M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Replacing brake pads - pin is stuck!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ML 500 SE (W163 left hand steering)
Replacing brake pads - pin is stuck!

Replacing my brake pads and I have one pin which will not budge at all. I have been using a 1/8 punch and lightly using a hammer to punch them out - all of them came out fine, but the top on one side. I actually broke my punch trying to get this one out and had to run to autozone to get another.

So, any ideas as to how to get this thing out? As it is sitting jacked up in the garage tonight I put some liquid wrench on there, but won't find out if that did anything till tomorrow. I assume it is the larger end with the compression ring (the inside end towards the engine) that is stuck.

Other things I thought of were applying some heat, but I am worried about how close that is to things. Another was drilling it as I am replacing with new ones anyways, but again a little worried with that as I want the new one to fit securely.

Surely someone else has run into this problem... what did you do to get it out?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ml320
Did you find a solution?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ML 500 SE (W163 left hand steering)
Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Did you find a solution?
Cut the pin, took the outer pad out, then used a larger punch on the leftover pin section that was stuck. It must've been the little compression ring on the end that was causing the problem - which I figured.