R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Suspension droop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Suspension droop

Came out yesterday and saw that my car had a noticeable droop on the right side - so probably have the rear air-spring failure.

One question though - I notice that it's not just that the right rear side has dropped, the the right front has also dropped (tire clearance is minimal between the tire and wheel well, also the left side is higher by about 2 inches both front and rear. I don't have the Airmatic suspension - only the standard self levelling rear. Is this normal when one of the air springs fails - the other side jacks up a little bit? I would have thought that the self levelling sensor would deflate a little on the left side to compensate? The car does not level when I turn it on or when driving.

(Anyway, I'll be taking to the dealer on Monday - my car is just off warranty (I have the extended but only drivetrain coverage now). So my other question whether there's anybody with a recommendation for an independent shop in the GTA now that my car's off warranty. I've seen lots of recommendations for Mcnally's (which is pretty far from me))

Here's a pic - yes, the car is dirty and a mess - but this is winter in Toronto - you'd have to get it washed daily to keep it clean at this time of year!

Thanks in advance for any responses...
Attached Thumbnails Suspension droop-suspension-1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by CedarMtn
Came out yesterday and saw that my car had a noticeable droop on the right side - so probably have the rear air-spring failure.

One question though - I notice that it's not just that the right rear side has dropped, the the right front has also dropped (tire clearance is minimal between the tire and wheel well, also the left side is higher by about 2 inches both front and rear. I don't have the Airmatic suspension - only the standard self levelling rear. Is this normal when one of the air springs fails - the other side jacks up a little bit? I would have thought that the self levelling sensor would deflate a little on the left side to compensate? The car does not level when I turn it on or when driving.

(Anyway, I'll be taking to the dealer on Monday - my car is just off warranty (I have the extended but only drivetrain coverage now). So my other question whether there's anybody with a recommendation for an independent shop in the GTA now that my car's off warranty. I've seen lots of recommendations for Mcnally's (which is pretty far from me))

Here's a pic - yes, the car is dirty and a mess - but this is winter in Toronto - you'd have to get it washed daily to keep it clean at this time of year!

Thanks in advance for any responses...
It is cheaper to get aftermarket air bag.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...18_pid190.html
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 R350
And yes, the car will lean to one side when one air bag is deflated, including the front.

Another option is to bail on the air springs all together. Threads on here on how to do it... just search...
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
The left rear air bag recently went out on my 2010 with 92,000 miles.

The indy shop replaced it with Arnott for $375. Better warranty on the Arnott than with factory or dealer.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:58 PM

2011 R350 BT
Thanks for the suggestions.

Update - it's at my MB dealer. My car has recently had a lot of warranty work done on it (early Feb) and the dealer worked for me to get coverage under my extended warranty. So letting them diagnose the problem as they said they might be able to get some coverage based upon the amount of work that has been done. (love my car but it has been in the shop a lot over its lifetime) Right now - they couldn't detect any leaks. They think it's the level sensors (not the bags), so they replaced the sensor links (which were seized up) and are swapping left and right sensors to see if that will reverse the problem. If it does - they'll replace the bad sensor.

Keeping my fingers crossed - if it does turn out to be a leaking air spring, I will definitely go with the Arnott's (I'll replace both). I'd do the spring conversion, but since I tow a boat occasionally and regularly have a full load (3 rows of people with roof box and luggage) - I kind of like the idea of a self levelling suspension. Hopefully, it's just the sensors and I can put off replacing the air springs for a while.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
My guess is the springs and not the sensor. I used three dealers for my R-class and they all had trouble to diagnose air suspension problems. If your cost is covered by extended warranty, my advice is let the dealer fix them and not convert to spring yet. No reason to have out of pocket cost for now.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
I can't see the point in converting to springs. My gas shock / bag replacement only cost $375 and has pretty much a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by gforaker
I can't see the point in converting to springs. My gas shock / bag replacement only cost $375 and has pretty much a lifetime warranty.
Yes, the Arnott Bags are a bargain... but price the compressor, valve block, and other associated components...

Also, initially had the same nightmare diagnosis issues as the OP. "No Leaks" "Try Sensors"... blah blah blah...

Yes, Me, Mr DIY does also use the dealer and independents.. they tend to have better equipment than me.

After two months of screwing around with it I decided it was worth the 450 to absolutely never ever have to worry about it again. It worked.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Solution???

I came out if work yesterday and my car has the exact same problem. The right side was basically sitting on the tires while the left side is 6" higher. I started the car and we watched the car come up about 4", still lower than the left side, but clearing the tires. I was able to drive it home where hubs measured there was barely an inch difference between the left and right sides. We've left the car in the driveway for the night and this morning the right side is sitting on the tires again. So the car is leveling when on. Going to try the repair ourselves but not sure if it's the solenoid or the air bags... If there are 2 airbags?, etc. Reading through the forum, can't really find a definitive fix for this.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 AM

2006 R350
Basically, 90% of the time it is a leaking bag. The Arnot replacement is the easiest to DIY.

Recommend that they are replaced as a pair.

