E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Removed resonators and exhaust is still to quiet, looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
E550
Removed resonators and exhaust is still to quiet, looking for suggestions

Hey guys I have a 2012 E550 4matic. I removed both resonators the other day and replaced with an X-pipe. To my surprise there were no secondary cats. So now the exhaust is just the primary cats and the stock mufflers. The car is still way to quiet, quieter than a stock 63amg. Could it be the Xpipe thats quieting it down? Would it be louder with straight pipe?

I am looking for ideas on how to make it louder without breaking the bank with a full exhaust like meistercraft etc. I was thinking of maybe swapping in a set of stock 63 mufflers. any ideas are much appreciated, thanks
Erik
Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Juice1979
Hey guys I have a 2012 E550 4matic. I removed both resonators the other day and replaced with an X-pipe. To my surprise there were no secondary cats. So now the exhaust is just the primary cats and the stock mufflers. The car is still way to quiet, quieter than a stock 63amg. Could it be the Xpipe thats quieting it down? Would it be louder with straight pipe?

I am looking for ideas on how to make it louder without breaking the bank with a full exhaust like meistercraft etc. I was thinking of maybe swapping in a set of stock 63 mufflers. any ideas are much appreciated, thanks
Erik
Check out my Instagram page @_w212amg
I did straight pipe removed all mufflers, x pipe isn't gonna make it loud as straight pipes
Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic Sport

Erik
You should check out this thread (a few posts below yours). https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...er-delete.html

Keep in mind, the Xpipe doesn't add much sound but take it from a guy who "straight pipe'd" his exhaust after removing the resonator...you'll definitely get some sound but it flutters like a diesel. You'll also lose some back pressure so your car will lose some performance power.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
KY.Benzter brings up a very important point. With cars as finely tuned/developed as the MB are, if you delete any portion of a stock exhaust system you will reduce back-pressure, which will definitely affect performance - usually negatively.

If you are contemplating exhaust mods, you may need to re-tune your engine in order not to lose power or torque.

I learned this from hard experience, back many years when cars were purely mechanical things. One had to revise spark advance, ATF (air-to-fuel ratio), timing and other engine parameters to improve (or often to just maintain) performance.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:11 PM

E550
My car is tuned by OE tuning. I have already spoken with them and I was advised that removing the resonator and replacing with straight pipe or x-pipe will have no effect on performance.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Update: when I wrote my previous response I was actually sitting in my tuner shop waiting for my new exhaust setup to be installed.
*When I walked in I simply had a "resonator delete" (aka straight dual pipes). I HAVE HAD THIS SETUP FOR 8 MONTHS & WAS SICK OF THE "DEISEL FLUTTERING" EFFECT*

The guys and I experimented with:
- replacing a Xpipe in place of the dual straight pipes. This basically took me back to a factory sound
- with the Xpipe installed we then deleted both mufflers. This made the car sound like a overwhelmingly loud racecar with droning through the wawzoo inside the car

My final decision was to keep the Xpipe and replace the stock mufflers with "performance turbo mufflers" (aka Cherry Bomb's quietest mufflers). I am overly thrilled with the external sound which is a very deep rich tone, but must admit there is a decent amount of droning inside the vehicle. The droning is tolerable but my wife has yet to ride around with me so we'll see. She will probably punch me in the throat but then again it's not her car.

I think we all fall victim to wanting a great sounding exhaust from outside the vehicle and fail to think about the potential droning inside. I truly believe this is the best sounding set up someone could get for the E for less than $250! I will try to post some sound clips soon…

Last edited by KY.Benzster; 10-01-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
My car is tuned by OE tuning. I have already spoken with them and I was advised that removing the resonator and replacing with straight pipe or x-pipe will have no effect on performance.

Sorry - I should try to remember the specifics to your car. . .sorry.

Probably if all you are deleting is resonators, they are right. As an old "grey-hair" recovering gear-head, when someone says "resonator" I remember glass-packs. When resonators first came onto the scene, they were little more than glass-packs. Given that they still offer very limited back-pressure, they probably won't affect tuning, either.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
IMO between the turbos and the primary cats there is plenty of back pressure remaining on the turbo V8 and turbo v6 engines. I don't think the OP's mods increase flow or really add HP. An increase in sounds is what is desired. Straight will be louder than X.

The direct inject 350 is going to sound much different than the turbo v8, which sounds different than the natrually aspirated v8. Turn up the volume and these differences are more apparent. An X pipe mellows out the sound, balances flow and can improve flow by scavenging if done correctly, but I think this matters less on turbo cars.

I would straight pipe the turbocharged cars and X the naturally aspirated cars.

OP have you thought about getting the E63 mufflers those might sound nice and fit well. EDIT or C63 mufflers the E63 guys sometimes put these on to increase the sound since they are louder than the E.

Last edited by rediesel; 10-02-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Different car but I was looking for more sound on my CLK550 and removed the bubble resonators and secondary cats (straight piped) and swapped the stock muffler with a magna flow. Quite loud and I was satisfied, although I did not want that sound on my E550 so I just removed the resonator and straight piped. A little more growl, but not a lot. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 Mercedes Benz E550 4Matic Sport Sedan

I am looking for ideas on how to make it louder without breaking the bank with a full exhaust like Meistercraft etc. I was thinking of maybe swapping in a set of stock 63 mufflers. any ideas are much appreciated, thanks
Erik
I spoke with Cory from Kleeman and a few other performance shops this week. Removing the cats will result in the largest increase in sound. I decided to go with the MBH Motorsports 3" race exhaust (no cat downpipes and midpipes).

Additionally, I replaced the stock resonator with Vibrant Performance bullet style race resonators.

