S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Looking for some audio advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 S500 and 2007 S550
Looking for some audio advice

I'm about to upgrade the audio/navigation in my 2000 S500 and I wanted to get your opinions/advice on the direction I'm thinking of going in. I've searched this site and gained a lot of useful information and I've narrowed my options down to one of the following:

1. Install an aftermarket 2-Din unit with bluetooth, built in nav, etc. This would require the purchase of a double din dash kit, which I see ******* is offering for $175.00 with the woodgrain finish. I know that I would loose my steering wheel controls, but that may be worth having the updated system. There is also the issue of integrating the new unit with the factory amp and speakers, however, I've read where this can be resolved by using an aftermarket 5-channel amp.

2. I came across a site that was selling what they call an OEM replacement for the W220. Here's a link to the site: http://www.cars-electronics.com/2-di...oth_p1380.html

The description says that the unit will hook up to the stock amplifier and speaker systems and retains the use of the steering wheel controls via CanBUS. This unit comes with the necessary wood trim pieces to complete the installation.

Here's where I'm stuck; If I go with option one, it seems like there will be a significant amount of modification that will need to happen, which means more $$ being spent on the actual install. I'm assuming I'd need to find a shop that has experience with Mercedes installations, to avoid any issues down the road; i.e. onboard computer problems, error messages, etc.

If I go with option two, I get a "drop in" replacement which means an easier install and less $$ spent on the actual installation. Unfortunately, the unit would be coming from overseas which would be a pain if I ever needed warranty service. I'm also not too sure about the nav system they offer. Using this option I'd only have to buy the unit and pay for the installation.

I don't want to sacrifice quality in order to save a few bucks, however, I don't want to end up with the interior of my S500 rattling due to a poor installation. If anyone can offer some advice/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. All in all, what I want is a unit with a decent nav system, bluetooth, and DVD,VCD,CD,MP3,MPEG4,CD-R,WMA capability.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Check Cartronics.com and see if they have the double din kit for you year and model. They do for mine and the kit includes a harness so you don't lose the steering wheel controls.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
That ad is very misleading. The back of the radio shows a MOST fiber connection. Your car is D2B fiber. They also don't mention the additional trim pieces that are needed. Currently there is no device that we have ever heard of that will allow you to keep the stock amp and speakers in a D2B car (we are Mercedes engineers). If you would like, we will contact the company for you and ask some technical questions. They seem to have mashed up information from one of the cheap chinese radios (not all chinese items are bad, but we have done lengthy testing on this unit and one other unit with unsatisfactory results) and mixed it up with 2004-2006 W220 cars. The 2000-2003 W220 is a different animal when it comes to the fiber optics.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM

I am wanting to update my radio also, but I have a 2004 S430. Do you think the unit from cars-electronics would work? Anybody with experience with one of these overseas chinese units?

It's funny that you say the back is a MOST connection. Here I was worried that it would be for D2B only. I saw another unit that says CANBUS, which fiber optic is that for?

If this is for MOST, would reprogramming be required?

Also, would it use preexisting microphone for the bluetooth or hook up additional?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Canbus is for all years. It is a separate data bus that runs for the interment cluster and steering and many other things (convertible top where applicable, error codes, various modules).
We have thoroughly tested the chinese units from Haulingan and Dynavin and written elsewhere. Bottom line.... you don't get much for a radio that costs $400 (retailed up to $800)- All of our test units failed within 90 days, in one way or another.

We have some units that are being made for us (to our specs), but nothing for the S Class at this time, as the demand is not there yet.

So far the best option for a S Class, is to get a mount, face plate, buss and harness kit and put in a Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood , etc. Keep in mind with ALL these radios you will lose function in the instrument cluster and you WILL have to replace the amp and rewire the car a bit.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM

'00 S500 and 2007 S550
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Canbus is for all years. It is a separate data bus that runs for the interment cluster and steering and many other things (convertible top where applicable, error codes, various modules).
We have thoroughly tested the chinese units from Haulingan and Dynavin and written elsewhere. Bottom line.... you don't get much for a radio that costs $400 (retailed up to $800)- All of our test units failed within 90 days, in one way or another.

We have some units that are being made for us (to our specs), but nothing for the S Class at this time, as the demand is not there yet.

