M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Difference between USA & Canadian built ML63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 02:07 PM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
Difference between USA & Canadian built ML63?

So I posted this questions in the ML63 section, but I know this section gets more traffic, so I'll post it here too.

Anyone know the differences between a USA and a Canadian built ML63? Whether it be powertrain, features, or maybe wireless frequencies used in the TPMS or the Keyless Go?

Also, can the speedo/odometer be programmed to read MPH/Miles without changing the cluster?

Any other differences that I should know about?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
I think the only thing is that the Canadian spec has DRLs.

You can change it to MPH in the settings menu. You will see the MPH light will illuminate instead of the k/hr and the speedo will recalibrate accordingly.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:02 PM
EkS

C63
Do you know if the odometer can be changed over to miles?
Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
I'm not sure. When I get a chance I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 PM
EkS

C63
Thank you!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
You don't mention what year but in mine (2013) there is no user setting to change mph to kmph...I think dealer must do it
Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 PM
EkS

C63
Oh yeah, for a 07-11.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I'm pretty sure the dealer must do..
Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
OP is coming from a Honda. I can tell.

The ml doesn't need a cluster change. Through the settings you can change it to Km/h or mph.

Only downside is your cluster will show less top speed on the gauge topping out at 180 or whatever the Usdm cluster visual limit is at.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320, 2006 E320CDI, 2007 SLK55 AMG
If you have access to the MB star system you can change the odometer to km's from miles only issue is the speedo will still be in miles. But after that you can program the digital speedo to show up in the center section of the cluster to km's.

DRL's can also be turned on with the Star software.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:42 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
There is some confusion because it works differently based on where the car was originally delivered. Both versions are identical, it's just the programming in the cluster that is different.

This programming MUST be changed by a DAS/Star system only. There are no user configurable settings between US-Canada.

However, what's causing confusion is that you can enable a second digital display of mileage in the cluster, along with the analog gauge. This only works one way, can't remember which (I think the Cdn ones can show a digital "MPH" but not the other way around).

Other than the second digital display, the entire cluster has to be recoded. It's simple with STAR.

I coded mine from US to Canada when importing the car. Restarted the car and it came up in KM/H, I know have a second "MPH" digital display, and everything else as if the car was sold in Canada. You can't tell by looking at my cluster that it was originally a US car.

So unless you're importing a Cdn car into the US and want a digital "MPH" number showing up (with a useless km/h speedometer that you can't use), just get it re-coded to the proper country. The physical hardware and software in the cluster are identical, it's just one "country" setting that is different.

I have the menu path for DAS stored somewhere if anyone needs it. Might take me a week to dig it up, but I know I saved it.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
cars
I believe that generation ML63 used the same cluster as my '07 R63...and I assume from OP's location that you're looking to import a CDM car into the US. If that is the case, then getting the instrumentation to comply to US reqs is as easy as changing the unit displayed in the cluster (via the steering wheel controls). This will change all digital instances of speed from kph to mph, and all displayed mileages will also be adjusted accordingly (trip odo, overall odo, fuel mpg, miles till service, etc...). The physical speedo will still have a sweep of 0-320, but it will now be for mph...so your actual usable range of the speedo will be a bit smaller than normal. It's not a big deal at all imo.

One thing that people tend to overlook when importing CDM cars that might potentially be a big deal is that the climate control dials will still read in °C instead of °F, and you can't change that with just a few button pushes. Any temperature readings in the cluster will also remain °C (coolant temp, oil temp, outside temp, etc.).

If you are still interested in importing a CDM-spec car into the US and had any questions on the process feel free to PM me. I should still have the direct contact to the person at MB Canada that does the research and issuance of the compliance letter needed to get the car into and registered in the US. And there's a company that I can recommend that does a pretty good job of dealing with customs and getting the car through the border.

Here's my 320mph speedo...fastest AMG ever!
Attached Thumbnails Difference between USA & Canadian built ML63?-320mph.jpg  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
2005 E500 4matic wagon, 2006 AMG E55, 2009 Smart Fortwo
Having recently purchased a Canadian market ML63 for use in the US, I'm curious of anyone knows how to disable the DRL's via STAR? I can live with the 320km speedo and climate control in Celsius, but would like to be able to turn my lights off.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 GL550
Contact at MB Canada and Shipper

Originally Posted by vanable
I believe that generation ML63 used the same cluster as my '07 R63...and I assume from OP's location that you're looking to import a CDM car into the US. If that is the case, then getting the instrumentation to comply to US reqs is as easy as changing the unit displayed in the cluster (via the steering wheel controls). This will change all digital instances of speed from kph to mph, and all displayed mileages will also be adjusted accordingly (trip odo, overall odo, fuel mpg, miles till service, etc...). The physical speedo will still have a sweep of 0-320, but it will now be for mph...so your actual usable range of the speedo will be a bit smaller than normal. It's not a big deal at all imo.

One thing that people tend to overlook when importing CDM cars that might potentially be a big deal is that the climate control dials will still read in °C instead of °F, and you can't change that with just a few button pushes. Any temperature readings in the cluster will also remain °C (coolant temp, oil temp, outside temp, etc.).

If you are still interested in importing a CDM-spec car into the US and had any questions on the process feel free to PM me. I should still have the direct contact to the person at MB Canada that does the research and issuance of the compliance letter needed to get the car into and registered in the US. And there's a company that I can recommend that does a pretty good job of dealing with customs and getting the car through the border.

Here's my 320mph speedo...fastest AMG ever!
Would you have the MB representative name or contact for the compliance letter and the transport company that you would recommend to transport permanently from Canada to US?

Thank You!