S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Define exit position?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s class
Define exit position?

I can turn on the seat/steering wheel motion for exiting the car BUT can I define the position each of them assumes at exit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
I do not believe so. That is something I noticed about the MB exit position versus my old LS400. The steering wheel doesn't seem to move very far.

In our E350, I actually programmed memory 3 to be seat all the way back and steering wheel up and back. It's not great though because you have to hold the button.

If someone knows how to change how far the seat and steering wheel moves, that would be helpful.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM

s class
Using memory 3 is a nice idea.

The manual seems to say you set the location by setting the memory while the ignition is off on page 129, but equivicates as to the positions that can be set and is silent about which memory is used. I haven't tried that yet.

On page 130 the wrong type of mirror is shown.

If you try it and have success, please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by TomS
In our E350, I actually programmed memory 3 to be seat all the way back and steering wheel up and back. It's not great though because you have to hold the button.

If someone knows how to change how far the seat and steering wheel moves, that would be helpful.
That's one thing I hate about my Mercedes is its "memory seats"... Having to hold the button down until everything is in the correct position is so annoying! Why in the world do they make the person hold the button down? Even in my wife's Kia you just press the button and it moves everything into place... Does not make sense to have to hold the button down! I have to do this in my 2006 E55... You would think that in 8 years this feature would have been updated... Especially with everything else this car can do. Does anyone know if this can be changed with Star Diagnostics?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
It was explained to me that the reason you have to hold the button is one of safety. If you are 6'3" like me and pressed a memory button (accidently) for someone that was 5'5", you could possibly sustain an injury with the seat moving so far forward.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by 06E55
That's one thing I hate about my Mercedes is its "memory seats"... Having to hold the button down until everything is in the correct position is so annoying! Why in the world do they make the person hold the button down? Even in my wife's Kia you just press the button and it moves everything into place... Does not make sense to have to hold the button down! I have to do this in my 2006 E55... You would think that in 8 years this feature would have been updated... Especially with everything else this car can do. Does anyone know if this can be changed with Star Diagnostics?
such a sad story
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
It was explained to me that the reason you have to hold the button is one of safety. If you are 6'3" like me and pressed a memory button (accidently) for someone that was 5'5", you could possibly sustain an injury with the seat moving so far forward.
Are you kidding me? I'm 6'7" and my wife is 5'4"... I have pushed my wife's memory button on accident... I've even let the seat go almost all the way to her position... Besides, all you have to do to stop it is push a different button... It's funny that most other manufacturers you just push the button down once and I would willing to bet that there is absolutely zero reported cases where someone injured themselves by a memory seat...
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Sd.Kfz 182
For you it`s simple but for germans it has to be over complicated (just like their language) - what if you press the memory button by accident while driving? Are you going have enough time to react?
But I agree - sometimes germans over think it too much.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by schuk
For you it`s simple but for germans it has to be over complicated (just like their language) - what if you press the memory button by accident while driving? Are you going have enough time to react?
But I agree - sometimes germans over think it too much.
Simple. Make it so you have to be in park to engage a memory position. That's how it's done in a Kia for heck sake! It baffles me a $45,000 Kia handles a seat's memory position better than a $120k+ vehicle! And for what it's worth, it's the same in my Bentley. I press the button once and the seat adjusts accordingly...

Last edited by 06E55; 04-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Simple. Make it so you have to be in park to engage a memory position. That's how it's done in a Kia for heck sake! It baffles me a $45,000 Kia handles a seat's memory position better than a $120k+ vehicle! And for what it's worth, it's the same in my Bentley. I press the button once and the seat adjusts accordingly...
Everyone here should understand that this is not a question about cost or engineers' capability to implement a feature. MB has decided to make it like this and we can discuss if we would like to see it implemented differently or not.

Kia probably cares less about safety and follows what most other brands do. We can argue how significant the safety issue is and should there be a different compromise between safety and convenience.

