Sponsored By:

GLE350 4Matic up shift choke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
GLE350 4Matic up shift choke

I noticed that when I floor it on a slight hill it shifts to 2nd but then when it shifts to 3rd it chokes it's weird to describe the transmission literally clunks in to 3rd and there is a jolt and loss of power for about a sec. As if the tranny doesn't know what to do and it gets confused. It's a very unpleasant experience and don't know what to do about the problem as I know that the dealer won't be able to do much about it. Anyone else had the same thing happen ?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Yup. You're not alone. I noticed this too. I also noticed after waiting to, let's say, exiting a parking lot or gas station, and I accelerate to quickly get into traffic, the tranny shifts into 1st, 2nd then "clunks" into 3rd as well.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
same drivetrain here....i have the clunky 3-4 shift.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
that's sad that MB would put out a POS like that. I will bring this to my dealership tomorrow. it's unacceptable.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350 4matic
I have the same issue with my 2016 GLE350 4matic. The best way to describe the problem is when I'm looking for a parking spot in a lot at low speeds (between 10-15mph) in 2nd gear; every time I tap the pedal to give it a little gas (even if it doesn't shift to 3rd) I hear a little thud. I can also describe it as an upshift choke. This car is so new, it should not be acting like this. I have a 2002 Lexus with 170K miles and it still shifts smooth as butter. Brought the GLE into dealer and they "reset the learning for the transmission" which honestly didn't do anything. Anyone with the same issue? Solutions?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Yep. It's a known issue with this POS transmission( I remember reading a post about it, I will try to find it). . I dropped this clunker off at the dealership today to fix (5 different problems not related to the transmission) and another lady had the same complaints about the shifting. I've been to 3 dealerships, none of them have any idea whats happening and keep telling me its "normal"...**** off MB. No code firing (Even though I had a catastrophic error on the highway, it never once registered, so I don't trust their sensors and monitors)

With that being said, replace your tires. It sounds "simple", but if youre running the stock continentals they are not firm enough nor do they have enough traction for this vehicle. I threw on some Michelin defenders on there (two separate costco stores recommended over the premiers which are a bit softer) and while the problem is not completely gone, it is much less noticeable (you can now feeeeeel the acceleration in sport mode and it's not searching for gears as much).

This is ancedotal evidence, but what I think is happening is the 4matic system senses the wheels are slipping and kills the power without actually activating the symbol on the dash. The tires have definitely made the car not nearly as frustrating to drive.

For those that just picked up a GLE, cancel your order or trade out for another company. Mercedes screwed this vehicle up big time with no intention of even acknowledging the problems--can't speak for other models. This is not a problem that can be fixed at the dealership or with software update--it's a mechanical flaw in the design of the transmission. It's there for life.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Roni07
I noticed that when I floor it on a slight hill it shifts to 2nd but then when it shifts to 3rd it chokes it's weird to describe the transmission literally clunks in to 3rd and there is a jolt and loss of power for about a sec. As if the tranny doesn't know what to do and it gets confused. It's a very unpleasant experience and don't know what to do about the problem as I know that the dealer won't be able to do much about it. Anyone else had the same thing happen ?

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/722-9-7...ems-solutions/. If the GLE uses the 722.9 7g tronic, then there's no hope for any of us.

This is a list of common problems with the 7-speed 722.9xx transmission:
Transmission does not shift gears or work properly until it warms up.
Delayed or unpredicted shifting of gears. Upgrading the TCU software and resetting the transmission shift points may solve this problem. You will need either the dealer or an auto repair shop that has Mercedes Star Diagnostic C3 or C4 scanner.
Transmission slips between 1st and 2nd gear. As soon as this is detected by the TCU, transmission goes into limp mode. Turning off and then off the engine may temporarily return the transmission to normal operation.
Conductor plate defective. Replacement required which can cost between $2000-$3000. The first generation of the 722.9 may require the replacement of the valve body as well.
Accelerating from a stop light can cause the car to get stuck in 2nd gear, limp mode.
Standing water in contact with the housing can cause damage to the transmission housing if left in contact for several weeks.
Hard shifting trasnmission problems.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Does the GLE in US still come with the 7 speed auto ?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by yavor
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...nt=model-specs

From what it looks like, yes, just not sure if its the 722.9 or a different model--their trannys seem to only change the last digit.

I spoke with a 3rd party guy who deals with only european cars and he said this vehicle is too new for them to have worked on it, so he isn't sure what the problem may be. He did say however to call MBUSA and give them all this info; he said often times they will provide you with the LI and numbers that the dealership needs to follow. The dealerships are not required to provide updates, only recalls. This vehicle has 3 "updates" which are optional, they are deemed as "LI ######".

I found one for the moldy smell (perm fix) and the guy I just spoke with gave me one called "single throttle lift off clunking noise from side shaft". Basically,when you shift gears you get an audible clunk and the fix is " LI 33.30-p-056665; version 3; design group 33.30 final drive, differential,drive shaft. All MB with 4x4. "

I literally just asked the dealership for any more of these and they told me there aren't any...I'll be calling MBUSA today after work.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:01 PM

2016 GLE350 4matic
So far the GLE350s (up to 2018) are still fitted with 7g-Tronic 7-speed transmissions. I'm starting to regret my purchase. Though I'm glad I purchased their extended warranty, I have doubts that it'll be of any use during it's effective period (things always seem to break after their warranty expires). I'll take your recommendation and try different tires when the Continentals are finished.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tomhui
So far the GLE350s (up to 2018) are still fitted with 7g-Tronic 7-speed transmissions. I'm starting to regret my purchase. Though I'm glad I purchased their extended warranty, I have doubts that it'll be of any use during it's effective period (things always seem to break after their warranty expires). I'll take your recommendation and try different tires when the Continentals are finished.
Unfortunately, that's how I felt when I hit 10k miles and everything started to become noticeable in terms of the shifting. I just got off the phone with the dealer and basically, none of the dealerships give 2 ****s because "we don't get paid for it"...**** off, you ALREADY got paid. Now do your job. They outright refused to reflash all of my software to the newest, "we can only do something if you have problems"...uhhhmmmm I just spent an hour explaining all the problems! So yea, the dealerships aren't going to do anything about this. If you can return this vehicle, do it today; the warranty means jack **** unfortunately for this problem. In terms of the tires, the conti's finished for me at 10-15k miles. Seriously, that was it. If I knew they were this bad even new, I would have replaced them right away.

Just for reference, this is what Mercedes thinks should be standard on a $60k vehicle. Look at these ratings!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...V&autoModClar=
Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE 350d 2016
Originally Posted by yavor
my old ml had the crappy 7spd
my 2016 gle350d has the 9spd and I like it very much.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:26 PM

2016 GLE350 4matic
Originally Posted by Diabel
my old ml had the crappy 7spd
my 2016 gle350d has the 9spd and I like it very much.
They don't sell the Diesels here in the USA. None of the 3 non-AMG GLE's sold here have the 9g Tronic transmissions, yet.