ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML 63 Reliability vs Range Rover and Cayenne.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
RR4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 63 Reliability vs Range Rover and Cayenne.

I am looking at replacing my 2004 Range Rover with either a Cayenne GTS or a ML63.

How is the build quality and the reliability of the ML63's?

Appreciate your opinions/thoughts.

Thanks,

R
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300W4 Sport, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i
ML63 is a great vehicle and it is a monster with 503hp...built great i am sure you know AMG their moto is 1 man 1 engine, and AMG is big about making the details of the details of the details. They did a great job on it.

Cayenne GTS, I love, it is a 911 that seats 4 people comfortably. It has less hp than the 63 but I think it is more sportier. You will 100% have to get snow tires on the GTS, since they have their 21'' low profile tires on it. I do like the new Cayenne GTS 09 touchscreen navi, ipod, and bluetooth. It is superior to the Mercedes. The system is lightening quick and I love it. I have 700 contacts on my blackberry and the GTS downloaded it in about 1 minute, compared to 5-10 mins on the ML63 (sometimes it wouldnt download my contact list). I am a huge gadget freak! So those little things on the GTS in my mind make it better. But performance I give it to the ML63.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I currently have an ML63, just got rid of my Range Rover Supercharged. Two COMPLETELY different vehicles. ML is nice, I had tons of issues with it when I first got it, but now, 14k miles, seems pretty solid. I had one issue with the Rover when I first got it, and never again. Depends on what you want to do with it. You want speed, agility, beauty, AMG. You want stability, some speed, and capability to go anywhere, anytime, RANGE is the car. Best of luck. If you get the ML, you will love its perks.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
RR4

ok your scaring me with the "tons of issues when I first got it"..harldy the vote of confidence I was hoping for....what kind of issues did you have with your ML63?
I've had it with issues, I had enough of them with my 2004 RR HSE.

I want a solid reliable car.
Does anyone know who builds one?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
From another post in this thread..

Originally Posted by ldangeli
Folding Mirrors - Replaced Motors

Brakes - Replaced Twice. The calipers are now discoulered. "Normal according to the dealer"

Engine - Was loosing oil like crazy, had to be filled every 1000 miles, AND had a misfiring cylinder.

Transmission - Vibrates uncontrolably at a stand still then stops. Gets stuck in gear when aggressively drving and won't switch.

Windows - pinch control went bananas.

Door Handles - Interior components broke, locking me out of the car. Handles popped open with no door release. Door release stuck closed after opening couldn't close the door.

Power Lift Gate - Couldn't open from the button in the car. Would start then close again. Latch stuck closed when open, so when you pushed the button to close it bounced off the stationary latch in the boot.

Sunroof - Replaced components as the pinch control went bananas and I couldn't close the sunroof at one point.

Electrical - The dash lit up all of its pretty lights and then went off. No explination.

Tires - Get the loudest whiring noise, explained as tire wear?

These were the basics.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by RR4
I want a solid reliable car.
Does anyone know who builds one?
I think Machine Head on this forum has one, it's called a Barbie Scooter.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:35 PM
RR4

From another post in this thread..
Honestly those sound minor, the misfiring cylinder sounds odd but you seemed to flippantly just throw that in without explanation..what was the diagnosis on that one?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by RR4
Honestly those sound minor, the misfiring cylinder sounds odd but you seemed to flippantly just throw that in without explanation..what was the diagnosis on that one?
I believe it is explained in more detail in the original post. That was a recap of a REPOST. They are all minor, but if it wasn't for having a personal assistant and multiple cars to drive, I probably would have made a bigger issue of it. There were a lot of explinations by service that I didn't like or appreciate. 2 sets of brakes before 15k miles? Having to add 2-3 qaurts of oil every 1000 miles for the first 10k. Door locks braking for no reason? It came down to a service issue for me. Ever since my first 10K service, I haven't had any issues to really speak of except for the tires. Other than that I am pretty happy. But "Flippantly, or lacking respect" throwing out the cyclinder item, well thats a bit far fetched. This is my 25th+ car, 6th Mercedes, and so far, they have been the most troublesome.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
I just went from an '05 RR HSE and I don't miss it at all. I have had my ml63 for 2 months and have had zero issues. I had numerous niggling problems with the RR but just learned to deal with it. I looked at the cayenne tt vs. the ml and the exhaust note sealed the deal for me among a few other things. The Cayenne interior is nicer and the electronics are better but I just could not justify an extra 20 grand. I really don't miss the rover at all. Good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Range Rovers have reliability? Just joking. The ML is actually more truck-like than the GTS, it depends on what you prefer. I am an MB tech at a dealer that carries both Porsche and MB, and can honestly say that both are great, the GTS has a fantastic Telematics system, the ML has the pure power. That being said, they will both break, or if you will, have their idiosynchrosies, but show me a vehicle of that performance level with that fit and finish that won't break at some point. The GTS drives almost just like a 911, the ML you definately feel when you throw it into the curves. And both trucks need snow tires if you are in the snow belt.

Nick
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM

the one thing i love about the GTS is getting a panoramic roof! I think that is hot, even though it is $3900 but it is still hot.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by Soon2bMB
the one thing i love about the GTS is getting a panoramic roof! I think that is hot, even though it is $3900 but it is still hot.
I used the to love the old retractable roof that MB had on the old ML's. The panorama roof is stellar.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM

CL 65 '09, ML 63 '09. The wife's: 09' SL 63 & S550.
HI!

I have 20K miles on my 2008 ML63 August 07 delivery...only issue was a defective lift gate hydraulic pump... LOVE the truck, great in snow with SNOWTIRES! Love it so much, ordered a new 2009 ML63 (this time in silver) for next Spring!

