GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How to remove parking light bulb ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
How to remove parking light bulb ??

How do you remove the parking light 194 bulb it's so ugly i want to change it to a differnet color but i can't get it out! anyone care to explain how?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Hey

its pretty simple

open the hood

take off the black plastic cover so that you can access the lights

once the plastic cover is removed then you should be able to access your lights

sorry I didnt take pics when I replaced my parking bulb with LED's

try and let me know how it goes
Old 05-31-2009, 04:44 PM

GLK-350
Originally Posted by MadLorGLK
Hey

its pretty simple

open the hood

take off the black plastic cover so that you can access the lights

once the plastic cover is removed then you should be able to access your lights

sorry I didnt take pics when I replaced my parking bulb with LED's

try and let me know how it goes
what leds do you get to replace the parking bulb without error message, and could you take a pic to see what it looks like. thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Originally Posted by Manback
what leds do you get to replace the parking bulb without error message, and could you take a pic to see what it looks like. thanks

Just go to this site

www.ijdmtoy.com

email the owner, his name is Eric

Tell him you have a GLK and you want the same parking LEDs lights that he sold to the guy with the black GLK,

its $29, its pretty good quality, no error

sorry, I should have taken a picture of it but I think he has pictures on his website of the LEDs

hope this helps

let me know if you cant find it
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM

GLK 320cdi Edition1
MadlorGLK : when you replaced the parking bulb, you don't have error message ?

and what bulb have you replace by led's on your car ?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ruiyu
MadlorGLK : when you replaced the parking bulb, you don't have error message ?

and what bulb have you replace by led's on your car ?
Sorry, I lost my receipt with the name of the LEDs but just go to this site
www.ijdmtoy.com and email Eric he's the owner

Tell him what you need, tells him its for the GLK and he will know which LEDs to get for you.

I replaced the eyelid light bulbs, parking lights, license plate lights and all of my interior lights (trunk, dome lights, vanity, map lights, rear dome lights,) with LEDs

The only thing I forgot to repllace is the light in the glove compartment and the one on the trunk, on the door itself not the one in the trunk compartment.

Only thing left in terms of lighting is to get HID's for the fog lights, just change the bulbs of the Hi beam.

Last edited by MadLorGLK; 05-31-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 PM

GLK
still can't figure it out got high beam out but still don't know how to get eh parking bulb out do i just pull? i don't want to braek anything
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 AM

i pulled the parking lights by their wires

pull at the same time as pinching that little clip in the back of the parking lights

You know what actually maybe not pinch but spread apart

Like I said it took a few hours of playing around with the lights before I somehow figured out how to do it

good luck
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

GLK 350 4matic
MadlorGLK, may I recom you to change your name to GLKlightbulbguru?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Honestly, Take it to someone who does this everyday. My guy at 212 Motoring did the parking lights in about 5 min. I had all my lights done by them, Main Xenons, parking lite, and top eybrow light.

Last edited by Sean76NYC; 06-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM

GLK 320cdi Edition1
MadLorGLK : have you take some pic's of yours led's ?

because i want to order some leds, but i want to see how they look
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM

GLK 320cdi Edition1
Hi guy's !

How to remove the light bulb under the door ?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:24 PM

2006 C280
i wouldn't pull by the wires... I got mine out by using some thin pliers and pulling horizontally on the sides of the parking light bulb holder. Yes, it is very frustrating and tiny to get into.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
Honestly, Take it to someone who does this everyday. My guy at 212 Motoring did the parking lights in about 5 min. I had all my lights done by them, Main Xenons, parking lite, and top eybrow light.
Did you upgrade you regular head light to xenons? Is the xenons light actually look the same in term of (beam) focus as other xenons light on any other vechile on the road? Just want to make sure the change will not blind the driver coming toward me on highway or regular street due to no automatic height adjusment on this after market modification.

Last edited by austinglk350; 10-08-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Old thread, but i will post a quick tutorial for all who's trying to change GLK 350 low beam or parking lamp:

1. I don't know how to pull out the highbeam H7, I stopped after lowbeam and parkinglamp
2. Try switching out the lowbeam and parking lamp on passenger side first as there is more room, so u can get familiarized.
2a. Before u pull any plug, and as u r removing any bulbs, remember the position of the H7 round plate (H7 round plate has a tab on one side and round on the other), remember which side the cables of the plug are facing. It will make putting the bulb back in easier.

Loosen the big rubber protection seal (can be easily removed) that goes from left fender to right fender, big one, you will see it!

