E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Project install Android TV in Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E220 CDI w. AMG Styling pack
Project install Android TV in Comand

Project Android TV in car with inspiration from AstronBnX.

So a thread by AstronBnX (reha) inspired me to start a similar project on my car.

At the moment the car is at the workshop to get my panoramic sunroof replaced. It got stuck one warm summer day and wouldn't close again. Also the Comand unit stopped working. Just flashed the star logo and restarted in loop. So 2 problems to get fixed. Turns out the car is 8 month out of warranty
The dealer called me with price for the replacement for sunroof. It was 16.000 €
However we filed an application for MB to get this fixed under warranty and luckily they agreed. So both the sunroof and Comand unit is currently being replaced free of charge
The car has now been at the dealership for 10 days and I should get it back any day now.

Meanwhile I've been shopping on the internet to get most of the stuff I need.
So far I've got this:

Rikomagic MK802IIIs Android TV

HDMI to AV converter. Bought from ebay.

RC12 Gyro keyboard with touchpad

RCA Jack female to Fakra "Z" female pigtail cable. Bought from ebay

10 port active USB hub bought from ebay

Testing the whole setup at home first.

The setup works like a charm so far. Everything is powered through 1 USB port because of the active USB hub. So with this solution I don't have to find a 12v source and use some converter. I can use the 12V cigarette outlet in the glove box compartment to power the USB hub with USB cable.
Now Android TV & HDMI converter is powered and I have plenty of USB inputs for the Android TV So far my cigarette USB adapter only provides 1A, but this is enough for what I'm using so far.

Now I just need my car back, so I can get started with assembly.

I'll keep posting here as the work progresses.

Last edited by andjohansen; 09-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
interested to see how this turns out. How much did the components cost?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM

The Android TV and the gyro keyboard was around $100. The HDMI to AV converter was around 17$ and the rest was pretty cheap on ebay. So not a costly solution at all.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Ohh. And I forgot about the VIM module I've bought also. This was the most expensive part. Haven't fitted it yet, so yet to see if it's working.
This VIM is for NTG4 as that's what I have in my car. However the unit has now been replaced, so I'm pretty excited to see if it's also NTG4 when I get the car back from the workshop.
If they have replaced it with NTG4.5, I'm not sure this module is working.

Costs 150$ on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261281467593

Last edited by andjohansen; 09-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Very cool idea! Plz post pics of the install that is an ultimate add onn
Old 10-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550
Any success yet? Im very excited to see how this works
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 AM

Well I got to a bit of a stand still with this.
I've got my car back after 14 days in the workshop. The panoramic roof has been replaced and also the Comand unit has been replaced.

I have NTG4 in my car, and I have to admit that I haven't paid enough attention around the AUX in video options. Turns out that you can't have aux in and RVC at the same time with NTG4. You need NTG4.5 for this.

I could have swore that I had this before I got the unit replaced. The RVC worked fine AND I had the option under video to select AUX. I clearly remember this, because this is what got me this idea in the first place. I remember wondering how to connect something to the video aux since I have this option to select it.
Now with the replacement, if I select video it goes straight to DVD. I have tried enabling video aux in from engineering menu, but it only shows up if I disable the RVC in engineering menu.

I love my RVC and don't want to disable this. So I think that I'm not gonna to through with this unless someone comes up with a solution

I had the whole thing connected up and the RVC disconnected for a while. The setup works fine. Picture from the Android TV was fine and resolution wise was actually better than expected. So all in all, it works! But then again, it doesn't

Also there is some other strange new things with my new NTG4. This makes me think that I have a newer/older revision than before.
I now have a AUX audio boost function. This wasn't there before the replacement. I don't use it because my HTC phone provides more than enough volume, but I'm positive that this function didn't exist before.

Also now if I turn the temperature up or down in the car, it shows up on the display in the bottom of the screen. This is also a new function after the replacement.

These are probably just some options you can enable/disable in engineering menu, but still. I'm still certain that I had option for video aux in before and I don't anymore

The VIM module is working flawlessly though. I can watch DVDs on the move without any issues. Was really easy to install and worked from the first minute.

