nail in the tire, replacement issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250
nail in the tire, replacement issue.

Hi,
I got a nail in my tire and I do have a road hazard warranty for tires.
I have a simple nail right in the middle of the thread, but I was told they will replace it for a new tire.
Please note that I don't have a run flat.
And my dealer is telling me it is OK to change only one tire. "As long as it is a same model".
I was always told (with my previous AWD cars) to change 2 tires minimum.
Two in a back or in front or it will be different traction.
Please advise.
Is it right to change only one tire?
Is it safe?
Please advise.
Thanks a lot!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
How many miles are on the other tires? My dealer replaced one tire for me and they didn't express any concerns at all.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by spyked
How many miles are on the other tires? My dealer replaced one tire for me and they didn't express any concerns at all.
25k. And tires are worn out. I would say no more than 50 percent left. There will be a difference in thread and this is what concerns me.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
According to My Mercedes dealer if there is a 3 or 4/32 diff between ANY of the other tires. It can ruin the transfer case through the differing rotation speeds of the different circumference tires. The temporary rotation diff on a curve is fine, But if you are going straight down the road and the tires are at different speeds it can cause issues. It's like riding your brakes. Lots of heat and wear/tear because of the speed differential.

This tire size thing hit me hard, As it happened to me when I took a nail in an OEM runflat @ 10,000 miles (right at the transition from the tread to sidewall) I had to replace all four tires.

How ever as your tire isn't a run flat. It can be plugged or patched. Patch is the better fix and should work fine until all your tires are worn.

And don't yell at Mercedes about this. You can yell at your fellow lazy *** drivers in America that can't be bothered with engaging the AWD system by pushing a button or pulling a lever. That's too much work for my fellow Americans.

I would advise that you perhaps call another MB dealer and double check.

Last edited by super7pilot; 08-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
i know a pair of tires can have more than 4/32 difference, my certified used had rear and fronts 5/32 difference. If you want to replace a pair, the better tires go on the rear. What brand tires? The continentals? There are much better tires out there, the continentals are not great in any respect. Winters coming , if they are worn now might be the time to research a better tire. I put on a pair of Michelin premier on the rear only, the fronts were new, I'll wear out the continentals in about a total of 7500 miles and soon swap out the fronts for Michelin. There are several brands that seriously outperform original equipment continentals. The biggest thing you will actually notice is ride quality, and quietness. Yes , if you have factory continentals, get rid of them
Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by Mmr1
i know a pair of tires can have more than 4/32 difference, my certified used had rear and fronts 5/32 difference. If you want to replace a pair, the better tires go on the rear. What brand tires? The continentals? There are much better tires out there, the continentals are not great in any respect. Winters coming , if they are worn now might be the time to research a better tire. I put on a pair of Michelin premier on the rear only, the fronts were new, I'll wear out the continentals in about a total of 7500 miles and soon swap out the fronts for Michelin. There are several brands that seriously outperform original equipment continentals. The biggest thing you will actually notice is ride quality, and quietness. Yes , if you have factory continentals, get rid of them
My originals are Continentals. And there are 6/32. Dealer is getting me one new tire and it is 12/32 if I am not mistaken.
Not a pair, but one tire will be changed (!).
So my concern is that I will be riding on 3 old tires and 1 new.

I called few dealers and many suggest to replace at least 2 tires.
But my dealer is refusing to do so.
I called MB Canada and dude on other side told me to listen what my dealer is saying. I was not convinced.

Few years ago I bought tires from Costco. For another AWD - Toyota Highlander. and I had a nail. and they replace all 4 tires! they measure how much I have left and I paid only for worn percentage. so if they were worn 40% with 60% left, then I will pay only 40%.
Much better service by Costco!

Here I am prompted for only one new tire. and I have to say I am very concerned.

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Continental contact are 10/32 new, dam my front continentals are at 6/32 with 5500 miles, they will be junk at about 7500 miles.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ninfru
My originals are Continentals. And there are 6/32. Dealer is getting me one new tire and it is 12/32 if I am not mistaken.
Not a pair, but one tire will be changed (!).
So my concern is that I will be riding on 3 old tires and 1 new.

I called few dealers and many suggest to replace at least 2 tires.
But my dealer is refusing to do so.
I called MB Canada and dude on other side told me to listen what my dealer is saying. I was not convinced.

Few years ago I bought tires from Costco. For another AWD - Toyota Highlander. and I had a nail. and they replace all 4 tires! they measure how much I have left and I paid only for worn percentage. so if they were worn 40% with 60% left, then I will pay only 40%.
Much better service by Costco!

Here I am prompted for only one new tire. and I have to say I am very concerned.

Thanks again!
Why would Mercedes give you two new tires? Warranty's are normally for the item that fails. Graciously accept the one free tire and buy the other one or three.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
I'm confused. If the nail was in the middle of the tread, why not just get a mushroom patch?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by glennhl
I'm confused. If the nail was in the middle of the tread, why not just get a mushroom patch?
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to do.
I was told MB Canada doesn't patch tires, just replace them.
and this is rather stupid, pardon me.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ninfru
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to do.
I was told MB Canada doesn't patch tires, just replace them.
and this is rather stupid, pardon me.
I'd just take the tire to a tire shop and pay the 10-20 to have it patched. Done and dusted.