3. Lowbeam - there is a U shape wire clip from the housing that's holding the H7 circle plate in place, u have to gently pull n pop this clip out ( this clip does not get completely detached from housing, just pop it backwards and it will loosen the H7, while this wire clip will stay in the housing in a now "off" position)
3a. U don't have to pop the U clip in order to unplug the 2 legged electric plug from the H7. Though it is recommended to leave the plug on, so when the U clip is loosen, u can gently pull on the electric plug to get the entire H7 out.
3b. i. Driver side Prep work (i have pics of this, PM me) - remove the clip that's holding the windshield wiper reservoir. The windshield wiper reservoir can then be slightly moved sideways.
ii. Remove the plastic clip that's holding 2 cables from the wheel well. These cables can then be tugged away
iii. Loosen a clip that's holding 2 tubes (1 of those tube goes into a round drum), it is this tube that u need to get loose from this clip, so the entire round drum can be moved out of the way
iv. Reach in and remove lowbeam cover, repeat the passenger side procedure of removing H7. For driver side, I position myself at the side of left fender, NOT in front of headlight, for best position to reach in.

Here's a pic of the U-Shape Clip that i mentioned:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ght-bulbs.html

Parking Lamp (W5W, you will need to remove the highbeam plug):
1. Remove round plastic cover (it's not this easy... keep reading!)
2. There will be a BIG plastic thing in ur way inside, i cant take that off; it's there to hold the WHOLE reflective plastic housing in place or something... you do have the option to touch the Tab below it, a tab that is a holder for the 2 wires connected to the HighBeam. Gently tug that out, you have to do this to get to the parking lamp bulb plug.
3. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug: i spent almost an hr in the heat trying to figure this out without breaking it, or without trying to tug on the 2 wires too hard. The plug is held down with a 3 prong plastic clip below this plug, the key is to "loosen" this 3 prong. There's a more diplomatic way to do this, for the passenger side, get a small flat screwdriver (1-2 CM wide on the flat, length will be 3-5 inches long) to stick into the bottom space between the plug and this 3 prong holder, once it's stuck in there, you can then gently pull the parkinglamp plug out by the 2 wires, watch from the front as you pull, so you can see the progress coming out. (BTW, later when you push this back in, be careful as you CAN push in too far, making the parkinglamp bulb stick in front too much..., so remember the position of the parking lamp now, and dont over push it later when reassembling).

Dont pull the parking lamp out by wire if you dont have the screwdriver in or your finger in to loosen the 3 prong; it's useless just tuggin at it as i have tried... that 3 prong clip HAS to be loosen at least from the bottom tab out of the 3.

3a. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug (drivers side): as you alrdy know, there's not enough room for anything at the driver side, esp with the windshield reservoir in the way. But good news is, it can be done , bc i've done it. Read 3. above again, but this time, i didnt use the screwdriver to "spread" apart the 3 prong clip, no room..... i have to use my middle finger to gently push into the bottom of the 3 prong clip, to loosen the parkinglamp plug. While my "middle" finger is in there, (at the same time cursing the Germans while in this position), i can then gently pull on the plug and release it.
REMEMBER, when putting this parking lamp back in after you have replaced the W5W, do not push the plug+blub IN too hard, or you will have an over-extended parking lamp into the housing; and as a result to pull it back towards the engine, you will have to fish around and "really" push hard on the 3 prong plug (bottom tab) to loosen the grip of the 3 prong plug so the parkinglamp plug can be moved backwards. So, Remember the position of the parkinglamp beforehand, this W5W lamp has like a 1/8 inch of over-bite from the "cliff" of the light housing-opening, when looking from the front of car.

4. This is really a tough one, so here it is: To plug back in the "high beam" electrical plug after you are done with the parking lamp. It is tough to try to plug this 2 prong plug back in with no visibility, but there's a way to do it semi-easily. There's a handle to this plug that you pulled on earlier. When you are putting it back in, touch the metal H7 plug a few times, know its pins position; then while you are standing in front of the car, have your index finger tip hold the 1 leg of the plug that's closest to the "handle", that's bc you can "guide" this plastic leg right into the (south most, closest to floor) metal tab of the H7, and the other leg/tab will go right in with it. Dont waste your time trying to blindly push the plastic electrical plug back into the H7, you "may" hit it by luck, but most likely you wouldnt and waste time trying to hit the H7's legs like you'd try to hit the lottery.

OMG, what an ordeal!!! first timers, provide at least 2 hrs to get lowbean and parkinglamps replaced.

BTW, the licence plate lights are a breeze, took 5 minutes, stick a flat screw driver in the tab and loosen the cover, then you can pull the w5w out easily.

