M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Active Curve System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S7
Active Curve System

So, I could use a little advice. I'm completely new to Mercedes and believe I'm going to order a GLE400. However, I'm not sure if the Active Curve System is worth it at $4,520. I've had Porsches, BMWs, Range Rovers, Audis, etc. etc, so I'm familiar with these types of handling systems, but could someone share some personal experiences with this system? And more specifically on an M-Class?

Here's my tentative order (again, open to suggestions!):

GLE 400
On/Off Road Package
Lane Tracking Package
Airmatic Package
Parking Assist Package
Lighting Package
Driver/Passenger Multicontour seats w/ massage
Heated/Ventilated Seats
Pano roof
Heated steering wheel
20" AMG wheels
Anthracite Wood Trim
Aluminum Running Boards
Heated Rear seats w/ climate control
Ambient Lighting
Carbon Fiber trim

I could imagine that Active Curve would be great with a more sporty version, e.g. the GLE 63, but I can't really imagine that it would make a 4k different in driving experience. But I'm hoping people can share their opinion to a newbie MB'er.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - Active Curve has much more impact - acorss ALL driving situations - than the On/Off-Road you have pre-selected... you should consider a trade-off...you might revisit Driver's Assistance "Plus-Plus" (my term) package.. and you should add trailer hitch as a value purchase... Mercedes uses genuine carbon fiber trim you might revisit that since genuine carbon fiber is "pricey"..
Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Upgraded Harman kardon sound system with command it is a must have item.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 AM

2015 ML 350 Gas(Polar White). 2015 ML 350 gas(Lunar Blue). 68 mustang
I fought the same issue with mine. I opted not to go with the ACS since I had Airmatic. The car still feels sporty and handles the curves really well. Yes the ACS would make it better but I have no regrets as of now.

I do love my 360 view and ditto on the trailer hitch. Might as well throw in the heated/cooled cup holders. Not real functional but pretty cool to show off.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 AM

Audi S7
Thanks for the ideas. Hitch, etc - all good ideas and I'll add them.

Why do you say that the Active Curve system is better than the Off-Road package? I need outstanding performance in the snow (and the air suspension helps me raise the car when needed). I also need off-road capability because we do a lot of camping/hiking and, at times, on very rocky/uneven roads.

Perhaps add it and have both? I can do that.

In comparing with others (Range Rover, BMW, etc.), I wish it had a HUD and a slightly more powerful engine. Been looking at the X5 5.0.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 AM

2013 ML550
The off road package is legit. I have it on my 13' ML550. I have done serious off-roading with it. The crawl ratio is 2.93/1.00, even lower than my last grand Cherokee. One more skid plate wouldn't hurt though.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Audi S7
Originally Posted by Kenn1926
The off road package is legit. I have it on my 13' ML550. I have done serious off-roading with it. The crawl ratio is 2.93/1.00, even lower than my last grand Cherokee. One more skid plate wouldn't hurt though.
How would you compare the ML to the Grand Cherokee in the winter? We have a 2015 Overland with Quadra-Drive II - and it's amazing in the winter. However, i've had several years of Jeeps. ML similar? worse? better?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM

2013 ML550
I've had an 04' GC V8 and an 09' GC 5.7 quadra drive. Both were great as expected. The ML with a set of Sorpion Winters and the off road pack is pretty unstoppable. It definitely gets the edge because of the ground clearance. I've driven through over 12" of snow with zero issues. I've also pulled many people out snow banks with it. Large trucks, escalades etc. the only issue I have with it is that the traction/stability control can't be fully defeated. As far as off reading I've gone everywhere and further than I've gone with my GC's
Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM

Audi S7
Originally Posted by Kenn1926
I've had an 04' GC V8 and an 09' GC 5.7 quadra drive. Both were great as expected. The ML with a set of Sorpion Winters and the off road pack is pretty unstoppable. It definitely gets the edge because of the ground clearance. I've driven through over 12" of snow with zero issues. I've also pulled many people out snow banks with it. Large trucks, escalades etc. the only issue I have with it is that the traction/stability control can't be fully defeated. As far as off reading I've gone everywhere and further than I've gone with my GC's
That's great to know. We had a Suburban for the past few years that was absolutely unstoppable (drove through 20-28" of unplowed snow for about 3 miles). Then I moved to an Audi S7 and realized that I really miss an SUV. I wanted something a bit more sporty than the GLE400, but to jump to the GLE 63 is 20k. More than I want to spend on an SUV.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 PM

GLE 400
AIRMATIC vs ON&OFFROAD

I am looking at the 400. want the adjustable height suspension as in an area that floods. don't need the underride protection with the Offroad option but the control on the console is different for a car with just the AIRMATIC versus a car with the ON&OFFROAD. Does the AIRMATIC provide the same fording capability - ie height adjustment?

thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
Originally Posted by Joshm18
I could imagine that Active Curve would be great with a more sporty version, e.g. the GLE 63, but I can't really imagine that it would make a 4k different in driving experience.
My ML has ACS w/ the On-Off Road Pkg. I've had ML loaners without. ACS doesn't just keep the car from rolling in corners. It adjusts the sway bar at low speed (i.e. on rocky trails) and it prevents the back and forth pitching of your head as the truck goes off kilter. Just as important, ACS can relax the sway bar in straight line sections on road (i.e. highway driving). It can be perceived as a sporting feature, but there's a comfort aspect to it as well.

It is a great feature if you click into sport mode to carve a road, but I rarely do that. If you've been in an SUV with a strong sway bar off road or on a poorly maintained interstate with a lot of heaves, you will understand why ACS makes a difference. Regular ML suspensions are not bad by any means, but the difference is definitely noticeable on and off road.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 PM

2013 ML550
I have a 13' ML550 with the on/off road package. It comes with a low speed transfer case(2.93:1 crawl ratio,) 6 driving modes(sport, auto, snow, trailer, off road 1 and off road 2) that each adjust the throttle sensitivity, suspension height and compliance as well as the steering effort. You can also control the height of the vehicle independently. There is a 4" height difference between the lowest mode(sport) and the highest setting that is approximately 11.5" of ground clearance. The sport mode all but eliminates body roll.
Attached Thumbnails Active Curve System-image-1844594813.jpg   Active Curve System-image-360963601.jpg