New and considering the ML350 - some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw
New and considering the ML350 - some questions

Hi all,

New to the forum and possibly to MB, We are currently looking to buy an SUV and looking to get to know from owners whether its something we should consider or are there better cars out there.

The other cars that are being considered and we are all over the place,

RX350
X3
Lexus NX
JGC
MDX

Out of these the rx350 feels the most luxurious but the handling is what's not there.

The X3 is good on handling but the interior feels cheap (to me) The lexus nx is yet to be seen in person but from online videos the interior feels luxurious but don't know if I like the exterior.

JGC has all the bells and whistles but the reliability is not that great.

MDX is a good value car, but ....its mdx

Now we love the way the ML350 looks and I just test drove it once a few months back and don't remember as I was thrown off by a few things and may have be prejudiced about the car.

The gear shifter being in the steering column, the seat adjustments being in the door, the read seat fold down option was 2 steps which I did not like. But I think I can live with all that.

Also, I would be leasing and I have been reading here about ppl getting good discounts which makes it on par with the lexus fully loaded.

So please share your experience and any suggestions you may have.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by tin369
Hi all,

New to the forum and possibly to MB, We are currently looking to buy an SUV and looking to get to know from owners whether its something we should consider or are there better cars out there.

RX350
X3
Lexus NX
JGC
MDX...
The RX350 will flat out, be the most dependable.
X3 is nice with the same amount of service needs as an MB but short & jittery when driving.
Lexus NX Small, Probably jittery, completely unproven.
JGC is the previous Gen ML born when MB owned Chrysler. Only weak spot is the transmission that comes w/ the V6 Pentastar.
MDX owners hate it at the Forum MDXers.org

I came from an 07 E550 to the ML350 Last Tuesday. Supremely comfortable, can drive it all day. Love it. Over assisted, numb steering. Column Trans selector stalk I'm just about used to. Gives you great cup holders in exchange. Skip the Running Boards. They look good but actually make getting into the car more awkward. (except for maybe kids)

Seat adjustments & memory are on the door so if you unlock & try to use the car with a child or dog or other object in your hands, you don't have to bend down to get to them Also, large hands in some cases make it difficult to reach down in between the door & seat.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-19-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
ML250/ML350 hands down...
Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 ml350 bluetec, 08 bmw 135i, 12 F250 PSD
The shifter on the column is actually quite good. It takes very little to get used to, but yields great console space in return. It works very good and is very sturdy, even though it looks small.
The back seat fold down takes no time at all, and shouldn't be an issue. Seat adjustment on the door is a bit annoying, but just because I'm so used to other vehicles that have them on the seat.

All in all the ML is a great vehicle to drive...and looks very nice. Can't go wrong!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 AM

bmw
What is the typical discount that can be had for the ML350. Also, i m a little confused, with the naming convention, I am reading that the ML would change next year,so is that a new redesign if so should I wait or get the current version. Also is prepaid service advisable to buy?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 AM

2014 ML 550
I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a 2014 ML 550. Traded in my 2007 Lexus LS 460 purchased new in 07 for the ML 550. Wife drives a 2010 RX 350. Here are a few thoughts...

Would not worry about the shifter on the steering column. Yes, it was weird for about 2 days. However, I have found now after driving the vehicle for about a month that I MUCH prefer it this way over the shifter in the console like on my wife's RX. All I can tell you is it works great, and I now wonder why the other manufacturers aren't doing the same.

The seat adjustments on the door took me a little longer to get used to. I'm not sure I can see any tangible benefit to the design over placing the adjusters on the side of the seat. However, I've now gotten used to it and don't have a problem. Wouldn't say I prefer it the way Mercedes has designed, but don't dislike it either.

Having drove a long list of Lexus vehicles over the past 10 years, I would say my biggest concern about the ML is the reliability. The LS I drove and my wife's RX have been pretty much bullet proof. I think Lexus IS the standard for reliability in a vehicle. Hoping that the ML is reasonably reliable.

As far as exterior design, I'd say the ML wins over the RX hands down. But, that's just my opinion. From my perspective, the ML has a much more masculine appearance than the RX and quite frankly, I ruled out an RX for me because I thought it looked more like a woman's vehicle.

As far as the ML's driving experience versus the RX, I'd say that two things stand out to me from my brief experience. First, the ML is much quieter than the RX. MUCH. I know that sounds strange considering that Lexus has a reputation for quiet interiors and a somewhat isolated driving experience, but the ML is significantly quieter than the RX and even slightly quieter than my LS 460 was.

