GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

My new GL550 (with pix) !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
My new GL550 (with pix) !!

Hi all - I wanted to introduce my new GL550!

After much deliberation, I decided to just bite the bullet when a great deal presented itself. I handed back our leased 2013 GL450 (really loved that car) using the MB lease pull ahead and picked up this beauty.

Here's the build:

GL550
755 Steel Grey Metallic
201 Black Leather
SPC Special Order
U09 MB-Tex Wrapped Lower Dashboard (SPC)
289 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
293 Rear Side Airbags (SPC)
297 Manual 2nd Row Sunshades
413 Panorama Sunroof
441 Telescoping Steering Column
468 ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM
550 Trailer Hitch
610 Night View Assist PLUS (SPC)
731 Burl Walnut Wood Trim
757 21" AMG Twin 5-spoke wheel
841 Multi-layer windows 1st seat row
843 Power EASY-ENTRY
848 Power Rear Quarter Windows
866 Pre-Wiring for Rear Seat Entertainment
867 SPLITVIEW (SPC)
872 Heated 2nd-row seats with rear climate control
980 980 Accessory Chrome Package: Chrome Door
133 : Hood Fin Covers
070 : Chrome Door Handle Inserts
997 997 Driver Assistance Package: DISTRONIC
238 : Active Lane Keeping Assist
237 : Active Blind Spot Assist
233 : DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE BRAKE
23P : Driver Assistance Package

And here's the pix:

My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg5_zpsj9ru3dtt.jpg

My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg2_zpsrvprm18x.jpg

My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg3_zpsclvmr81a.jpg

My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg1_zpsemzmkplj.jpg
My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg3_zpsn0bfp3mm.jpg
My new GL550 (with pix) !!-image.jpg1_zpsivqz8su1.jpg

Still exploring all the options. It came with a couple I wouldn't have ordered (eg night view assist), but my main have to have was the Active Curve. Best bang for your buck option has to be the MB-Tex Wrapped Lower Dashboard - looks fantastic!

With the GL550 set up and Active Curve - huge improvement over the GL450.

Had a great sales experience with MB of Fremont - top notch outfit and a very responsive salesperson (Kate Decosta).

Also, special thanks to those who helped with info along the way, particularly Fab!

Last edited by Dalema; 08-15-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 AM

GL550
As I mentioned a lot of deliberation went into this. My wife loved the GL450 - if it had more of the options we wanted, we would have just bought it.

This was a difficult decision due to the 2017 model refresh next year, the GL450 dumping the V8 for the V6 and the current GL looking a little dated inside.

As I posted before (now updated) I went out and drove a few other cars for comparisons sake:

- Cadillac Escalade: wife (and kids) initially LOVED the interior and the size. Drove rough like a truck (bumpy) and felt very heavy, even with the trick suspension. I'd need to join the NFL for my wife to drive it. Pricey for a GM truck.

- Cayenne GTS: oh baby, does this thing perform, it's all about performance! Looks sweet in the GTS configuration. I enjoy the interior but that maybe just due to its familiarity. It is smaller too. Best handling out of them all, but that comes with more road noise in the cabin with tire noise and is firmer. At the end of the day a bit too small and costly when loaded with options.

- Range Rover Sport SCV8: for such a big vehicle, but it doesn't seem to transition into interior room. The supercharged engine is a hoot, undeniable off-road prowess. Drove a bit top heavy and noisier in the cabin than the GL. Interior nicely appointed but I don't like the steering wheel. Would describe the ride as skittish. Strong contender just to have had one for a while. Dealers didn't want to move off MSRP. If it was a car just for me, I may have tried one of these out.

- Volvo XC90: this put the cat amongst the pigeons. Brand new, very fresh design inside and out. Wife initially didn't want to drive it, which was pretty funny in front of the SA. Then we did and it is very nice inside - the center screen is just like an iPad and clear winner, the std panorama roof is beautiful. It also has 2 seats in the third row. It just comes across as smaller. We parked it next to the GL and it isn't that different. Here's the problem - the engine. It's a supercharged, turbo charged 4 cylinder. Sounds like a sewing machine. There is a hybrid coming out that bolts on an electric driving motor to the back that takes it up to 400hp, and gives you 20miles of pure EV driving. I just couldn't get my head around the engine - just didn't have the guts / torque, particularly for overtaking, but the interior design and all the tech made it a tough decision. At the end of the day, the engine, the fact it just felt smaller and tighter inside and the dealers looking to create fake demand and trying to charge MSRP didn't make it a winner. That, and it is a Volvo.

- Audi Q7: new model, didn't drive it

- MB GL450: thought of doing a short term lease, but after driving it the V6 just doesn't cut it. Not much better than the Volvo's.

- MB GL550: as I mentioned it feels a little dated inside (love the aggressive exterior still) and the 2017 refresh was a concern. At the end of the day, the GL550 just felt more solid, more planted, more comfortable, more roomy and the TTV8 is just great. With the Active Curve and it checked the boxes for our family. Add in a great deal, well below invoice, and we jumped on it.

