M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Is this gap, at the top of hatch seal, normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
Is this gap, at the top of hatch seal, normal?

And, if not, will water that gets through that gap end up inside the fender (like dripping onto the SAM)?
Attached Thumbnails Is this gap, at the top of hatch seal, normal?-20140714_131830.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM

2008 ML320 CDI
Just stopped by my local independent expert. He says that the gap is normal and that the updated plugs on the back are correct. His thought is that the leak must be behind the tail light, and he also mentioned that he has had good luck with putting a cover over the SAM.

The dealer mentioned another issue with leaks from the roof rack, if its screws loosen up. I don't notice any play in the roof rack, so I don't think that's an issue for my car.

I'm going to add some sort of cover and pull the tail light to see what I can do to improve its sealing.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM

2008 ML320 CDI
I replaced the seals behind the tail lights today. Got them from the local dealer, where they were in stock. Part numbers are 1648261591 and 1648261691.

When I picked them up, I asked the parts guy whether they had been changed since original. He said that yes, they had. He marked the packages Right and Left. The main difference I saw was that, using them as he had marked them, the self-adhesive side of the gasket sticks to the car. The original seals were glued to the taillights. The other difference, which I don't understand, is that the right side new seal included a replacement for the oval seal that goes on the side of the body. The left seal did not have a replacement for this. Since the oval piece is just punched out of the center part of the main seal, which you have to remove anyway, not giving replacements for both sides doesn't make much sense.

Hopefully this will stop the water ingress I'd been seeing.