My "elimination" fix is one that is best taken on by the more astute shade tree mechanic.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 AM

R350
Originally Posted by josworth
Basically, 90% of the time it is a leaking bag. The Arnot replacement is the easiest to DIY.

Recommend that they are replaced as a pair.
We took the right rear tire off and sprayed the bag and seems with shaky water. Came out 10 minutes late and there is a "nest" of bubbles at the lower seal.

How difficult is it to change out the airbag, DIY? Just sick of sinking big bucks into this car. Planning to trade it in in 2 weeks.

Curious, so both the right side bags are failing at the same time? Is that usual?

Last edited by kcherrix123; 03-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:38 AM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by kcherrix123
We took the right rear tire off and sprayed the bag and seems with shaky water. Came out 10 minutes late and there is a "nest" of bubbles at the lower seal.

How difficult is it to change out the airbag, DIY? Just sick of sinking big bucks into this car. Planning to trade it in in 2 weeks.

Curious, so both the right side bags are failing at the same time? Is that usual?
Ummmm.... if it is an R350, odds are it just has self leveling rear air suspension.. The air bags in the rear replace conventional coil springs.. When they loose air, it is like you have no rear spring. Remove a spring from the suspension of any car and the whole car will lean to one side. This has been covered before.

As I said earlier, replacing the rear air springs is very easy. A few threads on here about it. I believe folks have stated it takes about 15 minutes a side.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:52 PM

R350
Thank you, I had no idea what kind of suspension the car has, I am a woman who knows nothing about cars which is why I ask questions. Thinking I'll take it to the local import garage and get them to replace the right rear bag. The DIY looks like more than I can handle, though I dud replace the thermostat myself thanks to YouTube. The left bag is fine. I'll ask them why the front is dropping too since it sounds like the front has springs.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 PM

2011 R350 BT
Late followup. Didn't get my car back for a while, then it was March break.

Dealer had the car for over a week. After replacing the sensor links and swapping the sensors, the car would rise a little bit on the right side but still wasn't level (and left side was higher than normal). Then they replaced the faulty sensor - and the car leveled but would drop after the car was turned off. Anyway, long story short - they kept checking the sensors and control units - and seemed to be resisting replacing the bags as they couldn't see a leak. In the end, they ended up replacing both airbags (which for all I know may have been the problem in the first place). After some complaining, MB gave me a break on the parts (due to the time it took to diagnose, the inconvenience and the fact that my car has been in for a lot of warranty work this past year). Total cost for the suspension was about Cdn $1300 (two airbags, one level sensor, new sensor links and labour). I had the B service done at the same time and front brakes too - so it was a pretty big ticket. Anyway the car is running well now.

But get this - the day after I got my car back, the rear hatch would not open. Even unlocking from the inside, the motors would not raise the hatch. So I had to take the car back again. Strange coincidence, all these parts failing. So they replaced the latch and only charged me labour. The hatch works now, although for some reason the height limiting feature no longer works (so there's something going on with the control unit). I am tired of not having my car, so I'm going to wait until the next service to check this out. Hopefully can get through the summer with no problems.

Anyway - pretty happy with the way the car is working now - but starting to get the feeling I should be thinking of trading it before something really major breaks. I really love driving this car though and it's got the space and capabilities I need.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 AM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by kcherrix123
Thank you, I had no idea what kind of suspension the car has, I am a woman who knows nothing about cars which is why I ask questions. Thinking I'll take it to the local import garage and get them to replace the right rear bag. The DIY looks like more than I can handle, though I dud replace the thermostat myself thanks to YouTube. The left bag is fine. I'll ask them why the front is dropping too since it sounds like the front has springs.
OK, let me clarify. The whole car appears to be leaning due to weight transfer from a dead spring. In other words... it will appear that the front too is sagging just because the weight of the car is leaning to one side. Your front is fine.

Actually, if you did a thermostat, then you can do air bags. They are way easier.
There are instructions on Arnott's web site.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...90_gid869.html

I would add that you unplug the compressor from the control block. It is a block with hoses coming out of it right by the passenger side headlamp. Can't miss it. There is a plug going into the control block. Just unplug that and you eliminate the system activating while messing around.

See, it is real easy to install a deflated spring.. no pressure...

And again, remember to replace in pairs... if one failed the other is not far behind. Also, new rubber behaves different than old rubber.... think shocks.. you always do those in pairs, right?

Last edited by josworth; 03-27-2016 at 06:28 AM.