to turn in mine tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
This question cannot be answered with a simple time frame. Not every car needs a replacement of the gas tank like in my case. Also, I took mine in for a B Service and got the fuel sender unit replaced in one shot. So, to answer it from my experience: in at 8am, out by 4pm
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM

'13 E350 . M276
I'm in N. Cal and mine needs a whole tank replacement. Took mine in on 2/20 and was told tank would be in on 3/13. I have no problem with that coz they gave me a loaner! If you called dealer before you took car in, they should be able to give a better idea of their time frame.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
MB W212, MB W218, BMW F06, BMW F48
This question cannot be answered with a simple time frame. Not every car needs a replacement of the gas tank like in my case. Also, I took mine in for a B Service and got the fuel sender unit replaced in one shot. So, to answer it from my experience: in at 8am, out by 4pm
Ok I finally took my car in this morning. My service rep told me that they wont be able to diagnose the car till Monday but he is saying that they usually replace the whole entire fuel tank components/ sending units since its covered by extended warranty and it might take 2-3 weeks. My service rep is really top notch and very helpful. He also gave me a free 100pt car inspection and provided me a brand new w205 as a loaner car. Well, they can hold my car as long as they want while im having a blast driving the new C.

And also my cousin has an 07 E350. But for some reason his VIN# didnt come up via (MBUSA website) if he can make a claim regarding this fuel leak issue under extended warranty. I thought this extended warranty covers all E-class 03-09. Should he still take his car to the dealer? Any number where he can call to see if hes cover by the warranty accurately? Thanks

Last edited by Hsg08; 02-28-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Hsg08
And also my cousin has an 07 E350. But for some reason his VIN# didnt come up via (MBUSA website) if he can make a claim regarding this fuel leak issue under extended warranty. I thought this extended warranty covers all E-class 03-09.
PZEV vehicle are not covered, check your PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class