So far the best option for a S Class, is to get a mount, face plate, buss and harness kit and put in a Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood , etc. Keep in mind with ALL these radios you will lose function in the instrument cluster and you WILL have to replace the amp and rewire the car a bit.
Cartronics,

Thanks for the response. You've provided all of the details that I needed to make my choice. Last thing; does Cartronics sell the the installation kit (mount, face plate, buss and harness) ? Which amplifier would you recommend to replace the stock amp? Would you be able to provide the details on what rewiring would need to be done ?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I would love to know all of that information as well. I hate our Nav for many reasons. I too am looking for a touchscreen Nav solution for my 2005 s600. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We do have the installation kits for aftermarket stereos. You would need to do the following:

1. Install the kit and stereo.
2. Run new cabling from the new stereo to the trunk of the car. (this would be amp/head unit specific - depending on what each one required)
3. Install amp of your choice.
4. Consider installing new speakers, as the speakers and amp that are currently in the car are matched for power/performance. If you do not install new speakers, do not plan on 'cranking' the volume anywhere past what it currently can go.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 AM

2001 s500V
Originally Posted by Cartronics
We do have the installation kits for aftermarket stereos. You would need to do the following:

1. Install the kit and stereo.
2. Run new cabling from the new stereo to the trunk of the car. (this would be amp/head unit specific - depending on what each one required)
3. Install amp of your choice.
4. Consider installing new speakers, as the speakers and amp that are currently in the car are matched for power/performance. If you do not install new speakers, do not plan on 'cranking' the volume anywhere past what it currently can go.
Are you confirming that the Bose amp/speakers will not work with an aftermarket radio?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Anytime you keep the factory speakers but upgrade the rest of the system, it can rarely go louder.... and often sounds WORSE than the factory system.

Unless you just want to add a subwoofer, you really need to do a full audio system replacement. IMO if you are going to do all that, just do an Ipad install. and that way youll have an incar computer and 10 inch nav screen.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM

where did you buy the unit from Haulingan and Dynavin? Are they specifically from cars-electronics or another place? Can you provide a linkBecause the ones from there cost quite more especially for coming from china, but they also sound like a plug and play system.

I don't think we can assume that because a unit is bad fromchina, means that all units from china are bad.

Replacing the stereo with extensive modifications and replacement of amps/speakers is way too cost prohibitive at least for me.

Last edited by superflysocal; 08-03-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yes, we purchased both from the manufacturers. The price I quoted was our cost, not consumers cost.
There are many items made in China that are good, but the bottom line is there is no magic bullet when it comes to quality. Even the Chinese can not make something of outstanding quality for prices that are less than what the raw materials should cost.

@tusabes - Best way to put it.... very correct
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM

'00 S500 and 2007 S550
Originally Posted by superflysocal
where did you buy the unit from Haulingan and Dynavin? Are they specifically from cars-electronics or another place? Can you provide a linkBecause the ones from there cost quite more especially for coming from china, but they also sound like a plug and play system.

I don't think we can assume that because a unit is bad fromchina, means that all units from china are bad.

Replacing the stereo with extensive modifications and replacement of amps/speakers is way too cost prohibitive at least for me.
I've seen these SAME units on eBay going for $700 to over $900 USD. They all say that they are drop in replacements for the 1998-2002 S-Class, but as Cartronics has pointed out, the unit is for cars with the MOST system. I think the best solution is to install a new system, speakers and all, using the proper installation kit with harnesses, etc. Believe me, I've been researching this topic for a few months now, and this is what most W220 owners have been doing to upgrade their NAV/audio system.

Mike

Last edited by mmcneil; 08-03-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: wrong post
Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mmcneil
I've seen these SAME units on eBay going for $700 to over $900 USD. They all say that they are drop in replacements for the 1998-2002 S-Class, but as Cartronics has pointed out, the unit is for cars with the MOST system. I think the best solution is to install a new system, speakers and all, using the proper installation kit with harnesses, etc. Believe me, I've been researching this topic for a few months now, and this is what most W220 owners have been doing to upgrade their NAV/audio system.

Mike
In my case, I have a 2004, which does have MOST system, so that's actually good news.

Cartronics, any way you can tell me how to get it at $400? At that price point, it is almost worth the gamble.
Also, so is the unit from cars-electronics from Haulingan or Dynavin or something else, and how can you tell?

Lastly, it seems there is an extensive discussion on similar Haulingan and Dynavin units for BMW:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1512832

Just wish mercedes owners have more experience as well.

