Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Cost of a resonator delete - W212 E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
Cost of a resonator delete - W212 E63 AMG

Hey guys,

Pardon me if i'm on the wrong board -- just recently joined. However, i'm interested in getting the resonators deleted and replaced with straight pipes on my 2011 E63 AMG.

So far, the places that have quoted me over the phone are charging ~$400 and I just now called up another place charging $129/hr for labor alone and he said it would be around 1-2 hours.

My question is -- for a relatively simple modification like a res delete + straight pipes, how relevant is the quality of the shop? The place that quoted me $400 is a performance shop that focuses on european performance brands, but would I get the same out of going to a cheaper, simpler shop?

I'm assuming anyone can cut and meld on a piece of metal, but is it worth paying the extra premium (additional $100-200) for a better shop? Should I order my own straight pipes and bring them to the shop just for the labor? I'm relatively new so any advice or insight is welcome - thanks.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
Hey Bob,

Wish it were as simple as cutting and bolting.

Couple things to think about are the fact that the new pipes need to be of similar quality (if you want them to not rust out) as the original tubing. Also, the shop that does the work will need to bend the tubing to fit properly. This can take a number of trips from the car to the tubing bender. You also need to consider if "Jojo's House-0-Mufflators" will warranty their work. (And if they do, would you trust them?)

If it were me, I'd spend the extra $$ and find a reputable shop.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
I was at a local performance shop yesterday getting some tires mounted on wheels (They were the only ones in the area with a tire changing machine that would guarantee not to screw up my wheels), and I asked them if they did exhaust work.

Indeed! They could custom fab tubing and exhausts from steel to stainless to titanium.

I asked about a resonator delete and replace with an x-pipe made from stainless. They said $800- $1k.

So - if you can get it done at a good shop for $400...that's not too bad!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I got my resonator deleted yesterday at a muffler place had straight pipes put on cost $90 dollars. I am not sure if deleting the job is really advanced welding work (don't quote me on this I am not a welder). But I assume they all cut the resonator out, measure the pipes, fit them, then weld them on. No way I would pay 800 dollars for this process. It sounds great btw, I am probably going back to have them do something to the mufflers so I can get that start up noise and idle rumble. I just opened up another post on that subject as I don't know much about mufflers and don't want anything crazy just want that start up and idle rumble.
The following users liked this post:
Kyle Rogers (06-04-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CL550
Do we gain any HP at all by doing this? I know we get a great sound but what about HP?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by 98cruiser
Do we gain any HP at all by doing this? I know we get a great sound but what about HP?
Yes.. but its pretty minimal. I do notice slightly faster takeoff acceleration.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
I got mine done when I was passing through Vegas. They cut off the resonator and replaced with stainless pipe. They did a nice job with clean welds. Total cost $110. For simple stuff like this stay away from "specialty shops" those guys will only gouge you with AMG tax.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CL550
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
I got mine done when I was passing through Vegas. They cut off the resonator and replaced with stainless pipe. They did a nice job with clean welds. Total cost $110. For simple stuff like this stay away from "specialty shops" those guys will only gouge you with AMG tax.
How many resonators do we have? I know there's 2 toward the end and is there one in the middle that need to be deleted? should they put an X pipe or two straight pipes in the middle?