I would assume we all (except perhaps you 06E55) would agree that it would be a real pain if you have to park the car if at one point during the ride wanted to adjust the seat a bit and then later want to come back to your saved settings. You would loose the safety aspect and the convenience aspect.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Everyone here should understand that this is not a question about cost or engineers' capability to implement a feature. MB has decided to make it like this and we can discuss if we would like to see it implemented differently or not.

Kia probably cares less about safety and follows what most other brands do. We can argue how significant the safety issue is and should there be a different compromise between safety and convenience.

I would assume we all (except perhaps you 06E55) would agree that it would be a real pain if you have to park the car if at one point during the ride wanted to adjust the seat a bit and then later want to come back to your saved settings. You would loose the safety aspect and the convenience aspect.
So, you are saying Bentley doesn't care about safety and convenience either, because this is exactly how it is implemented in my Bentley SuperSports as well..

I NEVER stated that you had to park the car to adjust the seat position... You don't... But you do have to be in park (or at least in a stopped position) to engage a memorized position...

You can play antagonist all you like... The fact that you have to press and hold a memory position on a vehicle is simply annoying. And don't even pretend you know why MB implements it one way or another... And, I would be willing to bet if we took a poll among how it is implemented in other vehicles, more than likely it would be implemented without having to hold the dang button down!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
So, you are saying Bentley doesn't care about safety and convenience either, because this is exactly how it is implemented in my Bentley SuperSports as well..

I NEVER stated that you had to park the car to adjust the seat position... You don't... But you do have to be in park (or at least in a stopped position) to engage a memorized position...

You can play antagonist all you like... The fact that you have to press and hold a memory position on a vehicle is simply annoying. And don't even pretend you know why MB implements it one way or another... And, I would be willing to bet if we took a poll among how it is implemented in other vehicles, more than likely it would be implemented without having to hold the dang button down!
I never said which way I would prefer this myself.

I started to like the the Kia approach, if you want to use the seat memory on a highway, just use "park position", no need to park the car.
I already said many other brands do this differently, BMW I guess too and they are safety aware. I just thought MB generally does not implement what appears to be the average approach of existing vehicles from other brands, thank God they don't.

These forums are great, there are people who know much more than I do. In addition there are people who know better than myself what I know.

Actually I welcome all views and all comments, the forum would be dull if everyone had the same opinion.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM

S 550
Interesting discussion. It seems there are a couple approaches to implementing the memory seat - either single press or a "press and hold". I am not sure about the latest iterations from the various manufacturers but my recollection is that some cars from Porsche, Cadillac, Buick, BMW and Mazda all work with a "press and hold" iteration of the memory seat button, just like the S-Class.
Do hit like it? No, I prefer the single press method, but having said that I have had a couple uncomfortable experiences in the past where I pressed the wrong button (in a car with the single press method) and started futzing around with the radio while waiting and then started panicking when I realized I had pressed the button for my wife's seat position and my knees were getting close to being pressed into the dashboard before I found the correct seat button to move me back.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unless you are in a position where you have extremely slow reaction time, it isn't exactly difficult to press one of the other buttons to stop the seat from automatically moving into position. One press of the correct button and everything takes care of itself. The funny thing is, I bet it is worse when you have to press and hold... Think about this... You aren't paying attention and you are holding the button down... You then realize you are pressing the wrong button.... You then fumble and press but not hold the wrong button again... You are still in the incorrect position...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I started to like the the Kia approach, if you want to use the seat memory on a highway, just use "park position", no need to park the car.
Because memory seats are commonly used while going down the highway... I would be willing to bet that 99.9999899% of the time, they are used when entering the vehicle prior to fastening your seat belt...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With BMW, it depends on two things in regards to how it's implemented. If the car is off and the door is open (i.e., entering the vehicle, you press the button once). If the car is on and the door is closed, you have to press and hold. To me, this is a great implementation... Kind of the best of both...