Last edited by superflysocal; 08-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The BMW units are considerably different than the Mercedes units. We are still testing a BMW unit, and it has been going pretty well.

To get that price you have to order 50 units. I was using it as a example of the true cost (and they have profit in that) of the unit. They just simply stink, I can't say much more than that. Almost laughable, when you get to hold one and use it (as long as it keeps working)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 PM

It's just strange that the bimmer people are having relative success with their units, especially the dynavin units.

So which of these units will work with a 2004 S430 with MOST, and how can one be sure?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is not really strange, the Bimmer places less communication load on the head unit. In a Mercedes (for most of the classes at least), the head unit is the central computer, and does a lot more than just being a radio. A BMW does not use this methodology.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Ok just found out no dynavin for the w220.

Still not sure if the hualingan will work with 2004 s430 with MOST. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2002 S500
This looks interresting...
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM

00 s430
Does someone can help with wiring the butns on the steering wheel for the volume ..which wire and the navi where to wire.. Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Mercedes 2001 s500
Thumbs up PAC-SWI-CAN2 is the answer

Originally Posted by BadBenzo
Does someone can help with wiring the butns on the steering wheel for the volume ..which wire and the navi where to wire.. Thanks
I have the latest pioneer navigation system avic-z130BT in my 2001 s500 , I use PAC-swi-can2 which u can by from EBay to control the steering wheel buttons than U also need a PAC swi-ps if u have a pioneer z130bt but if u have a different navigation check that steering wheel control for that type , but u definitely need the PAC-SWI-CAN2 for Mercedes cars.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM

2001 Mercedes S500
2001 s500

I have a 2001 s500 and want to install a Pioneer touch screen navigation system. Just to be clear, do you have to replace the BOSE speakers and amp or is this just a recommendation? I think i read in another forum that there is some form of convertr that can upgrade the fiber optic connection to RCA to eliminate this problem. is this correct?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Mercedes 2001 s500
Originally Posted by mmcneil
I'm about to upgrade the audio/navigation in my 2000 S500 and I wanted to get your opinions/advice on the direction I'm thinking of going in. I've searched this site and gained a lot of useful information and I've narrowed my options down to one of the following:

1. Install an aftermarket 2-Din unit with bluetooth, built in nav, etc. This would require the purchase of a double din dash kit, which I see ******* is offering for $175.00 with the woodgrain finish. I know that I would loose my steering wheel controls, but that may be worth having the updated system. There is also the issue of integrating the new unit with the factory amp and speakers, however, I've read where this can be resolved by using an aftermarket 5-channel amp.

2. I came across a site that was selling what they call an OEM replacement for the W220. Here's a link to the site: http://www.cars-electronics.com/2-di...oth_p1380.html

The description says that the unit will hook up to the stock amplifier and speaker systems and retains the use of the steering wheel controls via CanBUS. This unit comes with the necessary wood trim pieces to complete the installation.

Here's where I'm stuck; If I go with option one, it seems like there will be a significant amount of modification that will need to happen, which means more $$ being spent on the actual install. I'm assuming I'd need to find a shop that has experience with Mercedes installations, to avoid any issues down the road; i.e. onboard computer problems, error messages, etc.

If I go with option two, I get a "drop in" replacement which means an easier install and less $$ spent on the actual installation. Unfortunately, the unit would be coming from overseas which would be a pain if I ever needed warranty service. I'm also not too sure about the nav system they offer. Using this option I'd only have to buy the unit and pay for the installation.

I don't want to sacrifice quality in order to save a few bucks, however, I don't want to end up with the interior of my S500 rattling due to a poor installation. If anyone can offer some advice/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. All in all, what I want is a unit with a decent nav system, bluetooth, and DVD,VCD,CD,MP3,MPEG4,CD-R,WMA capability.

Thanks,

Mike
The best system right now is the pioneer AVIC Z130BT nothing else comes close to that , it has navigation , cd , DVD while driving , free satellite radio , traffic , even view YouTube videos on the screen , than u need the wood piece to go with that which it costed me around $170 , a 5 channel amp $200 a 10" sub with box in the back (take out the old sub ) $200 , u can keep the speakers but if u want more power get crunch speakers and you are all set
Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM

s500
how to remove factory sub

Does anyone know how I can remove the factory sub on a 2001 s500