Here are what I have changed:
Lowbeam: MTEC Cosmos Blue H7 Headlight Bulbs
Parking Lamp: PIAA 19172 168 Xtreme White Wedge Bulb - 2 Piece
Back license plate lights: MTEC 194, 168 Superwhite MT-223 JDM

BTW, the PIAA 19172,168 and MTEC 194,168 wedge bulbs are same size, color are same (very slight blue-ish); the PIAA may be a very very tiny brighter. So, Instead of factory yellowish lights, now they are blue-ish and sparkling.

- believe me, low beam replacements are much easier than parkinglamp replacements. And I "think" high beam replacements is worse than parking lamp (dont know for sure, i havent tried pulling the highbeam out yet, too tired to fight).

I have pics and can answer some questions on the GLK process, as well as the 2010+ E350 headlight replacement process (much easier on the E), let me know!

Last edited by whytechno; 08-22-2011 at 10:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by whytechno:
Bliksem (09-07-2021), Mcosman1025 (09-06-2021), PetterJames (08-09-2022)
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 AM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by whytechno
Old thread, but i will post a quick tutorial for all who's trying to change GLK 350 low beam or parking lamp:

2. There will be a BIG plastic thing in ur way inside, i cant take that off; it's there to hold the WHOLE reflective plastic housing in place or something... you do have the option to touch the Tab below it, a tab that is a holder for the 2 wires connected to the HighBeam. Gently tug that out, you have to do this to get to the parking lamp bulb plug.
3. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug: i spent almost an hr in the heat trying to figure this out without breaking it, or without trying to tug on the 2 wires too hard. The plug is held down with a 3 prong plastic clip below this plug, the key is to "loosen" this 3 prong. There's a more diplomatic way to do this, for the passenger side, get a small flat screwdriver (1-2 CM wide on the flat, length will be 3-5 inches long) to stick into the bottom space between the plug and this 3 prong holder, once it's stuck in there, you can then gently pull the parkinglamp plug out by the 2 wires, watch from the front as you pull, so you can see the progress coming out. (BTW, later when you push this back in, be careful as you CAN push in too far, making the parkinglamp bulb stick in front too much..., so remember the position of the parking lamp now, and dont over push it later when reassembling).

Dont pull the parking lamp out by wire if you dont have the screwdriver in or your finger in to loosen the 3 prong; it's useless just tuggin at it as i have tried... that 3 prong clip HAS to be loosen at least from the bottom tab out of the 3.

3a. The Parking Lamp Bulb plug (drivers side): as you alrdy know, there's not enough room for anything at the driver side, esp with the windshield reservoir in the way. But good news is, it can be done , bc i've done it. Read 3. above again, but this time, i didnt use the screwdriver to "spread" apart the 3 prong clip, no room..... i have to use my middle finger to gently push into the bottom of the 3 prong clip, to loosen the parkinglamp plug. While my "middle" finger is in there, (at the same time cursing the Germans while in this position), i can then gently pull on the plug and release it.
REMEMBER, when putting this parking lamp back in after you have replaced the W5W, do not push the plug+blub IN too hard, or you will have an over-extended parking lamp into the housing; and as a result to pull it back towards the engine, you will have to fish around and "really" push hard on the 3 prong plug (bottom tab) to loosen the grip of the 3 prong plug so the parkinglamp plug can be moved backwards. So, Remember the position of the parkinglamp beforehand, this W5W lamp has like a 1/8 inch of over-bite from the "cliff" of the light housing-opening, when looking from the front of car.

4. This is really a tough one, so here it is: To plug back in the "high beam" electrical plug after you are done with the parking lamp. It is tough to try to plug this 2 prong plug back in with no visibility, but there's a way to do it semi-easily. There's a handle to this plug that you pulled on earlier. When you are putting it back in, touch the metal H7 plug a few times, know its pins position; then while you are standing in front of the car, have your index finger tip hold the 1 leg of the plug that's closest to the "handle", that's bc you can "guide" this plastic leg right into the (south most, closest to floor) metal tab of the H7, and the other leg/tab will go right in with it. Dont waste your time trying to blindly push the plastic electrical plug back into the H7, you "may" hit it by luck, but most likely you wouldnt and waste time trying to hit the H7's legs like you'd try to hit the lottery.

OMG, what an ordeal!!! first timers, provide at least 2 hrs to get lowbean and parkinglamps replaced.
I am confused here, are the 2012 headlights different then? I want to change out the parking lights on my 2012 GLK to LED, there is large round black covers, as well as some wiring harnesses, do I replace the stock front parking lights with LED W5W? Any pictures of the installation would help! thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Originally Posted by jonnyrt
I am confused here, are the 2012 headlights different then? I want to change out the parking lights on my 2012 GLK to LED, there is large round black covers, as well as some wiring harnesses, do I replace the stock front parking lights with LED W5W? Any pictures of the installation would help! thanks
your 2012 seem to look different, check out the 2010 pics here, click on thumbnail to enlarge, probably better if you save the large pic to your PC then view in pic viewer since these pics are (3648x2432)

click on GLKheadlights from below
http://www.whytech.com/publicpic
Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by whytechno

Its an ordeal alright...thanks for the detail writeup on the parking light...I did my HID kit today, but didn't have the patience for the parking lights...maybe next weekend...lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Did my parking lights....just FYI...the above writeup talks about spreading/pushing the 3 prong clip to pull the bulb out....realized the outer prongs were just the casing...you just need to push in middle tab down to release the bulb socket.