Second, I would say the steering in the ML has less road feel than the RX, and that's saying something because the RX has very little road feel to begin with. If you're someone who prefers the driving experience of a BMW, you'll probably not enjoy the way the ML drives. I however, prefer the steering feel of the ML.

I have driven many vehicles, but I have to say that the ML 550 has so far, been the most satisfying (in the short time I've owned it). I must admit that a good part of it is the V8 engine in the 550. Even at my age, I get a smile on my face every time I kick that baby into passing gear. The power is intoxicating!

Good luck on your decision!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Hi all,

RX350
X3
Lexus NX
JGC
MDX

Out of these the rx350 feels the most luxurious but the handling is what's not there.

The X3 is good on handling but the interior feels cheap (to me) The lexus nx is yet to be seen in person but from online videos the interior feels luxurious but don't know if I like the exterior.

Now we love the way the ML350 looks and I just test drove it once a few months back and don't remember as I was thrown off by a few things and may have be prejudiced about the car.

The gear shifter being in the steering column, the seat adjustments being in the door, the read seat fold down option was 2 steps which I did not like. But I think I can live with all that.

Also, I would be leasing and I have been reading here about ppl getting good discounts which makes it on par with the lexus fully loaded.

I'm very familiar with the RX and the ML.

I do not consider the RX to feel lux at all. That is mainly because it is a 2010 Lexus interior. The ML started in 2012 and blows the RX away.

The ML is much more spacious.

As for the rear seats, the ML two step process is actually brilliant because it allows for a for a flat cargo area.

The shifter on the RX is terribly placed. Very awkward and covers the dash (very mini-van). The ML shifter is awesome because it doesn't take up valuable console space and is so much more convenient than any console shifter. I wish my X5 had the ML shifter. Once you get used it you'll be pulling the window wipers on every other car you drive, lol.

As for the seat controls, that's a MB thing. I like it but whatever...How often are you changing your seat position. Even if you do, it is such a small reason.

The RX will be all new next year, IIRC, so it will make the 2015 seem very old and outdated. If you're on a budget get the RX but the ML has some good leases going on as well. ML will get a major refresh next year so if you can wait another year, you should.

If you like the JGC, get it. You're leasing anyway so reliability will be almost a non-factor. Great looking truck.

NX is tiny. I'm 6'4 so I couldn't imagine driving that every day. Even the RX is cramped in comparison to the ML. Germans cars tend to be great on headroom.

MDX. Yeah, many complaints on engine noises that Acura is not taking care of. And build quality issues. But if you need three rows, then this is the winner. However I'd never put my own kids in the 3rd row due to possibility of rear end crash. Like you said, great value.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:59 AM
27T

13ML BT
What is the typical discount that can be had for the ML350. Also, i m a little confused, with the naming convention, I am reading that the ML would change next year,so is that a new redesign if so should I wait or get the current version. Also is prepaid service advisable to buy?
Discount depends on where you live. You could get 10%+ off MSRP.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:03 AM
27T

13ML BT
Also want to add that the ML has much better crash test scores than the RX. One reason, is because the ML is a 2012 design versus the 2010 RX design. And second, when you pay more, you tend to also get better quality on things that you do not see.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
I will 2nd the dependability on the RX. Coming from both LX and RX the Lexus are near trouble free. I also like their service department better but that could likely be a local thing.

I have had my ML350 BT for over 6 months now and have been very happy with the luxury and performance. I have had o serious maintenance problems and the few minors ones were due to me failing to read the manual.

No disappointments here except maybe no caring much for their service department, but that does not detract from the vehicle.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by 27T
Also want to add that the ML has much better crash test scores than the RX. One reason, is because the ML is a 2012 design versus the 2010 RX design. And second, when you pay more, you tend to also get better quality on things that you do not see.
MBs are always "overbuilt" to survive Germany's much higher speed's crashes. Safety trumps weight with MB. Crash survive-ability will always be higher in a German car than in any Japanese car. The car feels like it is made from a single solid cube of steel.

Interior is of much higher level of materials than the lexus.

From past experience, I prefer the last model year version of an MB product than the 1st 2 years of a wholly revised/new generation of the model. It will be the best version of the product MB could build. No more Beta testing for me.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-20-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM

ML63, ML320
we're on our 2d Ml after 110,000 miles on the first. The shifter on the column is great, much better than on the console. same as to the seat adjustment. it's my wife's vehicle and we looked at nothing that was its equal.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by 27T
Discount depends on where you live. You could get 10%+ off MSRP.
10% in Maryland. No more than 5 % off list in South Florida. Long island is aggressively priced too.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
I'll Pile on....

