E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New Member, Big Problem! ABS/ESP/EBD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E250 CDi Coupe
New Member, Big Problem! ABS/ESP/EBD

Good morning all, a quick introduction, my name is Lewis and have recently purchased a 2010 E250 Cdi Coupe Blue-eff 6-7 weeks ago, and loving every second, until now!!

Had the following appear last weekend:

ABS Inoperative
ESP Inoperative
Traction light on (wont turn off)
Run Flat Indicator Inoperative
Cruise Control Inoperative
Speedtronic Inoperative

On my way to the garage last night, the following appeared:

EBD Inoperative
Power Steering Malfunction

When the car is left, and started, nothing is on the screen, it isnt until I drive for approx 15-20 seconds that the ABS/ESP/Traction/Run Flat messages appear on the screen, and the Power Steering/EBD appeared yesterday while driving to the garage of all places! I turned the ignition off while driving and restarted and the Power Steering/EBD message disappeared but the other lights all remained.

I see a lot online with regards to ABS/ESP but having all of these errors at the same time doesn't seem to be as common. I read on a forum for SLK owners something to do with a faulty ESP control module, and have also seen quite a bit about some wiring around the steering wheel/centre console.

The vehicle is currently in the garage now (Big Motoring World Service Centre) but it would be reassuring if someone else has had the EXACT same problem so I know they won't try and con me into spending a shed load when it may be something silly? Seems a bit strange for all of this to go at the same time, which makes me think something small has gone and has tripped the rest out?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge/terminology as I don't know a great deal about cars!

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Posted in New Members Section of the forum also (Link with photos)

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-membe...r-problem.html
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS
I have not had the same issue, but to me it points to an electrical issue. Possibilities could be a bad battery connection, a battery that is going bad, or a ECU (Electrical Control Unit, or computer) that has issues.

My XK8 Jag was extremely sensitive to electrical power fluctuations, and the above would pointed directly to a dying battery. A Hard reset (removing the battery terminals for a while) on the Jag and a new battery would solve the problem.

The fact that no-one so far responded also indicates this is not a typical issue of the car, but I would recommend to get Mercedes to diagnose the issue. A few years ago my wife's one year old Nissan would not start, but everything else was working perfectly. The dealer took a week to diagnose the problem, and found part of the ECU was bad. On that model, our car was only the second one ever to have the issue.

Good luck, and I hope you find it soon. There is nothing as frustrating as a new car and having problems with it.

Just my 2c..
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
I am thinking bad wheel speed sensor.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM

E250 CDi Coupe
Originally Posted by CarolinaBluetec
Just had a call from the garage and they found a very small nick in the outside tyre wall (n/s front), could the car have picked this up via electrical means??
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
Originally Posted by turnbull21
Just had a call from the garage and they found a very small nick in the outside tyre wall (n/s front), could the car have picked this up via electrical means??
Highly unlikely.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
Originally Posted by CarolinaBluetec
I tend to agree as its one thing that 'most' of those issues could have in common. Also the owners manual has some pages with potential causes for various warnings such as those and one of the things mentions is weak battery signal (as someone mentioned above). That would be my second guess here.

Beyond that I would guess at some sort of control module.

Please let us know what it turns out to be.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM

E250 CDi Coupe
I will give the garage another nudge tomorrow and see if they have found anything. Will post any updates they give me.

Thanks for the responses so far, wheel sensor/new battery shouldn't be as costly as I thought and should in fact both be under the warranty it came with!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 PM

E250 CDi Coupe
An update for anyone interested:

They got quite a few fault codes when plugging it in, and are 99% sure it is a problem with the fusebox, they will be looking in more depth over the weekend so will post any further updates.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 w204 C63 AMG
My 2010 C63 just went bonkers with alerts last week. One set of problems was eventually tracked down to a bad ESP Control Module which needed to be special ordered, of course. I'll know more from the dealer on Friday.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM

E250 CDi Coupe
They called me late this evening and have said its a wheel bearing. They will be replacing tomorrow morning and hopefully that solves it. Is the wheel bearing different to the wheel speed sensor as someone previously identified in this thread?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 AM

A wheel bearing allows the wheel assembly to rotate easily and smoothly around the axle. The wheel speed sensors relay information to the computer about how fast the wheel is turning. Yes, a bad wheel bearing can cause ABS problems.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

E250 CDi Coupe
Got the car back on Friday, and have since drove approx 200 miles, motorway + country, giving it some 'welly' and a nice bit of corner speed and it seems to have done the trick.

If anything, the car feels smoother than it did previously!

For clarity, a new wheel bearing was fitted.

Hope this potentially helps someone in the future, and thanks for your responses guys!
The following users liked this post:
Munya25 (08-10-2021)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes w204 c220
W204

there guys I had exactly the same problem a few days ago I started the car in morning on a cold start and started driving immediately and about 5 mins later the abs light came on following with ebd esp tyre pressure inoperative and finally steering wheel malfunction light and then the power steering went really heavy no power assist. So I turned car off and waited a while hoping it will go away but exactly same as before driving for around 2 mjns and all lights came on again followed by same problems so I got home n decided to disconnect battery overnight hoping to do a hard reset but in the morning no luck exactly same problem! Btw I have a new battery fitted recently so I knew it was nothing to do with that as some people have mentioned on here anyway I took to one garage and the guy said probably alternator but I didn't think it was that btw my car is only done 38k so all these big things wasn't making sense anyway he put the diagnosis machine on and said couldn't find codes as when the car was off codes went away for some weird f***n reason! ! Anyway he said he cleared some codes n it was working ok soon ss I left garage it call came back! ! So I weng to another garage and he said exactly same thing saying he cant find any codes so I said il start the car take for spin when lights come on then will put diagnosis (problems don't occur stationery only after driving for a min or two) soo... this is the interesting part as this guys garage was a dead end and I couldn't do a 3 point turn I had to reverse the car a good 60 70 yards and turning steering left right to avoid other cars I was expect the lights to come on any sec but they didn't? !! So I drove out waiting for lights to come on but nothing thd problem jys vanished jus like that thank god!! And since been two days no problem jys wanted to day I think by reversing I might have fixed some speed sensor or abs which was causing everything so give it a try in a car park at night guys might jus work u never know I jus wanted to share this cz I know how frustrating I was thinking the worst do post back if anyone try this method so maybe we can help someone in position maybe luck or maybe method good look guys
The following users liked this post:
Ferris_E550 (10-13-2016)