GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Pro's and Con's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Honda Civic
Pro's and Con's

Hello guys,

So I'm planning to buy a used, cpo, 2013 Mercedes gl450 in the upcoming future as I need a family vehicle. As I do with all cars I Look into, I researched them and made my own pros and cons list; but I would also like to get the input of current owners. The more/specific the info, the better.

Thanks guys, Cheers

Sri

Last edited by srivat036; 08-31-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: forgot to mention that its 2013
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - I suggest you drive and compare the other 7-passenger ultra-luxury SUV's - such as Escalade, Infinity, Lexus - and make your decision based on what you feel "right" about.

Frankly - my personal options - the GL is the quietest, smoothest, and gives awesoem driving and passenger comfort - and the other "can" offer additional passenger room - but sacrifice road driveability and comfort.

It's your decision to make - and look forward to the comparitive experience to make your own judgement.

frankly - the new generation GL 2013 forward can be viewed as the price/value leader by many -

It's up to you - have fun with it - keep the beat !
Old 08-31-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Honda Civic
Hi , thanks for the reply. Could you please xplain "additional passenger room"? Is the GL too small in some areas of the interior?

Thanks

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure - I suggest you drive and compare the other 7-passenger ultra-luxury SUV's - such as Escalade, Infinity, Lexus - and make your decision based on what you feel "right" about.

Frankly - my personal options - the GL is the quietest, smoothest, and gives awesoem driving and passenger comfort - and the other "can" offer additional passenger room - but sacrifice road driveability and comfort.

It's your decision to make - and look forward to the comparitive experience to make your own judgement.

frankly - the new generation GL 2013 forward can be viewed as the price/value leader by many -

It's up to you - have fun with it - keep the beat !
Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Feel free to go explore the competitive models - have fun !
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by srivat036
Hello guys,

So I'm planning to buy a used, cpo, 2013 Mercedes gl450 in the upcoming future as I need a family vehicle. As I do with all cars I Look into, I researched them and made my own pros and cons list; but I would also like to get the input of current owners. The more/specific the info, the better.

Thanks guys, Cheers

Sri
I bought a 2013 cpo earlier this year in April and been loving it. Despite a few minor issues found within the first two months(rear vent not adjustable, squeaky driver seat, broken rear door actuator) but I think it's to blame the dealer's precertified testing. I have a friend who used to deal with the cpo there and the owner treated them like crap so the techs didn't give or care too much. Their attitude was people can bring back the car for warranty issues.
Been happy with the car ever since. I'm curious as to how this baby handles in the winter snow and ice.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
For me.........The Escalade and Infiniti are too 'truck like'. The Lexus is old technology but a comfortable ride. The GL offers the best price/value relationship.
Go drive all of them and I'd include the Yukon Denali in this group.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Like everyone said, go test drive them. Only you know what you want. There aren't a whole lot of true 7 passenger luxury SUVs out there. Having said that, here's my personal take.
We've owned both Infiniti 7 passenger SUVs (JX35 and QX56, aka QX60 and QX80). The engine and the CVT transmission on the QX60 are worthless, IMO. It's very underpowered and the CVT constantly searches for that right gear; it's very annoying. I personally loved the QX80. It was roomy with a pretty decent engine. The wife thought it felt "too big to drive" so we got rid of it after only a year. Both of the Infinitis didn't handle as nice as the GL but the ride was pretty good. The infinitis have way more tech gadgets than the GL, especially the user friendly navigation. The interior in both Infinitis were very nice.
I've never liked Escalades (looks and size) so we didn't bother test driving them. Body on frame, from my experience, rides too "truck-like". The Lexus is nice but it's a reeeeeally old design and it's a truck-like SUV.
I personally like Audis, more than bimmers and MBs. The Q7 is not a true 7 passenger SUV. The 3rd row seats are for height challenged people and small children. Again, it's an old design and that was another turn off. The next gen Q7 looks promising but remains to be seen. Then you have the Land Rovers; they are not true 7 passenger SUVs but very nice. I can definitely see myself in a Ranger Rover Sport 5.0 V8 Supercharged. Okay, that's for later in my life when the kids are all grown up.
We are on our 3rd GL ('09 GL450, '11 GL350-love the TDI torque, and now '15 GL450). I think it's a perfect 7 passenger luxury SUV. It's safe and it has all of the creature comforts. It seats most of the 7 passengers comfortably; just a note-there is no perfect third row comfort, though it's not bad at all in the GL. It's my wife's soccer mom-mobile. She loves driving it because it drives "small", so she says. Hey, as long as she's happy, I'm cool with that. It's also good for family road trips and the 4matic does well in snow for those annual ski trips. It's definitely not the most reliable SUV out there but we've been very happy with our X166. It's as good as it gets, I suppose. Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 09-03-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
You may find this post of interest from when I was going through a similar buying decision. Best to go drive them and see what works for you.

Good luck and have fun!

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post6526410