Hope that helps if people are going through a similar decision process.

Last edited by Dalema; 08-14-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Congrats...very nice car.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Congrats very nice car and more important is the way it is configured, awesome configuration. I initially wasn't a big fan of Steel Grey but for some reason that color is getting over me, because I been tried with my Black (040) as black is only a 6 Footer color the more you come close and see it, the more you start hating Black.
Anyway again congrats the car looks awesome, do you mind putting some close pictures of Wrapped Dash and Door panels as I am very much interested getting that option for my next build. And also the split view pics.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450 Porcelain
Congrats! ACS is a must-have. Enjoy your ride. lol
Old 08-14-2015, 12:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Congratulations on your new GL550! Looks like a great purchase.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
what a beauty!!!!

I ordered my GL from FJ in Fremont as well. We have bought 3 cars from Glenn Hartzheim now - followed him from 2 other dealerships.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 PM

GL550
Question on tires. What experience do people have wth the 21s and the OEM tires in the snow?

Any recommendations for alternate tire or wheel tire packages?

I'm in CA, so only encounter snow when up in Tahoe ie dedicated snow tires probably not the best idea.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:58 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Congrats very nice car and more important is the way it is configured, awesome configuration. I initially wasn't a big fan of Steel Grey but for some reason that color is getting over me, because I been tried with my Black (040) as black is only a 6 Footer color the more you come close and see it, the more you start hating Black.
Anyway again congrats the car looks awesome, do you mind putting some close pictures of Wrapped Dash and Door panels as I am very much interested getting that option for my next build. And also the split view pics.

Thanks
Thanks! Our GL450 was black, enough said. The Steel Grey looks a lot less blue than in the iPhone photos above. I like it as I think the darker colors help the lines stand out, contrast the chrome add ons and looks more aggressive. Looking forward to it not showing the dirt as much.

I posted a shot of the lower wrapped dash above - the stitching extends around under the climate controls. Looks real nice with the contrasting stitching. Would probably cost +$1,000 on some other brands (ahem Porsche).

Haven't tried the split screen yet - but it appears more "glossy" to look at.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:02 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by francotse
Congrats! ACS is a must-have. Enjoy your ride. lol
Thank you, and I agree on the ACS, really makes it a better driver.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Congratulations on your new GL550! Looks like a great purchase.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by baldmike73
what a beauty!!!!

I ordered my GL from FJ in Fremont as well. We have bought 3 cars from Glenn Hartzheim now - followed him from 2 other dealerships.
Thanks! I had forgotten that. I don't often enjoy buying a car, but once I connected with them, it was a pleasant experience.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:03 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Thank you!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 PM

2013 Audi A7 Prestige, 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL 550
The thing is, hows insurance on that compared to the 450? We might not have the same insurance provider but still, just give me a rough estimate.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL350
Congrats!
The steel grey looks great!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Lookin@Mercedes
The thing is, hows insurance on that compared to the 450? We might not have the same insurance provider but still, just give me a rough estimate.
I think the premium increased around $100 / 6 months. Probably because the car is worth a lot more.

Last edited by Dalema; 08-17-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

GL 350
Nice write up

Originally Posted by Dalema
As I mentioned a lot of deliberation went into this. My wife loved the GL450 - if it had more of the options we wanted, we would have just bought it.

This was a difficult decision due to the 2017 model refresh next year, the GL450 dumping the V8 for the V6 and the current GL looking a little dated inside.

As I posted before (now updated) I went out and drove a few other cars for comparisons sake:

- Cadillac Escalade: wife (and kids) initially LOVED the interior and the size. Drove rough like a truck (bumpy) and felt very heavy, even with the trick suspension. I'd need to join the NFL for my wife to drive it. Pricey for a GM truck.

- Cayenne GTS: oh baby, does this thing perform, it's all about performance! Looks sweet in the GTS configuration. I enjoy the interior but that maybe just due to its familiarity. It is smaller too. Best handling out of them all, but that comes with more road noise in the cabin with tire noise and is firmer. At the end of the day a bit too small and costly when loaded with options.

- Range Rover Sport SCV8: for such a big vehicle, but it doesn't seem to transition into interior room. The supercharged engine is a hoot, undeniable off-road prowess. Drove a bit top heavy and noisier in the cabin than the GL. Interior nicely appointed but I don't like the steering wheel. Would describe the ride as skittish. Strong contender just to have had one for a while. Dealers didn't want to move off MSRP. If it was a car just for me, I may have tried one of these out.

- Volvo XC90: this put the cat amongst the pigeons. Brand new, very fresh design inside and out. Wife initially didn't want to drive it, which was pretty funny in front of the SA. Then we did and it is very nice inside - the center screen is just like an iPad and clear winner, the std panorama roof is beautiful. It also has 2 seats in the third row. It just comes across as smaller. We parked it next to the GL and it isn't that different. Here's the problem - the engine. It's a supercharged, turbo charged 4 cylinder. Sounds like a sewing machine. There is a hybrid coming out that bolts on an electric driving motor to the back that takes it up to 400hp, and gives you 20miles of pure EV driving. I just couldn't get my head around the engine - just didn't have the guts / torque, particularly for overtaking, but the interior design and all the tech made it a tough decision. At the end of the day, the engine, the fact it just felt smaller and tighter inside and the dealers looking to create fake demand and trying to charge MSRP didn't make it a winner. That, and it is a Volvo.