So if anyone are interested in trying this out themselves, I can sell you all the stuff above except the VIM for a fair price.
Just let me know if you are interested, and I can calculate a price for the whole bundle.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 844 Likes on 610 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by andjohansen
I've got my car back after 14 days in the workshop. The panoramic roof has been replaced and also the Comand unit has been replaced.

I have NTG4 in my car, and I have to admit that I haven't paid enough attention around the AUX in video options. Turns out that you can't have aux in and RVC at the same time with NTG4. You need NTG4.5 for this.

I could have swore that I had this before I got the unit replaced. The RVC worked fine AND I had the option under video to select AUX. I clearly remember this, because this is what got me this idea in the first place. I remember wondering how to connect something to the video aux since I have this option to select it.
Now with the replacement, if I select video it goes straight to DVD. I have tried enabling video aux in from engineering menu, but it only shows up if I disable the RVC in engineering menu.

I love my RVC and don't want to disable this. So I think that I'm not gonna to through with this unless someone comes up with a solution

I had the whole thing connected up and the RVC disconnected for a while. The setup works fine. Picture from the Android TV was fine and resolution wise was actually better than expected. So all in all, it works! But then again, it doesn't

Also there is some other strange new things with my new NTG4. This makes me think that I have a newer/older revision than before.
I now have a AUX audio boost function. This wasn't there before the replacement. I don't use it because my HTC phone provides more than enough volume, but I'm positive that this function didn't exist before.

Also now if I turn the temperature up or down in the car, it shows up on the display in the bottom of the screen. This is also a new function after the replacement.

These are probably just some options you can enable/disable in engineering menu, but still. I'm still certain that I had option for video aux in before and I don't anymore

The VIM module is working flawlessly though. I can watch DVDs on the move without any issues. Was really easy to install and worked from the first minute.

So if anyone are interested in trying this out themselves, I can sell you all the stuff above except the VIM for a fair price.
Just let me know if you are interested, and I can calculate a price for the whole bundle.

I don't know what you mean by the video AUX selection. I never saw it before or after the software update.

What I do see after the update is Bluetooth music streaming. I also see the VOLUME BOOST under the Bluetooth audio in the bottom left TAB. Boost is not volume boost. It is mostly BASE boost and it really enhances the sound quality.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:37 PM

W204
Project Android TV in car with inspiration from AstronBnX.

So a thread by AstronBnX (reha) inspired me to start a similar project on my car.

At the moment the car is at the workshop to get my panoramic sunroof replaced. It got stuck one warm summer day and wouldn't close again. Also the Comand unit stopped working. Just flashed the star logo and restarted in loop. So 2 problems to get fixed. Turns out the car is 8 month out of warranty
The dealer called me with price for the replacement for sunroof. It was 16.000 €
However we filed an application for MB to get this fixed under warranty and luckily they agreed. So both the sunroof and Comand unit is currently being replaced free of charge
The car has now been at the dealership for 10 days and I should get it back any day now.

Meanwhile I've been shopping on the internet to get most of the stuff I need.
So far I've got this:

Rikomagic MK802IIIs Android TV

HDMI to AV converter. Bought from ebay.

RC12 Gyro keyboard with touchpad

RCA Jack female to Fakra "Z" female pigtail cable. Bought from ebay

10 port active USB hub bought from ebay

Testing the whole setup at home first.

The setup works like a charm so far. Everything is powered through 1 USB port because of the active USB hub. So with this solution I don't have to find a 12v source and use some converter. I can use the 12V cigarette outlet in the glove box compartment to power the USB hub with USB cable.
Now Android TV & HDMI converter is powered and I have plenty of USB inputs for the Android TV So far my cigarette USB adapter only provides 1A, but this is enough for what I'm using so far.

Now I just need my car back, so I can get started with assembly.

I'll keep posting here as the work progresses.

iv read through and as you said it works and willing to sell the whole bundle apart from the vim. Would you be able to calculate a price for me including shipping if neccesary to the uk