I already had the GT Haus Meisterschaft GTS on the car.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM

E550
Originally Posted by KY.Benzster
Update: when I wrote my previous response I was actually sitting in my tuner shop waiting for my new exhaust setup to be installed.
*When I walked in I simply had a "resonator delete" (aka straight dual pipes). I HAVE HAD THIS SETUP FOR 8 MONTHS & WAS SICK OF THE "DEISEL FLUTTERING" EFFECT*

The guys and I experimented with:
- replacing a Xpipe in place of the dual straight pipes. This basically took me back to a factory sound
- with the Xpipe installed we then deleted both mufflers. This made the car sound like a overwhelmingly loud racecar with droning through the wawzoo inside the car

My final decision was to keep the Xpipe and replace the stock mufflers with "performance turbo mufflers" (aka Cherry Bomb's quietest mufflers). I am overly thrilled with the external sound which is a very deep rich tone, but must admit there is a decent amount of droning inside the vehicle. The droning is tolerable but my wife has yet to ride around with me so we'll see. She will probably punch me in the throat but then again it's not her car.

I think we all fall victim to wanting a great sounding exhaust from outside the vehicle and fail to think about the potential droning inside. I truly believe this is the best sounding set up someone could get for the E for less than $250! I will try to post some sound clips soon…
thanks for the advice. However, your car has V6 engine which is totally different than my car whcih has the v8TT. Ive used cherry bombs before on previous vehicles and my guess is it will be too loud for my daily driver.

I guess ill try the straight pipes and see how it sounds
thanks again
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
thanks for the advice. However, your car has V6 engine which is totally different than my car whcih has the v8TT. Ive used cherry bombs before on previous vehicles and my guess is it will be too loud for my daily driver.

I guess ill try the straight pipes and see how it sounds
thanks again
Any sound clip available for the V8TT with just removal of the center resonator and replaced with straight pipes?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM

E550
No i never took any. Sorry
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Merc CLS550
straight pipes or X pipes?

No i never took any. Sorry
Hoping to revive this thread
I recently had the resonator swapped for straight pipes on my CLS 550--2014 MY
IMO--it's too loud in the cabin for my taste. I like the boost in sound--but it's just overdone IMO with this modification
Would changing out the straight pipes for X pipe be a compromise solution for me? (still throatier than stock but not as loud as straight pipes)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 PM

2013 cls550 4matic
@citizensane I have the same car - 2013 CLS 550 and have had it ECU tuned (so worth the 2k), turned the car into a beast, it can keep up with the AMG I had before it. Exhaust is a bit too quite for my liking, but everyone seems to complain of droning when they replace the resonator with X pipe or H pipe (H pipe had less drone but sounded very similar to stock ) Does the car get noticebly louder and have a 'flutter' to the exhaust note with your straight pipes? I didnt mind the loud AMG but would like something in between the two, have you changed it since your post?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Merc CLS550
The straight pipes have a bit of a flutter at idle. I am still not confortable with how loud they are when you step on it. It's too hot rod sounding for my taste. At moderate acceleration it's fine. Actually--I think the insulation in this car is deficient. Am thinking if I could provide a sound barrier behind the backseats (fold down)--or maybe the floor of the trunk--that might take care of my loudness problem. But that sounds like a lot of work and potentially $
I bought an X pipe--thinking I'd try that in place of the straight pipes (but haven't gotten around to having it installed)---DO YOU THINK THAT WOULD QUITE ME DOWN A BIT?
Maybe I'll try the H pipe---?
I have actually thought about restoring it to stock--re install the resonator.
I was coming out of an Audi S5 and was really missing the exhaust note on that car (V8 version)---Since I've been in this car since May 17--maybe I'm "over" my fond memory of the Audi exhaust sound
What I really want is a middle ground between my straight pipes and the stock resonator (without spending big $ on a new exhaust/muffler solution)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
Old 01-09-2018, 04:29 PM

2013 cls550 4matic
Thanks for the reply so quick! I actually like the louder car sound so the straight pipes might be perfect. From what i have read in other forums with similar cars, the H pipe made it the quietest because there was no exhaust 'smashing' that happens in the flow over on the X pipe. The Exhaust of the 2010 E550 sounds good in the video, but I am concerned if I remove the mufflers as opposed to the single resonator, I will reduce the back pressure needed to keep the horsepower up from the turbos. I will contact ECU Tune that did my engine mods to see what they recommend (they have a Stage 2 ECU update but it requires downpipes with no cats and I dont want a stinky car)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM

E550
When I removed my resonator an replaced with an xpipe it sounded much quitter than straight pipes.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Merc CLS550
When I removed my resonator an replaced with an xpipe it sounded much quitter than straight pipes.
Would you judge it to be louder than the stock resonator---(and quieter than the straight pipes)?
sorry to be picky--but I'd rather not have to go through too many Midas Muffler shop trips and $
thanks!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM

E550
Your CLS 550 has different mufflers than my e550 so its hard for me to say. I can tell you this, the xpipe sounded like the stock resonator on my car and made no difference. Also, a buddy of mine had a 2012 cls550 with the resonator replaced with straight pipes and his car was louder than mine with the same exact modification. the resonator replaced with straight pipes on his cls weren't even noticeable when in the car. it wont be to loud
Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 PM

c class
I can Help you if you want write for me on private
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Merc CLS550
Originally Posted by sari shub
I can Help you if you want write for me on private
Tell me what the answer is
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM

c class
Originally Posted by citizensane
Tell me what the answer is

for C class w204 and any Retrofit Intelligent Xenon you need to add this control unit

this number A1669003401