- Audi Q7: new model, didn't drive it

- MB GL450: thought of doing a short term lease, but after driving it the V6 just doesn't cut it. Not much better than the Volvo's.

- MB GL550: as I mentioned it feels a little dated inside (love the aggressive exterior still) and the 2017 refresh was a concern. At the end of the day, the GL550 just felt more solid, more planted, more comfortable, more roomy and the TTV8 is just great. With the Active Curve and it checked the boxes for our family. Add in a great deal, well below invoice, and we jumped on it.

Hope that helps if people are going through a similar decision process.
Noticed the familiarity comment regarding the Cayenne +1

I have a 991 manual as my DD and I too opted for a GL amongst all the options. I figured if you're going to have an SUV, it better be big and comfortable. We had an X5 V8 sport pack and an X6 and those are awesome cars if its your only ride as they are 80% sport sedan and 20% SUV. Same with the Cayenne.

Enjoy the GL its beautiful.

DRP
Old 08-18-2015, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I was glad you made this choice. I've driven the Escalade and while it is big and roomy, it doesn't handle anywhere near as good as a GL550. So you made a wise choice IMO. Your new 550 looks great. The AMG appearance package makes all of the difference.

I get so many compliments and thumbs up from other drivers about our 550. Maybe you've got some compliments already. The best feature of the 550 for me is the comfortable driving position, comfortable seats, and great get-up-and-go from the bi-turbo V8!

Congrats and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:27 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by Lone Star Benz
Congrats!
The steel grey looks great!
Thanks - I'm really liking the color!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:54 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by JoeMa
I was glad you made this choice. I've driven the Escalade and while it is big and roomy, it doesn't handle anywhere near as good as a GL550. So you made a wise choice IMO. Your new 550 looks great. The AMG appearance package makes all of the difference.

I get so many compliments and thumbs up from other drivers about our 550. Maybe you've got some compliments already. The best feature of the 550 for me is the comfortable driving position, comfortable seats, and great get-up-and-go from the bi-turbo V8!

Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks! It looks great with the AMG package - a lot more aggressive looking. Haven't really wound out the engine yet as I take care of it for the first few thousand miles, but it pulls really hard. Definitely a step up from the 13 GL and noticeably different to the V6.

Funny you mention the seats - unexpected improvement for sure - you can really dial them in with all the adjustment. Lot of standard features on the 550 that are great.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by drpesq
Noticed the familiarity comment regarding the Cayenne +1

I have a 991 manual as my DD and I too opted for a GL amongst all the options. I figured if you're going to have an SUV, it better be big and comfortable. We had an X5 V8 sport pack and an X6 and those are awesome cars if its your only ride as they are 80% sport sedan and 20% SUV. Same with the Cayenne.

Enjoy the GL its beautiful.

DRP
991.1 manual

Thanks - more we drive it, the more we are enjoying it.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GL550 is a great daily driver. Quiet and comfortable yet all that power when you want or need it. And a great looking SUV to boot without the need to use any bling (Escalade, I'm looking at you).
Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
GORGEOUS! great color too

would you mind me asking what was the MSRP and how much below invoice you got? we are considering what to do with our lease coming due in May '16. my mileage is ending up lower than expected, so my inclination is to buy it out, but if there are deals to be had maybe we will lease another one. i don't know whether 2017 refresh will be available by the Spring, but if the '16 is going to be hugely discounted, i'd consider it!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 PM

BMW X5
I am interested as well. We are considering a GL and trying to debate if we should do the 450 or the 550. We saw a great 2015 GL550 demo with only 4000 miles. The dealer was willing to knock $10K off the sticker ($95K) but still a pricey car. Especially for a mom! Wondering if we should do a 2016 GL450 or go with the GL550.

Love the steel grey! Wondering if I should reconsider the color as well. Currently looking at black GL's.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbmommy77
I am interested as well. We are considering a GL and trying to debate if we should do the 450 or the 550. We saw a great 2015 GL550 demo with only 4000 miles. The dealer was willing to knock $10K off the sticker ($95K) but still a pricey car. Especially for a mom! Wondering if we should do a 2016 GL450 or go with the GL550.

Love the steel grey! Wondering if I should reconsider the color as well. Currently looking at black GL's.
The AMG appearance package on the GL 550 makes the truck really pop and it looks great in black. The GL 450 is very nice as well but a little more generic looking. Either way you'll be happy but I'd recommend the 550. You'll just love it and will get many compliments from friends and other motorists.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM

2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
Congrats on the truck.

On the Escalade part, The Yukon Denali is like the Escalade with the same engine and such and price is maxed at $82k, but lot less than the Escalade.