Get the ML63...

D.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
ML63 all the way

Cayenne= VW Toureg and is worthless without the twin snails

Rang Rover= One of the most overrated POS vehicles on the road. The only thing that makes them decent is the fact that the newer ones have BMW engines.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Jo

2011 ML63
I used the to love the old retractable roof that MB had on the old ML's. The panorama roof is stellar.
I have some pretty funny memories of those. Open roof and a couple of strippers going at it. LOL
Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by moparrbust
ML63 all the way

Cayenne= VW Toureg and is worthless without the twin snails

Rang Rover= One of the most overrated POS vehicles on the road. The only thing that makes them decent is the fact that the newer ones have BMW engines.
Um, actually, BMW is no longer associated with Rover. My supercharged had a Jaguar engine in it. Yes, some of the electronics were still shared from BMW but BMW stopped making engines for the car years ago. TATA motors now. To say it is one of the most overated vehicles on the road is a bit outlandish. This coming from someone driving a Crossfire....
Mt ML63 is sexy, fast, nimble (for a fat lady) and sounds rediculous. The rover was a go anywhere, pull anything, do anything truck. Two different functions.
The GTS is a really nice SUV but yes, it shares a lot of parts with Toe-rag, so save the dough and by a VW if you are going that route. The VW actually looks a little better IMHO.

Last edited by ldangeli; 10-31-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Um, actually, BMW is no longer associated with Rover. My supercharged had a Jaguar engine in it. Yes, some of the electronics were still shared from BMW but BMW stopped making engines for the car years ago. TATA motors now. To say it is one of the most overated vehicles on the road is a bit outlandish. This coming from someone driving a Crossfire....
Mt ML63 is sexy, fast, nimble (for a fat lady) and sounds rediculous. The rover was a go anywhere, pull anything, do anything truck. Two different functions.
The GTS is a really nice SUV but yes, it shares a lot of parts with Toe-rag, so save the dough and by a VW if you are going that route. The VW actually looks a little better IMHO.
oh man i cant believe you think the Toe rag looks better, that hurts! lol, i just love the big open front grille and the enlarged rear spoiler look. plus the alcantra sports seats and roof.

yeah but after a day of driving the ml63 that car is insane. I am just glad they got rid of the joy stick, that thing was retarded! you could never select what you really wanted to!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
oh man i cant believe you think the Toe rag looks better, that hurts! lol, i just love the big open front grille and the enlarged rear spoiler look. plus the alcantra sports seats and roof.

yeah but after a day of driving the ml63 that car is insane. I am just glad they got rid of the joy stick, that thing was retarded! you could never select what you really wanted to!
I should rephrase. I like the way the Toe-rag nose looks, better then the Cayenne. The interior of the Porsche is much nicer.

I love the ML power she is crazy. I don't like the way she reacts to NJ roads. The wide tires and weight have me all over the road if there are ruts and what not. You feel all of the different grades, etc. Other than that, she is very impressive to drive. Handling is wicked, power and torque is scary at times.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM

ok i can accept that about the tow reg...lol
Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
ok i can accept that about the tow reg...lol
Yeah, its nice.. Porsche is nicer, and the ML is the nicest!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM
RR4

Does the 09 ML63 have different suspension?

I like the 2009 ML63 myself - better than the 08 ML63...has anyone seen an 09 ML63 real time....my neigbours wife just got an 08 ML550 still worried about the "mom Mobile" stigma....can 500HP and 21 inch wheels really take that stigma away?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
My ml63 is an '09 and I liked the updated looks better because I thought it looked a little more aggressive. By the way the suspension is the same as '08.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6

I know BMW isn't providing powertrains for that POS any more.......but most of them on the road are a couple years old and have those engines. Now they have Jag engines in them; as you stated, which makes them even bigger POS vehicles. I don't care that they can go "anywhere" and only about 1% of owners of Range Rovers will venture off smooth pavement. If you ever had to work on one, or service one, tear one apart or fix one that's been wrecked you would know why I speak so harsly about that vehicle.

I also find it very funny that you mention my little Crossfire SRT-6 in discussion about SUVs. I have no need for an SUV.................but if I were to get one I would only consider the Jeep GC SRT-8.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by moparrbust
I know BMW isn't providing powertrains for that POS any more.......but most of them on the road are a couple years old and have those engines. Now they have Jag engines in them; as you stated, which makes them even bigger POS vehicles. I don't care that they can go "anywhere" and only about 1% of owners of Range Rovers will venture off smooth pavement. If you ever had to work on one, or service one, tear one apart or fix one that's been wrecked you would know why I speak so harsly about that vehicle.

I also find it very funny that you mention my little Crossfire SRT-6 in discussion about SUVs. I have no need for an SUV.................but if I were to get one I would only consider the Jeep GC SRT-8.
Actually I have torn one down completely. I used to own a specialty company that made one into a living room. New supercharger, tv's everywhere, custom electronics as well as custom interior. Fixed suspension, wheels, brake upgrades, etc. Not saying they are the greatest car on the road, but to "dismiss" them is not a proper thing to do. To date, it had less proplems then any mercedes I've ever owned. Now I keep coming back to Mercedes because I can't get away from the beauty, power, and that damn AMG engine.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 ML63
To the reliability question keep in mind how long each of the three models has been around for - usually the more the years since introduction, the fewer the bugs that haven't been fixed / addressed. The Cayenne was introduced in 2002 while the ML in 2005.

On the flip side, the Cayenne is still on the first platform whereas the ML on its second. Moreover, the current Cayenne is in its last couple of model years (I believe an all new Cayenne is expected by 2010) so if I was in the market, that would be a concern.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML 63 Reliability vs Range Rover and Cayenne.