The deal breaker for me(my wife) on the RDX is the interior. The design cues for the interior come directly from Toyota, my wife was ditching her prius and found the lexus dash to have the same "look", she discounted the RX without even climbing in. Again, her rationale in a vehicle is that your interface with the vehicle is that interior, if you hate the interior, you're gonna hate the car no matter how it drives.

The seat memory on the door is a fantastic thing. My wife is short, so I can open the door and move the seat without wedging myself in there or bending over(e350) to get in.
I just had hip surgery, so on all the MB's I could program button "3" to be all the way back, and the wheel all the way up. I could open the door, press the button and climb in easily(well, easier), then move the seat and wheel to my driving position. seems silly but I was glad I had it.
This is my second ML(550). we currently own three MB's. The shifter on the stalk seems awkward, but when you think of how you use a shifter now, having it up behind the wheel isn't a bad spot for it, and frees up console space.
I'm sure the RX has it, but the drivers assist packages from MB (lane assist, distronic, park assist, auto xenons) are all implemented very well. The seven speed transmission in the MB is fantastic. Road and engine noise in the cabin of both my ML and the E are very low.

What seals it for my wife is our dealer will drive 60 mi each way to her office to pick up and drop off for all service.

(Ambient lighting inside and out is a very nice touch...gets comments every time I have a new passenger. I'm sure lexus has it, I just don't recall ever seeing it. My friends all drive toyotas or domestics, every one of them has mentioned the illuminated door sills when climbing in the ML! I didn't even know it had them when I ordered it, the AMG has them, my wife's E does not and now SHE's making noise about getting them. who woulda thunk that this was such a selling point. )
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM

bmw
27T - you said the ML will get a major refresh, is this a mid cycle refresh or a complete redesign? If i do end up leasing now, is there a way that in 2 years before my lease expires i can move into a newer ML, like how BMW has the pull ahead program, does MB has something like this.

I also must say, that this forum is very friendly and I already feel like you guys have made great comments and are swaying my decision towards an ML350. No doubt the ML looks great, but I guess I will test drive it again and see if I like it and finally it will be all about the numbers...haha

In terms of maitenance, do you buy prepaid doe sit help with the lease, i know for Audi you get some discount in the money factor.

Also anyone here is an expert on MB lease, would like to learn more on how to go about it.

when I am at the dealer, how should I approach the discount numbers, should I just flat out say 10% off the MSRP or invoice?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
27T - you said the ML will get a major refresh, is this a mid cycle refresh or a complete redesign? If i do end up leasing now, is there a way that in 2 years before my lease expires i can move into a newer ML, like how BMW has the pull ahead program, does MB has something like this.

I also must say, that this forum is very friendly and I already feel like you guys have made great comments and are swaying my decision towards an ML350. No doubt the ML looks great, but I guess I will test drive it again and see if I like it and finally it will be all about the numbers...haha

In terms of maitenance, do you buy prepaid doe sit help with the lease, i know for Audi you get some discount in the money factor.

Also anyone here is an expert on MB lease, would like to learn more on how to go about it.

when I am at the dealer, how should I approach the discount numbers, should I just flat out say 10% off the MSRP or invoice?
I actually waited to buy until I saw the GLA45, way to small for me, buzzy little motor. News came out about a new GLK AMG, that will fit the bill but with the model changing(GLC Amg), I bought the ML550 to hold me over until the new models come out.
Purchasing a "gap car"(my term to get wife off of ceiling) might be preferable to leasing,especially with holiday offers currently running...you can get a leftover 2014 for short money, you'd eat some depreciation, but it might be better than the lease swap.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM
27T

13ML BT

For 2016, the ML will be refresh (not redesign), and the RX will be an all new 100% redesign. If you can wait, then do so, if getting the update or redesign is important to you. No matter what or when, there will always be something newer the next year or two whether it is to the model you're driving or a competitor that could have lured you away. At some point you just have to buy a car and drive it. Trying to time a lease pull ahead is just going to stress you out. Take it as it comes. Who knows what program will be offered by the manufac in the future and if you will even care to take advantage of it. As much as I love cars, getting a new one every couple of years gets old quickly because I have more pressing things and hobbies to occupy my time with.

There are several threads with step by step instructions on how to negotiate price, lease, etc. Search for "invoice" and grab a cup of coffee.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:37 PM
27T

13ML BT
If you want the most stress free option, buy a used 20K mile 2013 RX for $37K. It saves big money, and you get the updated RX. This way you can drive it for another six years, likely with minimal trouble, or sell it without much loss when you find an irresistible car in a couple of years.

