Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GL Class (X166)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Drives: GL450
Parktronic and Active Parking Assist

Hello,
I'm new to MB. Recently, I have purchased a 2013 GL450. So far, the car is awesome. I'm a bit confused of how the Parktronic and Active Parking Assist work. Is there anything that I need to do to enable these features? I notice that there is a device on my dashboard that has lights moving back and forth. If the front of the car is close to an object, it beeps. Is this the Parktronic? The reason I'm confused is that if I put my car in reverse, I don't see the lights moving back and forth and it never beeps. It's possible that I have not backed up close enough to an object for it to go off. Is there anything else to it?
As for the Active Parking Assist, how exactly does it work? I haven't had a chance to parallel park yet, but do I need to do anything to activate it? It's supposed to kind of park the car for you?
I'm asking since I don't see any explanation in the manual. My dealer also didn't explain/show me how they work. Thanks in advance.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

mattw023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: A gaggle of MB's
My advice...

Yes - the :light bar" on the front dash is the indicator front Parktronic - and if you look in the center rear view mirror the "light bar" on the ceiling in the rear (visible when you look in the mirror) is the indicator for the rear Parktronic.

I would suggest you go to the mbusa.com website, in the upper right corner under customer support - download and save pdf copies of both your Owners Manual and COMAND manual for future reference.

Have a look at this video which gives you a overview of Parking Assistance even if your GL does not have Surround Camera:

fabbrisd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Drives: GL450
Thank you. That's helpful.
mattw023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2013 GL450 Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011 GL450 , 2000 Yukon, 1994 Suburban, 2005 Corvette and others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Yes - the :light bar" on the front dash is the indicator front Parktronic - and if you look in the center rear view mirror the "light bar" on the ceiling in the rear (visible when you look in the mirror) is the indicator for the rear Parktronic.

I would suggest you go to the mbusa.com website, in the upper right corner under customer support - download and save pdf copies of both your Owners Manual and COMAND manual for future reference.

Have a look at this video which gives you a overview of Parking Assistance even if your GL does not have Surround Camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUqj_IHYp0
Fab....

is there a you tube site where more of these video demos on the GL can be seen?? This one was very good! I noticed he was talking at the end about "showing us how the GL does off-road"..... I would like to see that one!
2013 GL450 Cinnibar red over black leather and dark satin ash wood. P2 package, Driver Asst. Pack, Parking Asst. Pack., Off Road Pack, Lighting Pack., Distronic Plus, Multi Contour Seats w/massage, trailer pack., etc.
blittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2013 GL450 Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011 GL450 , 2000 Yukon, 1994 Suburban, 2005 Corvette and others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw023 View Post
Hello,
I'm new to MB. Recently, I have purchased a 2013 GL450. So far, the car is awesome. I'm a bit confused of how the Parktronic and Active Parking Assist work. Is there anything that I need to do to enable these features? I notice that there is a device on my dashboard that has lights moving back and forth. If the front of the car is close to an object, it beeps. Is this the Parktronic? The reason I'm confused is that if I put my car in reverse, I don't see the lights moving back and forth and it never beeps. It's possible that I have not backed up close enough to an object for it to go off. Is there anything else to it?
As for the Active Parking Assist, how exactly does it work? I haven't had a chance to parallel park yet, but do I need to do anything to activate it? It's supposed to kind of park the car for you?
I'm asking since I don't see any explanation in the manual. My dealer also didn't explain/show me how they work. Thanks in advance.
I don't have my GL as yet.... but I did order the Parking Assist Package... so, I have read the manual ( on line ) and there is a section in there on how the active parking asst. works and what you have to do to activate it. As has been noted..... there is a "light bar" above the tailgate that activates as you back up to something....similar to the one on your dashboard. The parking assistance does need to be activiated and ... at least in my opinion.... is something that needs to be "understood" clearly by the driver before using.
2013 GL450 Cinnibar red over black leather and dark satin ash wood. P2 package, Driver Asst. Pack, Parking Asst. Pack., Off Road Pack, Lighting Pack., Distronic Plus, Multi Contour Seats w/massage, trailer pack., etc.
blittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
David Naghdi DavidNaghdi DavidNaghdi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blittle View Post
Fab....

is there a you tube site where more of these video demos on the GL can be seen?? This one was very good! I noticed he was talking at the end about "showing us how the GL does off-road"..... I would like to see that one!
MB USA covers safety tech in general , your best bet would be to simply search what your looking for, not allot available yet from what I've seen
cookstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

Drives: '04 CL55 AMG / 72 Blown 340 Duster / Chevy Metro
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUqj_IHYp0
by the way - there's no Customer Support Button on their website.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!

Upper right hand corner "Owners" button - drop down menu "Owners Support" - be adventurous if you want to be a happy MB owner..
Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Drives: C280 Avantgard 2008
Hello
I own a mercedes w204, c280 avantgard 2008 fitted originally with parktronic.
I am wondering if there is a possibility of fitting the new active park assist system on it.
Thanks for your help
hossam591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!

No upgrades for 2008 Mercedes - actually 2014 cannot be "upgraded" after manufacture either..
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #11

Drives: BMW Z4, GL350
Check this youtube

Last edited by AJZ4; 03-12-2014 at 01:59 AM.
AJZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Drives: C280 Avantgard 2008
Quote:
No upgrades for 2008 Mercedes - actually 2014 cannot be "upgraded" after manufacture either..
My dear freind, first I want to thank you for your reply, but actually I'm wondering at what basis you are saying that.
For example my car when I did recieve it it was not fitted with navigation system but later on a retro fit kit of universal multimedia module
Was there to be fitted included satnav plus the new manufactured cd20 navigation system which is fully compatible with my fitted audio system.
Accordingly I don't think that what are you saying is right unless you know that from a mercedes official.
Thanks
hossam591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Tags
55, active, amg, assist, class, clk, explained, full, gl450, leat, mercedes, park, parking, parktronic, turn, w212