Did the eyebrow corner LED too...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by PHML
Did my parking lights....just FYI...the above writeup talks about spreading/pushing the 3 prong clip to pull the bulb out....realized the outer prongs were just the casing...you just need to push in middle tab down to release the bulb socket.

Did the eyebrow corner LED too...

Thanks for the heads up and the great pics. I just did my eyelids with LED, and now need to do the parking lights (otherwise it looks a little off having the eyelids white/blue and parking lights yellow)....

Before I try this task, is the tab that I have to push down on at the top of bulb socket, or underneath, side, etc.? I just want to know where to look for it to press on it and pull.

Lastly, any tips on the lowbeams H7s? I heard someone say all you need to do is slightly move the metal bracket up and pull the bulb out, put the bulb in, and then move the bracket down. (thus, you never technically have to unclip the metal holder...does that sounds correct?)

Thanks again, and nice close pic!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by pet1700
Thanks for the heads up and the great pics. I just did my eyelids with LED, and now need to do the parking lights (otherwise it looks a little off having the eyelids white/blue and parking lights yellow)....

Before I try this task, is the tab that I have to push down on at the top of bulb socket, or underneath, side, etc.? I just want to know where to look for it to press on it and pull.

Lastly, any tips on the lowbeams H7s? I heard someone say all you need to do is slightly move the metal bracket up and pull the bulb out, put the bulb in, and then move the bracket down. (thus, you never technically have to unclip the metal holder...does that sounds correct?)

Thanks again, and nice close pic!
For the parking lights...the tab/middle prong is on the bottom side of the bulb socket....at the 6 o'clock position. Use a finger to push the middle tab down...and with the other hand....tug a the wires from the socket. It was hard getting my fingers around the socket...so I opted for the tug the wires method...lol.

As for the H7 lowbeams...you need to remove wire clip at the top (12 o'clock position)...its not that hard at all...from what I remember, just pinch it and slide it off the hooks...and it will unclip. If you remove your fender liner to get access to the rear of the headlight housing....you will see everything as clear as daylight.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 02-21-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
*****WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!****

I originally changed the eye lids on my 2012 GLK to white LED's (excluding the turn signal bulbs), like in the pictures above, HOWEVER, I shortly realized that these are on the same curcuit as the turn signal bulbs. Now every time you signal/flashers etc, it flashes amber and bright white LED (both bulbs flash together). No big deal you may say.....where I live at least, this is an INSTANT Police grabber!!! Having flashing signal lights that are non-amber, can be a violation, be careful is all I am warning.

I have since installed a set of 3406 and w5w T10 amber LED bulbs in the eye lids.

Last edited by jonnyrt; 02-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyrt
*****WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!****

I originally changed the eye lids on my 2012 GLK to white LED's (excluding the turn signal bulbs), like in the pictures above, HOWEVER, I shortly realized that these are on the same curcuit as the turn signal bulbs. Now every time you signal/flashers etc, it flashes amber and bright white LED (both bulbs flash together). No big deal you may say.....where I live at least, this is an INSTANT Police grabber!!! Having flashing signal lights that are non-amber, can be a violation, be careful is all I am warning.

I have since installed a set of 3406 and w5w T10 amber LED bulbs in the eye lids.

Yes...I realized that...the corner eyebrows do flash ON and OFF as well when turn signals are flashing...that's why orders and am still waiting for my CANBUS amber SMD LEDs to arrive...but thanks for the heads up....I think most ppl here don't even realize this.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 02-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 PM

GLK 350
I finally installed 5000K eyelids and the dreaded parking lights. Looks great. The only concern I have now, is that as I was trying to remove the parking light on the driver side, the bottom clip broke. I barely pressed down, and it broke off. (The passanger side for example I was pressing down full force to get the parking light out and no issues). Do you guys think I should be worried that my parking light will fall out over time, or will it be fine without the middle clip?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 AM

GLK 350
Please guys, what do you think? Is this a major problem , or no biggy? Anyone else break a clip on these parking lights? Will they hold or fall out over time? Please, I am so worried.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to remove parking light bulb ??