Last edited by 27T; 11-20-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Hi all,
RX350
X3
Lexus NX
JGC
MDX

I spent the better part of a year test driving everything out there and researching the forums for a 2011 Platinum Escalade replacement. Absolutely nothing came close to the sheer driving pleasure, quality and innovation I experiemced in the ML550. Ended up getting two of them. Nothing even comes close in my experience. Lexus ride quality and handling wasn't even in the same league, either was the MDX. I really didn't start as an MB fan, but boy am I ever converted now. I Actually look fed to the day's commute to and from work with the ML550.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
The few items that you thought you did not like, are actually great features when you get used to them being "different".

Lee
Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 AM

GLE63S 2016
True. For example, the massage feature in the ML is very nice. So is the heated steering wheel. Massage was amazing the other day as I blasted past traffic that could not make it up a slippery snow covered hill.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM

2015 ML350

I'm not as experienced as some here, but I have test driven a few of the vehicles you mentioned, but I have a few questions for you as well - is there any particular reason you're considering vehicles in different classes?

In my opinion, the only ones from your list that are competing with the ML are the RX and the MDX. The rest are much smaller.

I had a 2011 ML350 and just went to a 2015 ML350 - I've had the new one for about two weeks, and I think they improved on everything, except for the steering. It was much tighter in the older model. (Plus my other car is a Honda so I'm used to very tight steering.)

The RX ride is very smooth - too smooth for me. It's like riding on a cloud and you can't feel anything, and the body roll was a dealbreaker. The ML is less harsh than the previous generation, but once you get used to the soft steering at low speeds it's good. At high speeds the steering tightens nicely. Additionally, every other car where I live is an RX, and almost always are driven by soccer moms.

The MDX is like driving a tank - it feels very sure-footed on the road. I just don't particularly like Acura, and the instrument cluster is very busy. The exterior styling is not for me. It has a third row option, which the ML doesn't offer.

To your points:
The gear shift isn't a big deal, you get used to it. Some reviews say that you might mistake it for a windshield wiper stalk, but I've never had that problem.

The seat adjustments being in the door doesn't bother me - I don't adjust my seat much once I have it set.

I hardly ever use the rear-seat fold-down (two kids) but it's literally 2-3 extra seconds. It does fold completely flat though, which is a plus.

As far as leasing, this time I went with MB of Manhattan (not sure where you are) which is the only Corporate-owned dealership in the NE US. Their pricing is aggressive, I got around 10% off MSRP. If you have some sort of employee discount, that helps a lot. Plus they have a LOT of stock.

What options were you looking to get? I got a good majority of the available options, so if you have any questions about those, I can answer.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:16 PM

GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by baudilus

As far as leasing, this time I went with MB of Manhattan (not sure where you are) which is the only Corporate-owned dealership in the NE US. Their pricing is aggressive, I got around 10% off MSRP. If you have some sort of employee discount, that helps a lot. Plus they have a LOT of stock.

Things are done a bit differently in Canada. MB is very aggressive to get rid of the 2014's once 2015 approaches. The deals are actually amazing, and my Mother-in-Law saved almost $15,000 on her new ML350 just a few weeks ago.

I opted instead for the 2015 ML550 and paid full price. There was no negotiation, but because I bought two of them, the dealer gave me great deals on windshield protection, a maintenance package, winter tires and wheels and some other "extras" like a ski rack, etc., etc. All in, I felt that I was treated very fairly.

These are not "bargain" vehicles. They are expensive to buy and to properly maintain....and also to fix. But of all the vehicles out there, they are definitely the ONE brand that gives you what you pay for at the higher end of the spectrum.

The only other vehicle I own that I thought that gave you what you paid for - or even a little more - was my daughter's 2012 loaded Chevy Cruz. The Cadillac Escalades give you significantly LESS than what you pay for, as do the Lexus brands and most of the Korean and Japanese Brands. Audi was the only one that really surprised me in regard to its shockingly low quality for the price.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
True. For example, the massage feature in the ML is very nice. So is the heated steering wheel. Massage was amazing the other day as I blasted past traffic that could not make it up a slippery snow covered hill.
The massage feature is the only feature that I found on my ML that I considered a joke.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I have an ML63 and just bought a new 2014 RX350 for my wife...up here the top line sans electric is the Premium which is what I got..full load was somewhat less than a second ML I considered but the MB is substantial in most every way..don't get me wrong the Lexus is very nice but the mB just feels quieter more solid and more luxurious and again..it should at nearly $15k more
As for the nits you'll get over them..I actually now prefer the stalk shifter especially over the Lexus dash mounted...it's actually turned out to be quite intuitive and using comes natural
You won't go wrong with either..the Lexus may retain resale better,,,

Her she is..we call it Lexy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New and considering the ML350 - some questions