GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Break Wear Sensor on with 80% Thread on Pads.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Exclamation Break Wear Sensor on with 80% Thread on Pads.

Hi All,

My Break Wear indicator on cluster is on since last week, and in fact I just got all 4 wheel discs and pads replaced along with new sensors last November and so far drove only 4-5000 miles and I looked at the pads removing both front and rear passenger side wheels and Pads\Rotors looks good with good amount of life on them.

And most important before the light came on I was able to hear a Tick\Click sound at highway traffic speed (20-30 MPH) when pressing the brake pedal at low speeds from front left, and after that I started getting Brake Wear message on the cluster occasionally, restarting the car would make the message disappear but now the message stays on and doesn't go off.

Not sure if I am right but if the sensor was bad it wouldn't have been intermittent.
Is it because of caliper which got stuck or pads from front wheel got loose and making that tick\click noise and got the sensor shot.

Anyways if any of you guys have faced this issue then please let me know.....
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 399 Likes on 335 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
A bit of guessing here.

Either the sensor or wiring is bad

or

Check to make sure the pad on the back side is not wearing unusually.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
correct.

wiring or your pass side rear caliper is sticking and the pad is gone.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM

2015 - GL 550
I couldn't decipher so I left it with the mechanic, but I still have a doubt why the message was intermittent and went off with restarting the car and what is that Tik\Click noise coming when I press the break paddle.. when the pads and rotors get heated up.

And plz correct me if I am wrong are you referring to caliper pins or caliper itself?

If you are referring to Caliper pins then this is the same mechanic who installed both Pads and Rotors so do I have to let him know he screwed it up by not lubing the caliper pins....
Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
The brake wear sensor looks to be a very simple circuit - the foot of it on the left in the picture below gets worn away when the pads get worn down.

My 2011 GL 350 has two sensors in the truck - one each on the passenger side front and rear hubs - I would think noise on the left side is likely not related to the sensor failure message.

Also on my 2011 GL 350 - the leads from the plug to the OEM sensor were not covered in a protective sheath like the aftermarket wear sensor in the picture below. If you are getting an intermittent failure - I can imagine two causes - you could have an intermittent short if the insulation has worn off one of the leads. Or you could have an intermittent open circuit if the plug is not completely plugged in or one of the leads is broken.

In either case - it's very simple to swap out a new sensor. About a 20 minute job and it's a $5 part. If you are a DIY type, see one of the threads here on brake pad replacement - the sensor just clips onto the outside pad.

Clicking noise when braking could be lots of things - improperly seated / installed pads, caliper sticking, caliper loose (ok that would be scary) - should be easy to see if you take the wheel off and start inspecting / wiggling things.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 AM

2015 - GL 550
My mechanic too had a hard time finding the issue, he said he removed the sensors, and the cluster was still displaying the Break Wear message so he was suggesting removing the cluster and look at it (Wiring & Circuits) that made me little confused and I felt did he really did something or just shooting bullets in the air because he was darn busy when I walked in, so I was like give the car back, and I dropped it off at another Indy mechanic just to see what he feels about it and if he also can't figure out, then it is going to visit the dealer....I will update the post tomorrow afternoon once I hear something from this guy....

So far looking at the other posts, they said the pads wear out inner side not sure what that means, and the clicking\tick noise I am suspecting may be a loose or improperly installed pad....Hope I am right else that caliper thing would leave a big hole in my pocket.....
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Do not remove cluster. Nothing to see there in your case.

If pads are good check sensor (in place) for continuity. If good look upstream.

Btw, look for a different mechanic.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 399 Likes on 335 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
. . . .
So far looking at the other posts, they said the pads wear out inner side not sure what that means, . . . ......
What is being said is that if the caliper is not free to float, or a piston hangs up and does not release,
then sometimes one pad will wear down much faster than the other, usually the inside pad.
That can be missed when someone looks at the outside pad only when checking the brakes.

If the caliper is hung up that pad can wear very fast and be gone destroying the rotor before you know it.

Better?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM

2015 - GL 550
OK! I got a call from this mechanic too and looks like he too is having hard time figuring out. As per the receptionist what the mechanic conveyed her she too is saying she thinks its some electrical problem which is causing the message to trigger and it is not the sensors as they tried it with new sensors and also tried with removing the sensors from both front and back....So they got the approval for another couple of hours from me to nail down the issue. And for that annoying tick\click noise they think its the pad but again not sure....

Looks like after shelling few hundreds in labor only I still have to go to the dealer...I am sick of this GL now.....Kept it like pampered baby but she is being BYATCH to me....
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM

2015 - GL 550
Good News :- Brake Wear message is gone Kudos to the Mechanic who didn't gave up so easily, he said it turned out to be the rear wire which goes from pad sensor to the electronic unit which got corroded and broke off, and the issue was not with the Brake Pad sensor what we was assuming so far, so he ended up fixing it with the connector and a wire and all things are back to normal, except the noise he says its the pads so probably I will drive it another few hundred miles and if it doesn't go off, I will end up replacing the pads itself.